*UPDATE-COMPLETE 5/3/12:Jayvee's deluxe ESB paint up (with an awesome BGHunter lid..)

Jayvee

Active Hunter
G’day Fett-Heads! Busy at work on my new ESB paint up - was happy with my first effort a while back, but have learnt a lot since then, and due to things like tools, not stencilling properly etc, I really wanted to make some solid improvements. I recently acquired a sensational new airbrush and compressor kit, so been really loving it. I actually have two airbrushes now –a dual action which I received with the compressor, which rocks for detail and smaller work, and a single action for larger coverage. This lid is one of James’(BGHunter), and it’s even more refined and perfect than the last one I got from him. I really can’t talk highly enough of his product, so can only hope my paint does his work some justice. I will break things down section by section,but due to time constraints, this will take me some time to finish. I am documenting this to show my progress, but also for my own use. Hope you enjoy,all feedback welcome kids!

JAYVEE’S ESB COLOUR LIST – ADDED 7/11/2012

*All the paints listed are ENAMEL based through an airbrush

BASE COAT – Humbrol 147 (light grey)

BACK PANELS - Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol Blue Grey (79), Floquil Concrete, MAIN GREEN/BLUE - Humbrol Uniform Green (76) + Humbrol RAF Blue (96) mix ratio 1:1.

DOME AND LOWER CHEEKS – Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol Blue Grey (79). MAIN GREEN - Humbrol Cockpit Green (78). Weathering on dome with sand brown (93) around visor trim, as well as various greys around dent. Lower Cheek detail in corner, has green 76+96 (1:1 ratio) with added black drops to darken until satisfied. After the main green (78) is applied, there is a light misting across bottom of cheeks with Sea Grey (27).

KILLSTRIPES : Humbrol Insignia Yellow (154); fade Humbrol Orange Lining (82) in towards middle and last killstripes.

UPPER CHEEKS – Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol Blue Grey (79). MAIN UPPER CHEEK COLOUR – Humbrol Matt Black( 33).

MANDIBLES AND TRIM - Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol Ocean Grey (106), Purple Mix – Humbrol Wine (73) + Humbrol Oxford Blue (104) mixed (1:1 ratio). I put just one or two extra drops of Wine 73 in to just tone back the blue value ever so slightly. MAIN MANDIBLE COLOUR - Humbrol Wine (73).

LEFT EAR - Humbrol Scarlet (60), Humbrol Camouflage Grey (28)+ Humbrol Light Grey (64) 1:1 ratio mix. MAIN GREEN - Humbrol Khaki Drab (159) + Humbrol Cockpit Green(78) 1:1 ratio mix. Humbrol Matt White (34) for decal.

RANGEFINDER EAR - Humbrol silver (11), Humbrol Blue Grey (79). MAIN COLOUR - Humbrol Brown Yellow (94). Arches and 9 small stripes masked, then sprayed with Humbrol Satin Black (85), white half arch Humbrol white (34).

DETAIL : A heap of fine detail work throughout entire helmet with various colors, starting from, but not limited to : Humbrol Light Grey (147), Humbrol Matt White (34), Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol Matt Black (33), Humbrol Cockpit Green (78), Humbrol Insignia Yellow (154), Humbrol Wine (73), Humbrol Leather (62).

Splatters added using main colour of Humbrol Leather (62). I also put in some light splatters using Humrol Rust (113), Humbrol Desert Yellow (93) and Humbrol light grey (147).

Last edited by a moderator:
PREP STAGES
I actually hate this part, but it has to be done. I have given some shots of the raw kit, then some where I added in the appropriate nicks and scratches, and a finally primed and basecoated lid ready for action. I am mainly using Humbrols with a couple Floquil colours here and there. The basecoat is Humbrol light grey (147). I’d like to take this time to send out big props to Terminal Fettler for his Humbrol colour lists, and also to Ponte for some variant ideas..

pr1.jpgpr2.jpgpr3.jpgpr4.jpg

pr1.jpg

pr2.jpg

pr3.jpg

pr4.jpg

INTERIOR
Still some work to be done here, but have sprayed the interior blue/grey shade, making sure it is heavier at the top in colour. It is actually very close in person to the reference pics, but is a little hard to nail down in photos, as because it is dark in the dome, you either put the flash on which makes it seem bright blue, or have no flash where it looks a little too grey. I think the photo I have here gives a fair idea though. I always prefer to spray the interior first, to limit getting any interior paint on final outside paint job (Probably just me becoming a pedantic old fart..) This section will be updated, as I have an exact replica interior also from james to add in, as well as the hard hat liner and other nooks and crannies. Once complete, the interior should look very authentic (fingers crossed anyway..). This was also the time where I fitted my visor via Chicago screws, and will fit the metal holders for the bottom of the visor later down the track after all the paint..

i1.jpg

i1.jpg

LEFT EAR
A pretty straightforward job here, the main thing that took time here was the white decal (which I am painting on this time round and not using decals), just making sure it was nice and even. Real happy with the finish, and used TF’s colour list exact with lovely colour results. I did weather up the little ‘cloud like bubble’ shape on the bottom left with a rust type colour as per the ref pics. Its one area where many of the excellent stencils have red in them, which isn’t actually present on the real lid. With all my paint, I use the stencils as much as possible, but there are some inaccuracies, so I am constantly going to the reference pics (and getting square eyes in the process.. :/) the final upside down ‘E’ decals I have rub on letters for which I will add down the track..

Left Ear Colour List : Humbrol (147) base coat, Humbrol Red (60), Humbrol Grey (28)+(64) 1:1 ratio, Humbrol Green (159)+(78) 1:1 ratio, Humbrol white (33) for decal.

le1.jpgle2.jpgle3.jpg

le1.jpg

le2.jpg

le3.jpg

BACK PANELS
Wow, these were seriously time consuming. Some of the stencilling and liquid mask sessions were marathon sessions, and while I was rapt with the result, I won’t lie in telling you I loved every minute of it – far from it actually. But, the moment where you peel all that liquid mask off, and your paintjob stars to come to life, definitely is rewarding. It’s at this time i’d like to thank the excellent Humbrol Maskol – Such a great guy. Such an easy masking fluid to use, I’ve had very few if any bad experiences with it, and even while waiting for a colour to come in, and leaving it on for a week, it peeled off as easy as if it had only been on a day. Really happy with my back panels, I aimed to get them as close as possible.

bp1.jpgbp2.jpgbp3.jpgbp4.jpgbp5.jpg

bp1.jpg

bp2.jpg

bp3.jpg

bp4.jpg

bp5.jpg

BACK PANELS (cont...)
Still in the process of adding in all the fine scratches (you will see the start of these on the right panel upper angled ‘T’ shape scratch starting to get added, and you may sight some light water soluble white pencil reference lines), and a few fine details, but they are essentially 98% done. Used all of TF’s colours once again, except I used Floquil ‘Concrete’ for the beige, as I still think that is the closest. More to come over the weeks peeps..

Back Panel Colour List : Humbrol light grey (147) base coat, Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol grey (79), Floquil Concrete, Humbrol Green (76) + Blue (96) mix ratio 1:1.

fbp1.jpgfbp2.jpgfbp3.jpgcomparison 1.jpgcomparison 2.jpg

fbp1.jpg

fbp2.jpg

fbp3.jpg

comparison 1.jpg

comparison 2.jpg

I will be watching this paint job as I am doing ESB as well. Love it mate...truly awesome stuff.
I haven't done much to my lid, its an early resin one from BGH. I am just about to prime it but I will be using spray paints and will have to double check the paint list.

I'll be watching this with great interest. I need all the advice and tutorials I can get before starting my own ESB lid, and yours look wicked sweet already. Can't wait to see more progress on this :)

Thanks for the kind words fellas, it will be a long process, so you may have to bear with me, as I am much into taking as long as I need, but will update over the months as I go. Thanks again peeps :)

Nice. I'm on-board; the timing is perfect! I'm about to start the same with one of Asok's cold cast buckets using TF's tutorial as a guide with appropriate changes for the CC.

I love what you did on the lower part of the left ear. (y)

Thanks for the positive feedback chaps. For those of you who have mentioned you are also doing a similar paintup at the moment, any thoughts, advice or questions you have, just let me know. Sharing ideas and results is after all a big part of the process. Thanks again for looking gang :)

Hi!

I've been lurking around for awhile, and have made couple of helmets myself from fiberglass. None them are painted yet and I am about to get one of them to to painting stage. I was wondering how many "cans" you need of humbrol for say the base coat? I mean the 14ml tiny pots. Is one enough of each color needed for the whole helmet or do i need multiple jars of the same colour? And they have to be thinned for the airbrush, of course?

Thanks

Hi there murolaattori, welcome to the boards buddy. Really good question, I wondered the same thing before I experimented with the airbrush. The 14ml tins actually go a lot further than you think, the general rule I used was to buy 2-3 tins for the colours that cover the most areas, such as the basecoat grey, silver and dome and cheeks green. You likely wont need 3 tins, 1 and a half to 2 should be fine, but I liked to have a little more there just incase.

You will indeed need to thin the aints before airbrushing, but dont go too overboard here. Humbrol recommend 2 parts paint to one part thinner, but I actually use a little less thinner than that even. A good rule is to have the paint about the consistency of milk. The other thing to note here is your air pressure - give it some more psi's if the paint is thicker, less if the paint is thinner. Imagine blowing some water out a straw as opposed to blowing some McDonalds thickshake out of a straw - it would take more effort and pressure to blow out the thickshake. Same principle with your air pressure on your compressor (that is providing you are using a compressor and not a can of propellant). Anyways, hope that makes sense, let me know how you get on! :)

Thanks for the info! My dad has a compressor so I will be able to paint at my parents house. Do you have any experience on the cheap humbrol airbrush? Since I'm gonna use the stencil method I'm not looking for accuracy but rather a smooth surface and I will settle with the humbrol or any other cheap airbrush as long as they give me a smooth surface. Have any recommendations?

I still can't start the painting for awhile since I still have some finishing to do on the helmet and university takes up my time pretty well. But when I get to that phase I wanna have everything ready. I'm anxious to start painting! :)

I havn't used the humbrol airbrushes unfortunatly, but have used some similar cheaper ones in the past. Generally they are basic single action airbrushes which will be fine for a smooth surface that you are chasing. I think the only hurdle you may have is hooking it up to your compressor - you will have to make sure the airhose you get with it fits your compressor, as if i'm not mistaken, the cheaper brushes are generally designed to fit a can of air propellant. It could be a simple case of just getting a small adaptor though, or you may be in luck and it all fits okay. once you get that going, it should be fine. I have a paasche singe action, and a delta dual action airbrush which also came with a compressor and holding tank. I think delta is an australian brand, but its virtually exactly the same as an iwata - fantastic little set, I love it. But you have to go for whats economical and in your price and availability range. Peace :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back