Phantom ESB Fett

I have started to clean up the armour and I have a question.
I have tidied and trimmed it up a bit but not sure if I have to trim it some more. I have left a bit of a return on the shoulders of about 2-3mm and on the chest and rest of the armour of about 4-5mm.
ArmourTrim01.gif

ArmourTrim02.gif

ArmourTrim03.gif

ArmourTrim05.gif

ArmourTrim04.gif

My question is should I take it right back to the fold line from the mold, as shown by the white tape in a couple of the photos above? Or leave it with the small return edge. I want it as accurate as possible but me, I personally like the look of it with the small return edge.
Would really like the opinions of the experts here please.

Ok...now that I have had some time and all the Christmas stuff is over...thought I better do a quick update.
I have had a chance to silver up all of the armour and helmet. A few little cracks in the helmet, around the left ear, I thought I fixed up but paint seems to show up every little imperfection. I am not overly worried as I will upgrade the helmet down the track after I have got my 501st approval.
Silver01.jpg

Silver02.jpg

Silver03.jpg

Silver04.jpg

Silver05.jpg

Silver08.jpg

Silver09.jpg

I have also had a crack at marking out the silver part of the damage. I have also marked the areas on the helmet for scratches on the mandibles and little chips on the lower cheeks. Just need to get some more silver paint to touch them up before I mask those areas off. I forgot to print out the templates at work for the dome so will do that next week. I am using Rafs excelent templates for this...thanks so much mate. I have used liquid mask on the armour. Had a few probs where the mask wouldn't take obviously from where I have had my fingers, you can see that on the shoulder...loads of masking fluid :) I am going to use the layered painting technique using spray cans. Will be hitting the armour with yellow tomorrow.
SilverMasked01.jpg

SilverMasked02.jpg

SilverMasked03.jpg

SilverMasked04.jpg

SilverMasked05.jpg

Thoughts...comments...love to hear back

Very cool, I can't wait to get my bucket to painting stage... it will be fun to say the least :)
How long have you spent on this so far Phantom?
Just the helmet was almost an hour and a half or so to mark it out, the armour was a bit longer trying to get the marks in the dents right was the hardest part and then about two hours masking only because the masking fluid didn't take well in places.

Dude, this looks fantastic, did you hand draw that detail on the helmet, or is that some kind of transfer from the templates?
Thanks mate. I used RafalFetts' templates. Printed them out and then scaled them up/down to suit the armour/helmet. I got some graphite paper (like carbon paper) from an art supply shop near where I work.

Ok. Got some colour on today not happy.
Ran out of the yellow, just as well not a great looking colour even with a couple of light coats. Went and got a couple of others to test out.
I am leaning towards the yellow on the strip on the bottom left, maybe I can use the one on the right for the kill stripes.
Please let me know what you think, I want to get the yellow down in the next day or two.
Yellow01.jpg

Taken outdoors in natural light
Yellow02.jpg

Taken indoors under fluorescent light

I am pretty happy with how it all turned out so far. Had a couple of little issues with the paint. Went on ok in most places but it feels a little rough and I got some crazing on the cod piece. Not big problems some steel wool to smooth out the roughness and some sand paper to fix the crazing just to smooth it out as it will be green in that area, so as I said no big probs. Some knuckle head got so excited he sprayed the left shoulder all yellow then noticed the ref pics and templates have a dull grey on there 'doh. So after a lot of sanding I got it back to the base, re-primed and re silvered. Now I can put on the masking tonight and spray grey tomorrow morning then mask out and do the yellow then all the yellow is done.
YellowArmour01.jpg

YellowArmour02.jpg

Will do some test sprays of some greens tomorrow to hopefully get some feedback from you guys.

Looking awesome dude. Can't wait to see how it turns out!! What masking fluid are you using and where did you source it?

Looking awesome dude. Can't wait to see how it turns out!! What masking fluid are you using and where did you source it?
Thanks mate. I am using Art Spectrum masking fluid. I got it from Oxlades in the Valley not far from where I work. Most good art shops or model shops should have some. If you can't find any let me know and I will see if I can pick some up for ya.

Well down to the greens....
As I am using spray cans and the little cans of Tamiya are a bit expensive I have done a test run using some colours suggested to me by Jayvee.
From left to right
Colorbond 'Wilderness' - helmet, armour, gaunts, jetpack
Colorbond 'Cottage Green' - misting armour
Fiddly Bits 'Heritage Green' - misting armour
Tamiya 'Field Gray' TS-78 - helmet, armour, gaunts, Jetpack
Taniya 'Olive Green' AS-14 - left ear
Tamiya 'Dull Red' TS-33 - for sienna on right shoulder
Squirts 'Clay Stone' - for sienna on right shoulder
ColourSwatches01.jpg

ColourSwatches02.jpg

The Wilderness colour and Field Gray are so very close its not funny. Wilderness is probably a little glossier but matt sealer over the top should be ok. I could use the Tamiya for the helmet as there isn't much there.
Not sure if Wilderness is ok for the rest of the armour as the rest of the armour looks darker. Would I use it as a base and build up the colour misting with the other darker green and then with weathering?
The Cottage Green and Heritage Green are pretty close the Heritage Green being a bit darker. Both are a little glossy. Would either one of these be ok for misting on the armour to darken it up?
The Tamiya Olive Green looks a bit dull, should I look for a more greener green for the left ear?
Thoughts or suggestions please :)

Thanks Raf, that does help. I will use the Wilderness colour darken it up with a mist of a darker green and weathering in places.
Another little problem has popped up. While re-masking the left shoulder I noticed that the decal I have is way too small. The templates from Raf on RKDs armour fit perfectly and the skull emblem on that is much larger. What is the size supposed to be for the skull and the chest emblem? The decals I got when I bought the kit just look way to small, I could have used them on my sons armour.
The Fenixprops decal is roughly just under 3 x 1.5 inches and Rafs template one is roughly 4 x 2 inches.
I was thinking of hitting Lucksy31 up for some of his.
LeftShoulderDecal01.jpg

LeftShoulderDecal02.jpg

LeftShoulderDecal03.jpg

Why don't you paint it yourself? You can find all my chest and shoulder decals in the Armor sticky thread.
I saw that you drawn the Medium Gray to the left shoulder. I assume that you know that this is a misted color (like the Sienna) and you should draw only a preliminary contour, then mist the color using the stencils (or any reference material you have) as a guidance.

It has been a while a few paint issues but solved.
I have all the yellow done and masked ready for the green.
I have done the green on the back part of the belt to see how it looked. I think it looks ok for spray paints. It will need a bit of weathering on it but I would like to know what you guys think. Is the green ok? I know indoor photography makes it a bit tough with paint colours. I wanted to do a small part before I painted all the armour. Once I get some feed back will be painting the rest.
Armour01.jpg

Armour02.jpg

Armour03.jpg

I have also cut up the cape and I have had it hanging outside on my sons basket ball hoop for a week or so. We have a front loader so it is a bit tougher to get the fraying effect so I am rubbing it on the concrete outside to fray it up and rough it up a bit before I weather it.
Cape01.jpg

Thoughts and comments are always welcome.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back