ESB Fett paint Question

I think there are more subtleties in the shading on the ESB armor than on the ROTJ armor. Those would be harder to do without the benefit of an airbrush.

But I think a bigger advantage to airbrushing is that it opens up the range of colors you can use immensely. If you're spray painting armor or a helmet with rattle can paints, the selection of colors only goes so far. There are some very specific colors in the Floquil line that are believed to be the colors applied to the screen used costume. Floquil does make some spray cans, but not all the colors that would be needed for a Fett costume.

In my opinion, it would be difficult to get a smooth finish without spraying or airbrushing.

There are some very inexpensive single action airbrush kits out there. For the first few years I was into prop painting, I got by with a $25 Badger set up that used canned air. If you're painting decent sized pieces (like armor plates or a helmet), something like that should do just fine. If you paint with acrylics, you don't even have to bother with paint thinner. Acrylics mix and clean up with water. :)

It is not hard at all. I bought my very first airbrush and mini-compressor with my recent first build, and I was surprised at how simple it was. I was intimidated just as you, but after reading the quick-start insert and doing a couple of practice sessions, I found it to be easier than rattle cans.
Amazon has some nice package deals on airbrushes.
Also, I've put together a mind map of paint colors for airbrush paints.
It's an easy way to go.

how hard is it to airbrush? I'm not a artist by any means.

Just a short additional comment from me (as superjedi did nail it perfectly):

The different layers of paint are much thinner than using spraycans. You fog it on so to say. This way you have more control and a pretty nice shading.

thanks guys. I think I may be teaching myself to airbrush. Hey 1mando. keep me posted on your progress. I will return the favor when I start.

The answer is as simple or as complex as you make it or how accurate you want your helmet to be.

If you want it to be "close enough", than yes, by all means you can paint an ESB helmet without an airbrush and get decent results.

*BUT*

If you lack the "artistic" skill/dedication/experience to use an airbrush, than unfortunately you may not have good results with painting an accurate helmet. Much in the same way, if you don't want to use an airbrush because you do not want to spend the money on an airbrush, than you will ultimately be disappointed in this hobby. That's just my 2cents though.

My advice would be to research, research, research. This forum has a wealth of valuable information, you just have to spend the times searching out all of the answers.

Hope that helps a little and good luck with your Boba-build :)

Hi All,

Sorry but I have initially posted on the incorrect thread ... DOH:facepalm but I have taken photos of swatches of some of the paints for the ESB armour under the thread I started called "ESB and ROTJ original paint colors for Helmet and Armor"

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/esb-rotj-original-paint-colors-helmet-armor-42544/#post561599

100_15043.JPG

100_15052.JPG

100_15104.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people have had good results with spray cans....is it easy NO....can it be done ABSOLUTELY. BUT you have LESS control than you would with an airbrush and experience with an airbrush....so if you have little or no spray can skills as in fading etc...i would try and learn to airbrush there are subtle colors in both the ESB and ROTJ armor and helmet....ultimately its up to you but you can easily spend alot of money either way you go really, there are different caps for spray painting graffiti that would lend themselves to armor for different patterns if you just CANT go with an airbrush but then it also would take practice and knowing which caps and where to get them

I have sprayed my helmet start to finish with spray cans. The results are good (see photo), but working out the costs. I could have bought an airbrush and the small pots with smaller amounts of paint, however spending £7 a pop on a spray can is also an expensive way to go. I am ordering myself some RKD armour next month after Christmas and I am going to use the cheap airbrush I bought. :)

310669_10150881083355578_775240577_21236479_1699661128_n.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back