Question for those of you who use an airbrush with a "versatile" compressor

tu71586

Jr Hunter
Hi everyone,

I've been searching these forums for the answer, and maybe I just have to see it in action, but I'm researching painting my Fett lid, and I'd like to use an airbrush as I eventually will also want to paint gauntlets and jetpack. So, in reading posts about airbrush compressors, I think I'd like to go the "versatile" compressor route since I have need to use one for occasional tire inflation and other potential household uses. I was looking at this compressor:

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable C1010 Heavy-Duty 1-Gallon 135 PSI Max Quiet Trim Compressor: Home Improvement

I was wondering if this might work with an airbrush and how this set up works. Will I need to regulate the pressure to no more than a certain amount (and will I be able to do this with this particular compressor)? Does the airbrush hose just attach directly to the compressor or do people buy a quick connect connector of some kind?

Sorry for these newbie questions, but I just want to make sure I've got the right set up together. Thanks!!

tu71586

I would suggest getting a compressor with a little larger tank on it. The tank on the one you posted will have to refill pretty often which means you have to hear it and it stirs up dust when the compressor kicks on. Any compressor with a regulator on (which the one you posted has as well) will allow you to adjust to the pressure your airbrush recommends. If it doesn't come with one you can always add one pretty cheaply. I recommend getting a water trap/airfilter setup to put inline between the compressor and the airbrush. It will help make sure that no debris gets into your paint from your compressor. If you have more questions feel free to ask. I will help if I can.

I recommend getting a water trap/airfilter setup to put inline between the compressor and the airbrush. It will help make sure that no debris gets into your paint from your compressor.

Thanks, FettFanatic... this was exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

Yeah something like that is what you need. You can even get them at stores like Home Depot and Lowes in the section with all the other air compressor tools, but if that fits the airbrush you have then it would be fine too.

That looks pretty small.

I use one of these and have been very happy with it:
Amazon.com: Porter-Cable C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor: Home Improvement

I purchased the same about 2 months ago and so far it has been a fantastic setup. To add something to the thread, when I researched my setup one thing that I found that wasn't always mentioned in these types of threads is that you may need a certain length of hose ahead of a moisture trap in order for it to be effective. The air from a compressor is hot and needs to cool down before it will condense. It will simply pass through the trap if it hasn't. I don't remember what the rule for length is offhand--I have a 100' hose because I don't want that loud compressor anywhere near me, and I also want the ability to use it outside like you do. I put my main trap/secondary regulator after that, then a 10 foot airbrush hose, then a small "trigger" trap directly to the brush. No problems at all so far, but I've only been at it a couple of months, so...

I also use a 100 foot hose. Whenever possible I stick the compressor in my back hard and feed the hose down to my shop so that I don't have to hear anything :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back