Boba Fett ESB Helmet Stencils

RafalFett

Well-Known Hunter
I posted the ESB hero helmet stencils and the color separation in a separate thread, this way the files can be found with more ease. The colors try to replicate the ones seen in the movie (Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back).

--------------------------------------
Update 29-11-2011
All files (except the dome, but will follow) were replaced with new and improved ones wich are a better replica of the original ESB helmet.

Update 15-12-2011
The dome files were replaced with new and improved ones wich are a better replica of the original ESB helmet.

Update 17-12-2011
Added the Dome Top image which is an approximation of that area, but helpful for everybody.

Update 11-02-2012
Added two small red scratches on the top of the left mandible and the weathered Reefer Grey (same as the dome area) to the left lower cheek (thanks to Terminal Fettler and Jayvee). Also added the darker stain to the right lower cheek.
Changes.jpg

The white stains are not in the stencils on these two areas, because these are made by hand:
White Stain.jpg

Update 14-02-2012
Corrected a small area on the lower left ear (thanks Jayvee!). The 'Ears And Rangefinder' files were replaced, and the 'Helmet Perspective View' file too:
Left Ear Correction.jpg

Update 03-03-2012
Major changes in all files!!!
Added the Base Gray color to the Red Face, Cheeks, Back Plates (this color actually replaces the Mint Green color) and Dome. This Base Gray is the first coat applied on the helmet and is visible because with the unmasking process they pulled (accidentally) the Bright Silver paint on some areas. Changed the base green color of the left ear. Added more red spots on the Red Face. The Ears and Rangefinder stencil was redone, especially the left ear, the right ear and the ear decals. Added the rust-like marks around the killstripes, which I think is actually just a residue of the sprayed killstripe color along the masked area.

Most of the latest updates are from the discussions between Jayvee and me and can be found in Jayvee's awesome paint up thread here ==> Jayvee's Deluxe ESB Paint UP (With An Awesome BGHunter Lid)
Jayvee's thread (among others) is a good example of how you can paint an excellent helmet with great talent and a lot of love, using others helps and tips (all the great painters who are/were at TDH) and with a little bit of help using the stencils.

Update 25-03-2012/07-10-2013
By request I will upload all the separation files in archived JPG files for easy edit for those who want to alter the dimensions of the stencils.

So far the ZIP files were removed due to post restrictions (25 images/files in each post).

Update 17-05-2012
Clonecollector had the idea to add an image with the physical damage of the ESB helmet in this thread:
Hey Rafal,

Could you add this image to your ESB Helmet Templates thread?

That way I (and I'm sure others) can see all the ESB Helmet details in one place? Thanks!

The image is at the end of this post. Thanks!

Major update 07-10-2013
All the stencils were removed and replaced with a better version (the v2) which still uses the old scheme but was tweaked and re-sized to fit the more accurate RWH v2 templates and possibly all the close-to-screen-accurate helmets. The tweaking includes the problematic back plates and the cheeks, so most of the parts were more or less modified to fit the new templates. The dent stencil was slightly reduced in size, while the dome area was stretched to fit the wider dome circumference (the first template was a bit smaller). The dome top scratch and the rear keyhole were also perfected along with the ears.

Red Face and Rear Keyhole
ESB Red Face & Keyhole.jpg

Color Separation
View attachment Red Face & Keyhole A4.pdf
View attachment Red Face & Keyhole LTR.pdf

Back Plates
ESB Back Plates.jpg

Color Separation
View attachment Back Plate A4.pdf
View attachment Back Plate LTR.pdf

Cheeks
ESB Cheeks.jpg

Color Separation
View attachment Cheeks A4.pdf
View attachment Cheeks LTR.pdf

Dome
ESB Dome.jpg

Color Separation
View attachment Dome A4.pdf
View attachment Dome LTR.pdf

Note that the Panzer Olive (Weathered) is actually Bright Silver painted on top (at least the painter tried to mask that color) with Panzer Olive Green. Also the color variation on the dent is due to the extreme dirt-like weathering, this is why you will see Reefer Gray/Reefer Gray (Weathered) and Bright Silver/Bright Silver (Weathered). Here's an image that shows the difference:

Dent Weathered.jpg

Dome Top Area
ESB Dome Top.jpg

Ears and Rangefinder
ESB Ears.jpg

Color Separation
View attachment Ears & Rangefinder A4.pdf
View attachment Ears & Rangefinder LTR.pdf

Placement of the physical damages on the ESB Hero helmet
ESB Physical Damage3.jpg

Helmet Perspective View (this image is for guidance to see where to fit those nasty scratches)
ESB Helmet Assembly.jpg

And the old file, just to show you the differences
Face Color Template.jpg

Have fun with these files!

Dent Weathered.jpg

White Stain.jpg

Changes.jpg

Left Ear Correction.jpg

ESB Physical Damage3.jpg

Face Color Template.jpg

ESB Red Face & Keyhole.jpg

ESB Back Plates.jpg

ESB Cheeks.jpg

ESB Dome.jpg

ESB Dome Top.jpg

ESB Ears.jpg

ESB Helmet Assembly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These look great! I have downloaded the AOSW files already, but I may want to use these. Can someone tell me if there are any major differences?

These are great, thanks for all you do....

Thanks!

These look great! I have downloaded the AOSW files already, but I may want to use these. Can someone tell me if there are any major differences?

Well, the main difference is that the AoSW stencils has all the extra scratches that appeared after the filming of ESB while in my paint and scratches scheme I tried to ignore those extra scratches. But in both cases the stencils are just the tip of the iceberg, the hardest part is the way you apply all of this and all the weathering implied. I think the best paint artists of TDH can tell more about this...

It's a shame that electronic files don't weight anything, because these things are worth their weight in gold. ;) Absolutely invaluable information, thank you so much for all the hard work.

It's a shame that electronic files don't weight anything, because these things are worth their weight in gold. ;) Absolutely invaluable information, thank you so much for all the hard work.

Thanks! You are too kind, but my goal wasn't to earn anything in its material value.

Hi Raf - mate, in the middle of an ESB paintup at the moment (will update the thread soon), and let me just say, your stencils have been invaluble - really fantastic stuff. What I have tried to do, is use the stencils, but also meticulously study the reference pics to get as close as I can. I found one small innacuracy on the back panels i just thought to share - please dont take this in any way, shape or form as a bad thing - as your stencils are the closest you can get bar none. I only point it out, as I'm sure so many people will use your stencils, that just thought to get supreme accuracy for the benefit of everyone :)

It's just a very minor detail on the Left hand panel (I have circled the area in the picture in yellow.) The long, jagged protrusion has actually been left grey in the stencils, but as you can see in the ref pic, it is actually predominately beige, with some small grey areas within. It also seems that between that and the top little extension, there is actually a bigger gap than in the stencils.

Again, very minor, and i'm a huge fan of your work and everything you do for these boards, so please dont think there is any ungratefullness in my rant - more just me being a pedantic old fart ;) cheers buddy, peace..

minor change.jpg

Wow! Thanks for pointing this out! I had in my mind to do some corrections to the ESB stencils and I will do in the near future.

Thanks again!

All the stencils will be replaced with some accurate ones (these are not corrected, but made from scratch). I want to thank Britt Dietz for the awesome hi-rez images in the Gallery (the first entry in the C-IV section) that were a real help to recreate all the small scratches. I also used all the stills and screen captures (including my own captures) from ESB to do it as accurate as can be.
The first post was updated with some comparison images, while the remade stencils will follow shortly.

The 'red face' is more detailed (same as the other parts) and while some of the scratches were removed, others were rearranged to fit the overall pattern.

The back plate base color is more darker (as should be) and is more refined then the previous one. I also fixed the scratch color mistake pointed out by Jayvee at post #17 (thanks again!).

The cheeks were corrected and some small scratches removed.

The dome is still in work and will be updated last.

Thanks for your patience and confidence!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back