Scratch built Jetpack question

Boba Mike

Hunter
Hi Guys
Hope someone here can help me with this one.
I am scratch building my jetpack (using WOF templates) and have struck a problem I cannot seem to overcome.
How do I make this part?
th_jp2.jpg
I have made a card version from the template and then made a resin cast, all to no avail. So it's back to the drawing board. What to do? Any suggestions? Has anyone made this part before?

Next problem bit
th_jp1.jpg
What are people doing here?

Any and all suggestions welcome

Thanks

Looking at WOF's Jetpack templates on the 25th page is the part you are referring, where on the right side of the page is a small piece that you must multiply with the number (18) of the holes on the rocket's base.

JP 01.jpg

The other part you were referring I think you must scratch build it, because I can't find it in the template file. But you can use WOF's drawings at the end of the file as a refference where he shows the Jetpack in all angles.

I hope this helps in a way or other.

I saw someone who made the "piano keys" out of paint sticks from Home Depot. He just cut them the right width (the height is already pretty close) and sanded down the edges to get the correct angle. Hope that helps and best of luck! I tried a scratchbuilt jetpack at one time but it ended up as a pile of Sintra in the corner.

Hey Mike,
Here is what I made based off of WOF's templates. The first scratch build rocket base ring I made, I sculpted out of balsa wood(one off)green photo.
The second time around making the ring, I made a "master" then molded it to cast several copies. Using an old tecnique, cut out a few disc, glue together. Fill in the voids with filler(Bondo). Then take the UFO shaped ring a cut up in the pieces you need the make the "castle ring". As for the piano keys, like Apo mentioned, a paint stick
cut up in many pieces.

Scratch parts 009.jpg

Scratch parts 003.jpg

Scratch parts 006.jpg

Rocket Base 003.jpg

Thanks Rafal, I did look at that page with much confusion as to how to actually make that part

Cheers apolifka, I could not find paint stirrers after reading that very build so I tried using timber of a similar construction and sanded the angle. It looked ok but just ok if you know what I mean. I am thinking of using the concept though with plastic, I might get a better result.

Hey Fett Seven, this is where I started without much success, but I like the idea of the layering. I am going to source some foam board and try with that. Once I have the UFO ring, is there a process to cut the castle shape? That's what got me the first time.

Thanks alot guys for your input, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back