New to me -- Zuckuss in Bespin

Fettered

Hunter
I watched Star Wars and Empire on blu ray this weekend and I have to say that, ignoring some of the changes that have been made over the years, I really was impressed with picture quality. I'd never seen a blu ray film that I knew really well, so I have always had little basis for comparison. I enjoyed this very much, and found myself spotting new things here and there as a consequence, perhaps because of the quality, or perhaps due to looking at it critically again.

At any rate, something I had never noticed before was the presence of the Zuckuss suit prop laying amongst the junk when Chewie is gathering up C3PO in Bespin. I Had seen the IG-88 before, but sort of chalked that up to droids being mass produced. Zuckuss is screen right of the two Ugnauhts. I realize that what likely was going on is that the film makers were just using whatever junk they had that looked good for the scene, but for me it does beg another question...

Now, I've never been one to follow the EU very closely at all, but I am at least aware of some of the accepted lore. So, I pose the question, have there ever been any interpretations that have Boba Fett taking out the other bounty hunters in Bespin? He obviously tracked the Falcon alone, but equally obviously alerted the Empire, or at least Vader, making it somewhat plausible the other bounty hunters might find out and try to steal the bounty.

Again, I'm not well-versed in EU lore, partially because I find some of it to be silly and not in concert with how I see the films, but this has me thinking about off-screen activity. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by these images I can't say that this is the same IG-88 or Zuckuss from the ones on the Executor's bridge:

The IG-88 looks unfinished and unpainted and the Zuckuss looks different from the Executor scene.

I think that (as you mentioned) they used in that scene what was at hand and nothing more. The rest is just our imagination...

screenshot20110902at143.png

Executor Bridge 12.jpg

Bounty.jpg

There is a back story that , Boba Fett blew IG88 up on bespin an as for Zuckass well Ive never seen his helmet/head there before but it is definantly him ,
interesting,
but yeah propbly just used what ever they had around as filler for the scene, I guess they didnt think 30 years on people would be scrutinizing the reason for those charactures being there,

The EU's explanation for the IG-88 unit is that it was easentially a collective mind of six units. Boba Fett pretty much accounted for the destruction of most of the units. Including the one on Cloud Ciry that he took out.

Thanks for the screen grabs. That is exactly what I was talking about.

And yeah, we do get kind of wrapped up in minutia that has nothing to do with anything anyone thought about back then. I just had never seen that in there before and wondered if anyone had run with it for a story. As TX pointed out, the EU creators ran with the IG being there. I can't believe I still can find stuff like that (sometimes things that everyone else on the planet seems to know) after seeing these films so many times!

Thanks for the screen grabs. That is exactly what I was talking about.

And yeah, we do get kind of wrapped up in minutia that has nothing to do with anything anyone thought about back then. I just had never seen that in there before and wondered if anyone had run with it for a story. As TX pointed out, the EU creators ran with the IG being there. I can't believe I still can find stuff like that (sometimes things that everyone else on the planet seems to know) after seeing these films so many times!

I think that's the whole fun of watching these films you always see something new. Especially with the new hi rez screengrabs from the blu rays. :lol:

Unrelated but on the same train of thought... There's a second carbon freezing platform off to the right as Vader enters the scene. Never noticed that before!

Just to nit pick, you are referring to 4 LOM not Zuckuss, 4 LOM is the robot and Zuckuss is a Gand, Kenner confused the names with the action figures.
In EU 4 LOM and Zuckuss felt that capturing the rebels leaving Hoth would be profitable rather than chase the Millennium Falcon so took out a transport, subsequent to the story 4 LOM and Zuckuss join the rebels on a promise that Zuckuss whose lungs were burnt by breathing oxygen (Gand breath ammonia not oxygen) , would receive medical attention. Tales of the Bounty Hunters is the book.
Good spotting though, at a quick glance it looks like a TIE pilot on the left of screen, it's not of course.

Thanks for the backstory, Mike. I've heard that isn't a fantastic book, but the stories sound interesting. Yeah, that kind of does look like a tie helmet, doesn't it?

Actually, I still think it is the Zuckuss head that is in that scene (not 4 LOM the droid), but I might be mistaken. They are similar so it is tough to tell in these photos, but Zuckuss has smaller eyes. This was part of the weirdness for me, actually--that if intentional (which I don't think it was) that it was the biological character, not the droid, that was in the scene. I could be wrong, it is tough to see. I'll be checking the blu ray again!

And hey, nit-picking is what we do! :cheers

Zuckuss didn't die on Bespin...

And I remember I got a serie of Zuckuss 4-lom and Bosk trying to get Solo in carb, be4 Boba delivers to Jabba.

So I gues that's not Zuckuss.

I don't think anybody was implying that Zuckuss perished on Bespin.

Parts of the comic of Shadows of the Empire dealt with a group of bounty hunters that included Bossk, Zuckuss, and 4-Lom trying to get Han from Boba. It also starts with IG-88(D) attempting to attack Slave-1 and steal Han.

little info from "star-wars das offiziele magazin":
ig-88(a): killed on second death star
ig-88 b:killed in cloud city
ig-88 c: killed by boby fett
ig-88 d: killed by dash rendar

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back