xxDreamWalker's WIP

Okay, so I've finally decided to make my own WIP-thread. I don't have too much to show yet, but I'm the kind of person who needs to write things down as I do them. So where better to make an in-progress thread than in this fantastic forum!?

To me, planning is half the fun. Which is why I'll probably be asking random questions as I move along on my costume. I need to have everything planned, because if I come to a stop and don't know what to do from there, I have a bad habit of giving up. Which I won't do this time. Cheer me on, will you?

Okay, over to the WIP then... I'm currently working on a scratchbuilt cardboard helmet (Rafal's templates), and I only have the dome left of the basic shaping. I'll post pictures later today. I have also ordered and paid for one of Asok's cold cast helmets, as well as a cape, spats and wookie braids from Woodman. So at least I have begun the process. But due to no studies and no job, money is the biggest issue here. So this might take a while....

And then I have a question. I've figured that I want to do the ROTJ SE Boba, and I can't seem to find any good reference pics of the helmet alone in the SE section of the gallery. But that helmet, is it ESB? With the yellow killstripes and all... I want to start looking for paints, that's why I ask. So any suggestions to colours and where I can get them would be nice.

Love,
xxDreamWalker

the rotj se helmet is ESB. you can find all the reference pictures of that helmet you'll need in the art of star wars and celebration IV galleries.

Thanks! So at least I got that right...

Okay, so here's what I have on the helmet (or at least what I have pictures of). I've added more of the dome parts than shown in these pics, but I won't take new pictures until I've added the dome. And yeah, I know it's not perfect. Far from it. But it's my very first try, so I think it's okay. And I messed it up more than once, so I've had to find my own solutions on some parts. Btw, I've developed a deep hatred for the cheeks and the ears on this thing....

Only thing that really bugs me so far is the left cheek. It's not as deep as it should be. Oh well. First try. I'll keep it like this for now.

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

Yeeeah, I also abuse the glue gun... Poor thing.

Looks good so far!
I think you already know that this type of cardboard is not the best material to work with. I used the same type with my second RWH prototype (in lack of other materials at that time) and it was ugly, not to mention that this cardboard didn't help you in the construction stages. If this helmet is just to experiment things, then it's OK, otherwise I don't recommend using it, mostly because this type of cardboard has two layers with a hollow interior and at any moment you can ruin the helmet's surface and/or shape. But as I said, so far the shape is looking good and I really like the dome frame. You already glued both face templates, the inner and outer parts?

Yeah, the cardboard is terrible! It's too thick and really difficult to work it. But I went with it just to see if I would be able to make my own helmet from scratch. If I'm to make another, I'll definitely find some different cardboard. Probably buy online. That newspaper cardboard or whatever it was called that was recommended a few times on this forum sounds nice.

Yes, everything has been glued at this stage, except from the dome, ears and keyhole. But as I said, I kind of messed it up a couple of times and had to find my own solutions, so it's probably not 100% correctly done. But I'll probably be trooping in Asok's helmet anyway, so this will just be for testing my skills. Or lack thereof. Time will tell.

Glad you think I'm on the right track, though!

Okay, not too much have been done lately because my economy doesn't allow much. I did, however, buy a cold cast helmet from Asok. I received it a few days ago, and it's awesome! A bit more solid and durable than what I'm working on with the cardboard, me thinks.

I've also been trying to look for the needed paints, and this is where everything becomes a pain in my a**. We have close to none of the needed paints here in Norway, and I have difficulties finding websites that ship overseas. Not sure how much any of you can help me out on this? Not sure if I should start looking for similar colours that exists over here, continue roaming the web for oversea-shipments or whatever...

I understand why they don't ship overseas. But it would be nice to get the accurate colours. If I can't get these colours, I'm gonna need even more help finding the closest colours possible from what we have over here. Man, sometimes I really hate living in such a small country.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

(I've been using AFFO$'s list, btw. Those are the colours I'm looking for.)

Talk with KaanE. He did some research to find matching colors for the ROTJ and PP2, and maybe for the ESB too. He's European like us.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back