UK spray can colours?

@BGHunter -

I have just popped to my local hobby store and they sell small Tamiya spray cans for £5.99 a pop. What colours were you going to recommend from them?

PMed as well.

I think its called german Field grey or just field grey, how ever its is actually a bit light so in the past Ivbe used that with a dust coating of a darker green Ill have a look through my paints to see the other names later today

Thanks mate, I have got pretty much everything sorted out with the odd cheap Rustoleum paint that's on sale & some cheap local spray paints that are pretty generic i.e. Navy Blue. But a name for an accurate Tamyia paint would be AWESOME.

Its XF-65 field grey. But i dont think its available on the spray cans. Your only option is to buy the bottles. Acrylics or enamels is good as long as you put on a clear flat coat on top to protect your paint. Personally i would use enamels as its much tougher than the acrylic counterpart. Enamels just take longer to dry.

Field grey (trust me, it is actually green and not grey), is indeed the tamiya colour you are after, and it does definately come in the spray can version. The uk may not be exactly the same as here in australia, but if you have any graffiti art shops that stock 'Ironlak' spray paints, they are awesome, and I made an empire helmet paintup thread a while back listing all these colours. I still found the best green to use from a can, was a colourbond colour called 'rivergum/willow'. The brand was 'anchor paints', and got it at my local hardware store. Good luck bud!

As for using enamels . Tamiya spray paint is very hard wearing goes on well has a good solid finish and works well with other paints . One of the best option you can get in spray cans for painting helmets

Unfortunantly (Ironlak) dont have a good green

yep, that was the only problem. Ironlak was great for just about every colour bar the green - thats where i used the rivergum/willow coulour instead..

Tamiya spray cans are Laquer btw. Fyi. Ive used them for years on scale models. Very tough and very good. Very expensive where you live though. Out here they cost around $4 a can.

Helmet - Green: Field Grey (Tamiya)
Mandibles - Red: Claret Wine (Rustoleum)
Back panels & right ear - Khaki: Khaki (Rustoleum)
Back panels - Navy Blue: Similar colour (Ironlak)
Back panels - Green: _____ // recommended 'Hunter Green' by Rustoleum
Left ear- Olive Green: Similar colour (Ironlak)
Dark basecoat - Dark Grey: Similar colour (Ironlak)
Misting upper cheek - Black: Black (eBay)
Primer - Primer: Primer (eBay)
Left ear scratches - Red: Similar colour (Ironlak)

This is my plan, have I missed anything? Also, my Khaki paint is a glossy one, is that an issue?

All looks good exept Id sugest ussing a different green on the left ear mabey Tamiya british green , also mabey try Tamiya dull red for the main red also for the upper cheeks you could go for Tamiya matt black

I've already bought a matt black off eBay for £3. Tamiya Britsh Green? Ok, but the green on the left ear is just a dulled down light green, and Tamiya paints are £1 more than Ironlak haha.

p.s. do you work for Tamiya? :p

Dulled down light green? no its darker than the main colour on the helmet, but do what works for you
and the black you have will be fine,

Oh yeah, so it is.

boba-fett-esb-helmet-stencils-facecolortemplate.jpg

I will be working from this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty good, for the back panels, i actually used an Ironlak colour called 'neverland' - its a green blue - probably more on the bluer side, but i thought it was pretty accurrate on its own. If you do a search for a thread of mine titled something like 'jayvees jinto lid esb paintup', you will see these colours in action plus which ones I used listed down. I actually like ironlak 'matador' for the mandibles too - but by all accounts, the claret wine is a good option too. let me know if you have any questions bud..

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back