Custom Mandalorian Custom mando helmet PVC

Motorbikejedi

New Hunter
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been checking it out all the time for ideas for my next build. I did a scratch build with Honus' instructables guide when I was 15, and have half of another completed for my girlfriend. I just was able to get a 4'x8' sheet of 3mm pvc and now I wanted to try something new, I want to attempt a custom mando helmet and armor scratch build, all using the pvc board, I know many people use the board for the armor, but i have not found anyone using it for the actual helmet, I was thinking of using the same template but modifying it a little bit to make it easier for my first pvc helmet attempt. If anyone has any ideas or experience with this, let me know, Again I am new to this site but I am very addicted already. All I need now is a dremel tool so I can start cutting out my template, Will post pictures as soon as I start. Thanks again for any help and making this website AMAZING!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean ABS? You can score it with a hobby knife and "snap" it. You wont NEED a dremel tool for that...but it is a handy dandy tool to have though. Post your progress, its always fun to see scratch builds!

Hi, I just started the helmet, progress is slow with all the work I've been having. I almost have the pieces cut out to shape the helmet and dome. I got some motivation at a garage sale when I bought a star wars card game, an empire strikes back poster, and three full size cardboard cutouts, Boba Fett, Han in Carbonite, and a stormtrooper, all for 12 bucks! Pictures will come soon!

Well, with a weekend off I made a bit of progress, I have been cutting everything out with a rotary tool. I have been forming the helmet with a heat gun, Over all the process has been a little tricky, but is surprisingly easier than making the helmet out of cardboard. Now just s few more pieces to cut out and a lot of spackling paste for that dome! I am not sure what I am doing for the visor and keyhole, I think I am going to do something different for those. Here's some pictures of the progress and of my garage sale find! GEDC1301.JPGGEDC1302.jpgGEDC1304.jpgGEDC1305.JPGGEDC1306.jpg

I got the checks put on and a just put on the second coat of spackle. I also want to keep track of my total cost because I am doing this as cheap as possible, All the armor and the helmet are going to be build from a 4'x8' sheet of pvc for 10 dollars. I bought a rotary tool for 26$, and 6$ for cutting disks, 4$ for spackle. That makes my total at 46 dollars including my tools, and probably less than 50 dollars for everything else I need, I believe this entire build will cost me under 100$. I am sure not sure which way I am going to go with this armor yet, I am starting to research ideas for my costume. Any feedback on the helmet would be nice, this is going to be my first full costume scratch build. I have made a Han Solo costume and now I am excited to start working on the armor soon. I will get pictures soon, but for some reason I can't upload photos

Well, I've been slacking with my pictures, but I haven't had much time to work on anything. I just started up again, I have 95% of the armor cut out, I still have the knee armor and whatever I decide to add for the helmet. I have been tossing around ideas so far but I am just getting the main parts done so I can start on the little details. Anyways here are some pics, the parts still need to be cleaned up and formed. Let me know what you think of the progress. Sorry about the large pictures, I couldn't get them to upload any other way. I guess the 14 megapixel camera has its setbacks.

v2s29g.jpg

307uqhf.jpg

Did you finish your helmet? When I read you were using a flat sheet I was curious to see how you accomplished the dome. I used a hard hat, a five gallon bucket, and a seven gallon bucket for my scratch build. Plan to use material from more buckets for the armor. Still troubleshooting exactly how I will do those pieces.

very impressed man. i need to make a mando helmet and have been surfing this sight up and down for different ways to do it.
curiouse though, did you just measure our your head size and roll up a rectangle? cause that looks way easier then scratch building the whole bucket then having to spackle it. and Dudesir, i would very much like to see/read how you built a helmet with gallon buckets and a hard hat.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back