What type of jetpack do you prefer wearing?

jonmcclay

Active Hunter
After a number of events with my fiberglass jetpack I've come to realize that 8lbs isn't a lot at first...but after 6 hours, you feel it.

I'm curious how you guys survive and what you prefer your jetpack to be made of.

Also, do you know anyone making vac-formed jetpacks these days?

I've made a few jet packs myself, and am always trying to construct the lightest and strongest. The fiberglass pack I produce with a mix of plastic resin parts(rocket, thrusters) weighs in at 6 lbs. Trying different build processes with lighter materials. If someone really spent the time, one could make a strong 4 lbs pack.
Have not seem a vac form pack that keeps the detail of a fiberglass or rotocast pack.

No way is your pack 6 pounds it feels way lighter than that and if it is it's the lightest 6 pounds i have ever picked up.

No way is your pack 6 pounds it feels way lighter than that and if it is it's the lightest 6 pounds i have ever picked up.
Just the "base" of the pack striped down, yes I agree is light. But when you add everything on, rocket,thrusters,caps, screws for back panel, and paint, it adds up.
Used the shipping scale at work to weigh my last pack and I was surprised the scale read 6 lbs.

Now that I think about it, I did try a lighter weight fiberglass mat on the later builds, so Deadland you are probably right.

Haha I look FORWARD to the day that I have my Fett done and can wear that little rocket pack, it is nothing compared to the Sandtrooper back pack that I troop with all the time now. I built it strong as hell but it's also heavy, the Fett is going to be like a vacation lol.

THAT has been the toughest physical part for me. I can take the heat, the standing, the walking, dehydration, etc... I've got a bad back as it is, and after 3 hours it's a KILLER. My shoulders and back, scream for a day. I've had 3 different vendors of JetPack, and they all put a strain on you, regardless. I currently have a BFUK and which comes in around 7 pounds. I love it. I've actually tried on a hollow, smaller, lighter, plastic version, from that "south american vendor" which weighed about 2 pounds. It was like heaven wearing it, but it would NEVER hold up for trooping. It was too light, and brittle, and it would most likely get smashed to bits in a troop. The heavier fiberglass versions are more accurate, and can take the pounding of a troop.

OK, I pulled some test parts out. What I mean by test parts is, new resin(dark gray) casted by hand slushing the resin in the mold to form a hollow part. The white pack is fiberglass laid in a lighter glass mat. The white add on parts are a standard plastic casting resin. The gray parts are casted a new resin I'm trying out. To add strength to the hollow rocket I added rigid expanding foam, not the Home Depot stuff but the industrial strength type. Using my bathroom scale, this kit adds 4.4 lbs to my weight. Still have to account for glue/epoxy, paint, harness hooks, aluminum beacon and or lighting kit.

Ex pacl 002.jpg

FETTSEVEN!!!! AMAZZINNGGG!!! You are on the cutting edge! Combining the comfort of vac-formed with the strength of fiberglass! Keep the info coming!

You know what's funny? My 8 lb or whatever it is MOW pack KILLS my shoulders and neck compared to my 50+ lbs Ghostbusters proton pack! No joke.

I'm assuming it's because of the Alice Pack frame I have attached to my proton pack. It distributes the weight much better. I guess that I need to break down and get the metal frame for my jetpack harness and hope that helps matters.

I am a devote subscriber to the vac formed body.

In my opinion, the pack does not have sufficient detail to warrant having a fiberglass body. Plastic with some hollow resin detail bits works wonderfully.

I have a BradleyFett Boba and my own vac formed Pre Vizsla pack. At some point I might make my own Boba kit, but no time soon.

I am a devote subscriber to the vac formed body.

In my opinion, the pack does not have sufficient detail to warrant having a fiberglass body. Plastic with some hollow resin detail bits works wonderfully.

I have a BradleyFett Boba and my own vac formed Pre Vizsla pack. At some point I might make my own Boba kit, but no time soon.

I wish you would do a kit. It's interesting how there is so much opportunity but no one trying...

Can someone (MOW) just cast this thing in foam already??? LOL

I adjusted and modded my Fettdad harness with a 2 inch elastic belt on the bottom part of the harness and adjusted the length of the straps and it (the MOW version) still sucks after a few hours. It is alot more comfortable now than it was though.

Come on MOW, CAST IN FOAM!!!!!!!!!

Soon I'll get a jetpack and the truth which is not to settle. MOW I had in mind, but what I recomendais resistance, light weight ..... etc.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back