Materials and other advice for making helmet?

Hey, everyone!

New girl at the forum, and thought I'd ask you "veterans" for some help. I want to make the she-Fett costume and I'm planning to build the helmet using WOF's templates, but I have one small problem... I've never done anything like this before! I'm so ashamed...

So I'm wondering if you have any advice when it comes to materials, first of all. Like I said, I've never done anything like this, so I thought I'd try to make the helmet out of cardboard. But if I do, how thick/thin would it need to be? I have some cardboard here, but it's about 3mm. Would that be too thick? Or is it some other material that's just as easy (or easier) to make the helmet out of? I only have the basic tools, not very much money, and would prefer not to make my first helmet out of metal or anything scary like that...

Also, I'm wondering about the process after the building of the helmet. I see people using fiberglass and resin to strengthen the helmet. How would that be done? The fiberglass I've found at my local stores looks like some sort of paper. Is that the correct one? And what is that resin? (English is not my mother-tongue, so all of these words are kind of lost to me... Although I'm sure we have all of it here in Norway. I just don't know what to call it.)

I apologize for random questions, but I really want to make this helmet! And I want it to look good! So... Every advice is much appreciated! :love

// xxDreamWalker

Welcome to TDH!

It's not a shame to ask. For a scratch build helmet the best to use is a 2mm thick cardboard (this is how I did mine) but others also used sintra (some kind of plastic sheet (?)) or even trash cans. There are several threads of great scratch build helmets, one of them is AntMan ==> AntMan's Second Helmet Build. I also did two helmets: the first one is made using WOF's templates and the second one is made with my own templates. The build thread is here ==> Making The First Rafal Works Helmet.

If you want to troop with your helmet, then you should strenghten yours, but I'm no expert on this. Maybe others will help you.

I just looked through your thread, and must say wow! I'm impressed! You made it look so much easier than everything else I've found so far, so I think I'll go with your methods and templates!
But I intend to wear it, so I guess I should strengthen and bondo it or something as well. And I'll probably paint it myself rather than using paper. But man, the helmet is looking wicked sweet! Thanks a bunch for showing me that thread :D

Edit:
Whoops, guess I used a forbidden word there... Changed it to 'wicked sweet'. Because it is!

I just looked through your thread, and must say wow! I'm impressed! You made it look so much easier than everything else I've found so far, so I think I'll go with your methods and templates!
But I intend to wear it, so I guess I should strengthen and bondo it or something as well. And I'll probably paint it myself rather than using paper. But man, the helmet is looking wicked sweet! Thanks a bunch for showing me that thread :D

Edit:
Whoops, guess I used a forbidden word there... Changed it to 'wicked sweet'. Because it is!

Thanks for your kind words! I really love that helmet, it's amazing, and not because I did it, simply because it IS. Mine is for display and this is why I didn't strenghtened the helmet.

If you do the helmet using my templates, then you can pass the paint stencil template parts and for the bondo and polish do what AntMan did on that thread I posted earlier.

If you want additional information with the helmet measurement and how I did those templates, then check this out ==> The Rafal Works Helmet Project.

I eagerly await to see your build thread.

And I'm eager to start the build! Templates are being printed as I write.

I'll be sure to check out AntMan's thread as well! Thanks so much for your advice so far. Those threads and templates gave me just the courage I needed to start this project!

When you get up to the resin stage, do it in a well ventillated area.
It is great stuff to work with, but the smell is not good - it can make you sick

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back