Boots Weathering & Finishing Progress Thread

Since I'm trying to make more of a contribution here lately (normally I just troll :) ) I decided to start a progress thread on weathering and installing the finishing hardware on my boots.

Here are the start pics. My boots untouched, with their original toe-spikes. Tonight (weather and wife permitting) I'll start with the weathering first, as I wait for my new swing-arm to arrive.

fettfoot1.JPG

Clone, They're old MC boots. They've been boxed up in my basement for... geez... 10 years maybe? Hmmm... You'd think by then they would have weathered/aged themselves.

Okay, couple of black-wash applications later...
ShoeComp.jpg

There is still a LONG WAY to go on these... but they're a step closer. Next step is to age them a bit more, and better blend the black-washing.

The key to these boots, in my opinion, is the highlights. The warn part that shines through. The problem with that with folds in the fabric and various shadows from the ref material... it's hard to pull-out the details.

As mentioned, next step is blending and deepening a bit more... perhaps use a bit of color... then aging by hand to bring our the 'highlight' areas.

Progression with be slow. With black-washing less is more.

Finished the weathering for now. May do a bit more, after I get my pressure pot out of storage... and make casts of the darts.

What do you all think (sorry about the ****** pics)? It was a bit difficult getting the correct highlights when the boot didn't start out as white.

photo (3).JPGphoto (2).JPG

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back