"Expectations" a Rant by slave1pilot

slave1pilot

Well-Known Hunter
This is my rant thread about expectations.
I'll try and keep it short
Chime in if you'd like.

1. If you are my friend, I expect you to answer the phone occasionally when I call you and I expect you to reply back when I text. I know that everyone is busy, but if you are too busy for your friend, then either they are not your friend OR you are in fact TOO BUSY and you should re-evaluate your priorities

2. If you contact me for pricing, I expect you tell me if you are still interested or not. Either way I am ok with your decision

3. If we made a deal then I expect you to follow through and keep your end of the bargain. This is very important in the "trading" business. If you are trading your item for some paintwork, don't drag it out for 2 years and keep telling me that "your item is the next one out the door". Don't BS me.

4. If you have asked me to paint something for you (and we agree on a price), I expect you to have me paint your item at that price. Do not low-ball me after the fact or change your mind and have someone else do it cheaper and not tell me.

more to follow I'm sure.

Completely agree. I'm doing a trade now, my Jango for a Gamorrean Guard from a guy in the UK. I'm not sending it till I know my suit is done. I send emails, he doesnt always answer. I sent an email today requesting we make contact once a week for a status check till the deal is done, just to put our minds at ease. He said he got ripped off by someone in the states, so he was concerned about a straight tade, but since I'm a cop, he trusts me. I've already got my packing material, I know I'm holding up my end of the bargain. I was told you have to ride this guy to get stuff done, so JAngo isn't going anywhere till I know my suit is finished. Doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy when they're slow to communicate.

WHOA now..........this sounds like you are expecting common courtesy and decent behaviour from people. Just who do you think you are.

It is sad that society has degraded to the point that when contact is as easy as it is today people can't be bothered to be courteous. Being in the same business as Jango 5204 I am amazed daily at peoples lack of concern and decency. Even when it doesn't require any effort, they will still be rude or just ignore you.

I was helping a guy push a car to the gas pumps (uphill mind you) at about 2am, and the look on the guys face was one of amazement that I helped him. He actually called the station and told the dispatcher about that nice Sgt that stopped and help push. It shouldn't be a remarkable thing to help someone.

And it shouldn't be a remarkable thing to live up to your word.

OK now you are going to get me going................

I do a bit of trading and things dont always go as planned, it happens both on sides, some times these things happen , How ever I found all it takes is to be honest, and if youve lost intrest in the deal say so , how ever if work(like painting work) has been done already then the deal needs to be honored ,
If the person who you (S1P) painted the stuff for now doesnt need it they should still honor the deal, they can always sell it in the cargo hold,

What it comes down to is communication , small things can turn in to big problems when the communication falls of , and it only makes matters worse to the point were you have to avoid this person for the rest of your life , or it gets to boiling point and it turns ugly (as it seems to be doing )

Can I add to the list.

If I have paid for something, I expect to be told when that item will ship.
If it is not going to ship on time I expect to be told this. I shouldn't then be chasing the seller to find out what is going on.
I definately do not expect a seller to go underground and refuse to answer any communication if my item does not ship on time.

(not aimed at anyone on this board)

Craig

I totally agree. Friendships are based on communication. I moved halfway across the country 4 years ago for a job. I left behind some very close friends. We did nt talk a lot but we hung out a lot. Movies, BBQs ect, fast food game nights. We had arguements and sometimes even brawled. Here ( where I am now) There are the most unfriendly bunch of people ( despite working for the politest PD in the area). It seems so many people now days make decisions out of fear. They do not forgive anything and rarely commit to "friendships". I really miss my old friends especially after one passed away the other day.
As for trading and dealing....those are hard things to judge. I always try to keep lines of communication open and updated. I always relish the opportunity to earn someone's trust and especially friendship. Because these days friendships are rare.

I could talk about number 1 for a long time. Who knew just how comfortable the world would become with the "answering machine". I sure miss when I was a kid....just called a friend who was so happy to hear me say "wanna play"? Now most every experience is screened and on a delay.

I'd like to talk about #1 also. As I remember as a kid I would always be the one calling or going over to play, now a grown up well sort of HA HA.:lol: I seem to be the one who calls and trys to get things going most of the time, even when selling or trading of items I e-mail and notify and call just to make sure people are satisified and happy with everything and that shipping info is clear and not mixed up.
When I " Like mentioned above" I pay money for item It seems in some sellers you have to bug them to get an answer like shipping date or ball park of when it'll be done. Patence is a virture I am not blessed with , BOBA is teaching me patience, but we choose what we like to do as hobbies. Where as some talented professinals make every effort to have you satisfied with quick rapid great work ! Just agree with yall I'm done thank you for being here !

Nathan I can totally relate to this whole thing, especially 2-4 I can add if you say you want me to paint something and then I never hear from you again WTH? Am I supposed to assume u fell off the face of the earth?

it's sad how many of these rants have to be said lately. i've been seeing them cropping up all over the nerdweb. i think the instant 1-click shopping world is getting to our heads.

we all need to remember that helmets don't cast and paint themselves: artists do. and art isn't fast and isn't cheap. if it was, you wouldn't be hiring someone else to do it!

Never saw this Nate... Great post.

This is why I no longer paint small commission pieces (and not just Fett related commissions), and If I do..It's for serious clients/vendors only.
No offense to anyone here, but if I get asked to paint for a "costume", I turn it down every time. But if I get asked to paint a high-end movie prop replica or a paint master.. I'm probably more likely to take that kind of commission.

My best answer or response to you Nate is... Filter out who you want to "work" for. (y)

STG said it best.. true artists (of any form) aren't cheap...but we're worth it.

:)

Oops, I think I forgot to reply to your text asking me if I wanted your gold fish. Eh, thanks but I'm gonna pass. By the way, I still have that air brush compressor I want to give away. Did you happen to find or think of anyone who may want it?

Hope all is well with you and yours!

:cheers

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back