Superjedi's GMH--Pre-Pro 2

UPDATE: JULY 16, 2011

Crayon! Picked up a set of 24 Crayolas earlier and scribbled all over the helmet!
OK. . . that's a bit of an exaggeration, but The little yellow "swoosh" is on the front of the dome now.
I tested 2 different yellows and went with a shade the Crayola executives decided to call Dandelion.

I had several pieces of scrap plastic painted green, so I practiced on those.
I used very light pressure while actually drawing on my helmet, and wound up making 2 passes,
trying to get the best balance between subtle and visible.

It's more or less visible depending on the light. In this first picture, it's not quite as apparent.

IMG_0876.jpg

Rotate the viewpoint slightly, and it is easier to see.

IMG_0877.jpg

Here's a super cropped copy of the photo above. I did the 2 small yellow dots at the upper left of the big silver area as well.

IMG_0877a.jpg

So thanks to the good people at Crayola, I've added one of the strangest details on any Boba Fett helmet I've worked on to date!
At this point, I'm calling the helmet done. Mojo has said that the aluminum ear sets are getting close to production, so until they're ready,
I won't be able to do anything else. I'll wait till the ears are fitted to install the visor.
That can be a delicate operation and I want it to be the very last thing I do to the helmet.

Great googly moogly man :eek:

What the hell are you trying to prove ? LOL !

Well, whatever it is, you done did it ;)

How did all the paint detail line up with the original damage ? :p

Absolutely fantastic work, Eric. Likely the best helmet paint up I've ever seen :cheers

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, thanks again guys. As I've said, this was a great helmet to start with, and it was a really fun paint up.

How did all the paint detail line up with the original damage ? :p

Chris

Chris, everything lined up really well! Those "landmark" gouges and scratches were a huge help in scaling the damage areas.
Especially the ones on the dome. As I'm sure you know, going off of photos to create a 3-dimensional representation of something is a tricky proposition.
The existing scratches really helped me to be sure I was getting things in the right places. (y)

Amazing result. I haven't been here for a while, checked back in to see progress on the GMH project and this has knocked me over!
Has Mojo started a run on the aluminum ear parts yet?

Amazing result. I haven't been here for a while, checked back in to see progress on the GMH project and this has knocked me over!
Has Mojo started a run on the aluminum ear parts yet?

+1. I love how this helmet turned out.

On the aluminum ears, stay tuned. The interest thread is due very soon!

FINAL UPDATE: April 12, 2013

Hi all! Sorry to necro my own thread, but just this afternoon I finally completed my
PP2. I had received a set of Mojo's metal ears a while back, and a TerminalFettler
RF topper to finish it off. I literally just got everything assembled about half an hour ago. :)

So here are some actual, no kidding final pictures of my GMH as PP2. It was well worth
the wait for the ear set. They're incredible looking.

First, a couple of overall shots from the front.

IMG_3102_zps3e546f5b.jpg

IMG_3106_zps77dacd10.jpg

Here are a couple of back angles.

IMG_3104_zps82cc82c8.jpg

IMG_3105_zpscc5ce351.jpg

Now for some shots of those scrumptious ears! Here's the left side.

IMG_3108_zpsc94ff64d.jpg

The prep on the ears was done very carefully with several fine grades of sandpaper.
I wanted to get rid of the overall shine and sort of dull them down. There were just
a couple of traces of some machining marks, but the sandpaper took care of those
very nicely. After the sandpaper, I gave them a good rubdown with some wire wool.

Here's the RF side.

IMG_3109_zps5be7dad0.jpg

The weathering was done with a couple of misted coats of SP Lark Gray. I applied
it very carefully, letting the color build up slowly. After the gray had dried, I went
back with the wire wool and wore some of it away, trying to match the patterns seen
in the pictures of the promo helmet.

IMG_3110_zps465fb473.jpg

There's nothing that looks quite as much like metal as metal. :) I really like
the way the aluminum comes through the weathering. The eye catches differing
levels of reflection depending on the angle and the lighting.

IMG_3111_zps92ede6fc.jpg

It may be hard to see in this next shot, but there's a real micro switch installed in
the ear cap assembly. You might just barely make out the red part of the switch.

IMG_3116_zps100b3fe0.jpg

Finally, here's a close-up of TF's excellent range finder. It's a gorgeous 3-piece resin
kit. The main body is superbly cast, and the perspex block fits like a glove. A multi-part
lens completes the RF. The Polaroid frame is cast in black, and it's filled with a clear
resin lens! Makes painting and assembly a breeze.

IMG_3115_zps72bb67a3.jpg

So. . . with the wait for the ear set, that makes this one of my longest projects! :lol:
But absolutely worth every minute. I'm thrilled to have this completed and on display
with the rest of my Fett family!
Thanks for following along. (y)

Beautiful E, love this lid! Just got my ears in too, so been prepping the ROTJ weathering patterns for them myself... and I have to agree - ears totally worth the wait! Splendid work again fine sir! :)

I am glad you brought this thread back from the dead as I missed it the first time around. Amazing work as on all your helmets. This one is incredible. It looks like you stole the original...except you took a time machine and stole it back before it got all that damage it has currently!

Thanks guys. I'm really happy to have this one done. The resin ears that came with
the GMH were very sharp casts, but I felt this bucket deserved the metal ears! :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back