How to dye the right color?

Luis

Hunter
I bought some white cotton twill.. and a few bags of grey dye. ( i plan to have my flightsuit sewn)

The dye works when i "cook" the cloth/flightsuit in a pot.. But I'm afraid I might make my flightsuit FUBAR...

Are there any how to's? The guy who sold me the dye said to just add more water to make the dye a bit lighter on the cloth..

Is there another way to dye this with stuff you are familiar with i can get on-line?

I believe RIT also has a dye remover. I don't think it would remove all the color completely but just enough to try again.

And weathering will help darken too. Don't forget that.

What color / brand dye are you using? I just recevied my MOW boots and am looking for the proper die for my ROTJ setup.

I'm thinking of using Rit dye or something similar..

Are there sites with techiniques and how to's? Im really scared the color might come out uneven and i might F* it up..

How do i get the right shade of light grey? Does anybody have an idea how much dye to lets say a gallon of hot water?

I used two packets of Dylon China Blue on Deb's grey flightsuit and pouches and it came out much better than most of the RIT suits I've seen. I just re-dyed my stuff today as it was fading and lacked the blue-ness I wanted. I added a bit of Bahama blue. but it came out too turqoise looking, so I need to figure out how to fix that. Stick with the China Blue in my opinion ( when starting with a grey flightsuit).

Good luck !

I used two packets of Dylon China Blue on Deb's grey flightsuit and pouches and it came out much better than most of the RIT suits I've seen. I just re-dyed my stuff today as it was fading and lacked the blue-ness I wanted. I added a bit of Bahama blue. but it came out too turqoise looking, so I need to figure out how to fix that. Stick with the China Blue in my opinion ( when starting with a grey flightsuit).

Good luck !

I was thinking Rit. But seems that Dylon is a better choice..

Which dye brands do you guys recommend? I want to do a light grey, mixed with a hint of blue for my ROTJ..

Luis, as I mentioned before, I re-dyed mine, it was too strong of a blue, so I put it in the wash with a bit of bleach and it came out fine.

My suggestion, if you have a suit made of grey material, is just 2 packets of the Dylon China Blue. If you are starting with white, my thought would be to dye it grey first, to see what you wind up with, and then the blue. That's for my ESB, for an ROTJ, I think that it's primarily a grey suit. You would use the Dylon Antique Grey. I would use 2 packets. I don't think there is any need to make it blue though. If you want to add a touch of blue, I would only add 1/2 packet or less of the China Blue, but I think just grey is appropriate.

I've never used the RIT, so I can't speak from experience on it, but the Dylon has been great. I found it at Jo-Ann's Fabrics a chain in my area.

Thanks again for the advice! I'll get the Dylon brand as I know it's been tried and tested :)

How much salt do i put in the tub? I know I have to use a large tub to dye the clothes in..

Do i use a pot so the heat is continuous? or do i just use hot water?

I'll check out the antique grey!

I used one of those plastic tubs with the rope handles that you find at Walmart or Lowes, sort of like a laundry basket without the holes. It was cheap, plus I could use it for other things. Salt is cheap, I think it's 1 tablespoon for every cup of warm water. It's 4 cups of warm water for each 1/2 pound of clothing. I used 15 cups just because it felt right. ( Because I was using 3 packets, you may use 3 as well, it's up to you. ) It was just warm water, not hot, but I did it outside in the sun to keep it warm. I used an old broom handle as a stirrer at first then just used my hands to mix up the suit and pouches to make sure it was thoroughly saturated.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back