History of the boot

My uncle was a hardhat diver in the 70s and he had a few pairs of Boba Fett boots, in grey and blue. they had the same toe, same sole, and same ribbing on them. They were made of basically oiled canvas with a rubber backing and had mostly rotted away by the time me and my cousins helped him clean out his old dive locker in about 85 or so.

No question that these are dive boots of some sort.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Screen-Test-01.jpg
Nice idea but not likely , these were all white canvas to start

agreed. the supertrooper pics available make it clear these started out as pristine white canvas boots. in fact, you can still see some of the white showing on the ribbing in the recent exhibits where they were scuffed -- revealing the original material under the paint.

agreed. the supertrooper pics available make it clear these started out as pristine white canvas boots. in fact, you can still see some of the white showing on the ribbing in the recent exhibits where they were scuffed -- revealing the original material under the paint.

Which would lead me to believe that either:

a) if they were a found item -- say, a dive boot -- they were painted/dyed white on the Supertrooper and not originally white. They did it with the Stormtrooper jodhpurs. No reason to think they couldn't do it for the Supertrooper. Dive boots would not be made in white.

b) they were custom made with the white canvas.

I wouldn't assume they were originally white even if you can see white showing under the ribbing when they were scuffed. That could just as easily be white paint/dye over the original.

Which would lead me to believe that either:

a) if they were a found item -- say, a dive boot -- they were painted/dyed white on the Supertrooper and not originally white. They did it with the Stormtrooper jodhpurs. No reason to think they couldn't do it for the Supertrooper. Dive boots would not be made in white.

b) they were custom made with the white canvas.

I wouldn't assume they were originally white even if you can see white showing under the ribbing when they were scuffed. That could just as easily be white paint/dye over the original.

Fair enough assumptions. However, have you seen the hi-rez supertrooper photos that were released last year? To me, looking at the boots in those pics, they just do not look painted like what they did with the Stormtrooper boots. I acknowledge, though, that its entirely possible they did. Just doesn't seem likely to me they were painted on top of an existing darker colored boot on close examination of the photos. Add to that, I have never seen a dive boot, or any off the shelf boot, that comes close to looking like the Fett boot, even assuming the cut on the toe was done by the costumers. It would be nice to see a photo of a dive boot, or any boot that is in the ballpark. I have yet to come across one.

Okay. I've learned not to argue on the internet.
Good luck finding the boot, it'd be really cool to see that.[/QUOTE]
Its a great thought and a productive angle, how ever there is prof these came from the prop makers like all of Fetts garb its all made for him spacificallyBoba-Fett-Costume-Documentation-Uniform (1).jpg and this is it

how ever if you can prove other wise , then do there is nothing wrong with disagreing a debate doesnt have to be an argument

and for the good luk finding the boot coment .. that is the point it aint gonna happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris (FettPride) took a pair of fett boots he didnt think were acurate, and cut the toe (took a size 11 and made it a size 8.5). He cut the toe and re-seamed it. It made the toe very square.

This is just an idea so hear me out.

You get a set of boots that are close. But they are too big. You cut the toe, and re-seam it. But its kinda square and clunky. You decide to add the toe spikes (the only costume that I know of with such a detail) to hide the conversion of the toe.

I know that when I looked at chris's boots, I could not tell he shortened them.

Not really so much a theory, as it is food for thought.

BGH, I will respectfully disagree. :) B&N were the suppliers of the boots, but they most certainly didn't make them. The question remains though, did they have them made, or grab off the shelf parts?

Again, I'm not saying that the boot is a found item... I'm just saying that it's still up in the air.

Did the production drawings show that particular design? If so then they must have been made to copy it. If the boots weren't in the drawings then it could have been a found item.

I have never seen angled elastic sides like that on any shoe anywhere else.

Did the production drawings show that particular design? If so then they must have been made to copy it. If the boots weren't in the drawings then it could have been a found item.

I have never seen angled elastic sides like that on any shoe anywhere else.

The problem is that lots of parts don't match between the production drawings and the real suit. This might be because they changed or rethinked some parts as they did advanced with the base production.

EDIT
----------------
To prove that the boots are based on pre-production images, here is a drawing of Joe Johnston:

Boba-Fett-Joe-Johnston-Concept-Art-0299a.png

All the major parts of the suit are on the real one, in this case the PP1 or Eyes/Ears (with minor or major changes).

Last edited by a moderator:
The knees are "up side down"in that sketch, interesting.

No! The knees aren't upside down, it's just a variation. If you look better, there are darts on both sides of the knees...

Thanks Rafal... Hmmm, Chelsea boot wasn't in the original mock-up?

***, no... The knee armor was upside down in the movie?!?! :p

Remember that the early pre-production images were for the Supertrooper concept, later they decided for a single character named Boba Fett and the suit was personalized and tweaked. Maybe there was something from the Chelsea boots... Maybe not.

And yes, there are some stills in the Gallery under the ESB Fett suit where Boba Fett wears the knees upside down.

Carbon Chamber 16a.JPG

And two right knees.

Hallway_06.jpg

Personally, it think it was a combination of made item and found item. The white super trooper boots make it look like the top flap is an added piece that covers laces or something else that was already preexisting on the boot. And it's true at this point with all the fett replicas Lucasfilm has made for events throughout the years, they could have commissioned a company to make a run of boots for them as running around years later trying to locate found items is a pain all the time.

No! The knees aren't upside down, it's just a variation. If you look better, there are darts on both sides of the knees...

Remember that the early pre-production images were for the Supertrooper concept, later they decided for a single character named Boba Fett and the suit was personalized and tweaked. Maybe there was something from the Chelsea boots... Maybe not.

And yes, there are some stills in the Gallery under the ESB Fett suit where Boba Fett wears the knees upside down.

View attachment 54292

And two right knees.

View attachment 54291
I totally have TWO right knees for this haha...Im gonna rock two rights one day

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back