360° of Real Armor !!

Not at all. They are obviously decals on the ROTJ style armor and before these pictures, the exhibit shots were all we had to go on.

While the ROTJ chest logos were created using the ESB one as a base, the shoulder logo was made after the Pre-Pro #3 logo. I can't say it for sure, but the sister armors (Pre-Pro #2, Sandy and ROTJ v1) looks like painted and the twin armors (Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and ESB) looks like decals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think there decals at all Im sure they were painted with negative cut outs but Ive noy seen any reason to think them actual decals,
And considering we know the PP2 was supossed to be used for ESB but went missing ,I think it is possible that the ESB wasnt the first to have them added

So certain are you?
Boba Fett Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

I thought it was pretty much decided we are looking at screen printed decals of some sort. Not painted on for sure on this ROTJ armor. The chest decal is the same.

Also, I dont know that I believe the PP2 was intended to be the ESB suit. It is not clear where the separation between the film and tour suits is but I dont believe any of the helmets or armor Sandy painted were supposed to end up on screen.

So certain are you?
Boba Fett Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

I thought it was pretty much decided we are looking at screen printed decals of some sort. Not painted on for sure on this ROTJ armor. The chest decal is the same.

Also, I dont know that I believe the PP2 was intended to be the ESB suit. It is not clear where the separation between the film and tour suits is but I dont believe any of the helmets or armor Sandy painted were supposed to end up on screen.

I second that! My thought was the same: just because they used the Pre-Pro #2 in almost all the promotional images this doesn't mean that this suit was intended for ESB. It seems that the Sandy suits were created just for promotional purposes, this is why we see all those helmet-armor combinations in most of the promo images.

While that image you posted isn't the ROTJ Hero's right shoulder bell, it was done the same way using the Pre-Pro #3 as a template.

Hay Im always willing to be proven wrong and it seems in that instance I may be , got one of the chest decals.

So why did the ROTJ suit end up on screen? if never intended to there was the ESB suit and PP3 that they could have used,

I personally think the ESB ended up on screen because Joe Johnson was able to get his work up instead of Sandys , cnsider the posibility your working on the film, youve painted an armour for a characture , (you are bias to your own work, fair enough) would you put in the one you painted or the one some one else did.

I know its a wild theorie but it makes sense

Well, my thoughts are this:

I think that because the ESB Hero helmet was damaged during the filming of Empire, then heavily damaged after the stunt helmets were molded for the Jedi, they decided to not use this helmet for aesthetical reasons (it would look ugly in close shots).

Why they didn't used the ESB and/or Pre-Pro #3 armor in ROTJ? I think because of the look of those armors: the right chest has a different paint scratch color then the rest of the armor and the shoulder bells wasn't identical by color. I think they tried to eliminate that 'gathered armor parts over the years' look and repainted the armors from Empire (ESB Hero, Pre-Pro #3 and some Pre-Pro #1). They didn't used the Sandy armors because of the non identical phisical damages while the twin armors were the perfect choice. And they used the ROTJ Hero helmet because the Sandy helmet was already damaged(?) or not too aesthetical, while the Pre-Pro #2 was at Don Post where it was damaged by the employees(?).

I believe that the Boba Fett decisions for both movies, Empire and Jedi were influenced by the movie directors, Kershner and Marquand, and Lucas himself and maybe for practical reasons. But who knows...

Sorry but I dont think that makes sense at all. 1 SE ROTJ, ESB Helmet used and didnt match the what shouldve been used , and it was in a much worse state than it was in previous to what it would have been in ROTJ times, 2 the damage seems to be present through out ESB ,, and the ROTJ armor is a Sandy armor so there for the damge doesnt match to ESB any way ,
Ireally dont think they put as much tought in to choosing which armor goes with what as we may think they did , the rotj helmet was used in conjunction with the stunts that dont match the ROTJ helmet at all

Any way its all speculation , even the artists dont remember so we will never trully know

If you say that the ROTJ armor was painted by Sandy (which I don't think), did you take a closer look on that armor's painting? It's the worst paint job and looks very un-professional. Just compare her painting style of the Pre-Pro #2 from the blu-ray images with the ROTJ armors from the exibits.

You very well may be right on that point

How ever ,She had never done any thing like the Fett armour b4 and was making it up as she went

I mean, she painted three sets of beatiful armors for Pre-Pro #2, Sandy and ROTJ v1, then (according to your opinion) she painted at approximately the same period the ROTJ v2 armor in a hurry which resulted in a not too professional paint job. Why she did an easy task (the ROTJ Hero armor and stunts) so pourly, but a more complex three set of armors at the same time in a real professional way? If this is the case, then we have seven sets of armors and not six...

I'm pretty sure Sandy didn't paint the RotJ armour because it was repainted for RotJ and for RotJ everything was made in the ILM circle so they didn't have to contract external people.

I've always thought that they just grabbed whatever was handy. I never imagined there was a conscious decision about any of it. I just figured they did a whole bunch of different paintups to see what they liked and eventually just grabbed parts out of a box and ran with it ;)

I don't know if this was poined out before, and is a bit off topic, but because we were discussing about the 'resurfaced' Pre-Pro #2 armor parts (we already knew about the left knee pad from the AoSW/C-IV exibits) here is another part wich was converted (it seems just the whip cord housing only) to ROTJ or just for the ROTJ SE.

PP2 To ROTJ Gauntlets.jpg

I thought I would give this a bump.

RafalFett, yes I thought that reused gauntlet was interesting. When it first reappeared on the C4 Fett display I was surprised people werent more excited to see a PP2 part. Little did I know that the parts this thread is about would reappear too!

Here is a closer compare I made at the time.
pp2-c4gauntletcomp.jpg

Looks like the whipcord housing is different. It seems to be the ESB style one in the PP. Must have changed it to accomodate more tubes connecting to the guantlet. It is a very aggressive look.

I thought I would give this a bump.

RafalFett, yes I thought that reused gauntlet was interesting. When it first reappeared on the C4 Fett display I was surprised people werent more excited to see a PP2 part. Little did I know that the parts this thread is about would reappear too!

Here is a closer compare I made at the time.
pp2-c4gauntletcomp.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back