Scratch build ROTJ Jet Pack WIP - (Be gentle)

darthvince

New Hunter
Ok so I am pretty new to TDH, I have been lurking around many, many, many of the community's awesome forum posts, and this is the fruit of my labors so far. This is my Jet Pack i have started using WOF's AWESOME templates. Its mostly thin poster board. I used thick matte board for the main structure to make it a little bit stronger. I still have to seal up the seems, add the thrusters and other details, and of course the task of painting. This is the result of 2 long nights so far. Just wanted to see what you guys think, but remember this is my first real venture in the costume making realm (so be gentle lol)

IMG_20110618_213023.jpg

IMG_20110625_121447.jpg

IMG_20110625_121459.jpg

Just a little update. I have finished painting my pack. Just have to finish a couple details like the stabliser and what not. I am going the cheap route for hooking to my suit. Since its mostly cardboard its super light. so i am going to use some strapping sewn onto my flightsuit with a D ring on the end, and attach a couple carabeeners (sp?) and maybe some velcro to keep it from flopping around.

IMG_20110731_212448.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those pringles cans? If so genious! It looks a little flimsy, but thats just me, you put it together so it could be much sturdier than it looks, take your time when filling gaps with putty and sanding before painting, and dont dont rush the paint job either, it can make all the difference, but for a first build not bad at all.

Great work on the scratchbuild jet pack. I have been wanting to make one for myself but didn't know if I had the ability to do so. Thanks for posting the pictures and inspiring me!

Thanks for the comments (y) Yeah those are pringles cans haha. I read on another thread that they were super close to the correct size. ITs surprisingly sturdy. I made a frame with this matte board and foam board, so it has a solid interal structure. And for the outside i did a few layers of poly acrylic sealer to give it some extra strength and protection. I only spent about 3 bucks(including the pringles :lol:) to make the whole thing, i had paint and glue lying around.

I was wondering what did you use for the ball shapes that the thruster cones attach to. Also the main tube is this just free form poster board for center that rocket attaches to? I cut out nearly all the pieces but that seems to have been omitted from WOF template plans. Thanks again for posting this and inspiring me to build my own. I've got my rocket almost complete. I haven't tackled cutting out the bottom piece with all the grooves yet. I'm really not looking forward to this part. Everything else is cut out from templates by Wizard of Flight and now I got me some of that liquid fiberglass resin so once I get it all put together I'm going to give it a good coating and make it durable. Thanks again for posting the pictures of your pack!

thanks darthmater. The ball shapes on the thruster cones are some wooden balls i got from Michaels. They were the perfect size and had a flat side makeing attachment of the thruster cones easy. As for the rocket, yeah i justcut out WOF's templates out of posterboard and shaped each piece separately and glued them together. I omitted some of the smaller layers just because they were a little too small to cut out and look right, (and i was getting a little anxious to get it done :D) And with the bottom pice with the grooves I just painted on some lines to make it more simple. One thing I thought of after the fact for the missle was to use a real thin dowel and make a kind of a shish ka-bob with the pieces, to keep them centered and give them a bit of a "back bone". But good luck man!! Make sure you post some pics so we all can see your progress! :cheers

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back