Don post deluxe or ESB mystery Helmet?

Metadude

Active Hunter
Hey guys, first time poster here. I was just wondering what would be a better helmet to buy and improve upon? (padding, paint)

so far, i've been looking on ebay and i've found:

Don Post Deluxe recast:
Star Wars Fibreglass Boba Fett Helmet Prop Jango Empire - eBay (item 180645558595 end time Apr-03-11 12:14:31 PDT)

ESB Mystery Helmet:
Star Wars Prop Boba Fett ESB Fiberglass costume helmet - eBay (item 120704255358 end time Apr-03-11 19:58:32 PDT)

I was just wondering what you guys would think to be the best for the price?

the one that mullreel posted is far more accurate than either you're looking at on ebay. It'll require more work, since it will have to be painted. But there are some very talented artists on these boards, I'd recommend fett4real for painting. He does great work.

.....I'm just looking to see which is more movie accurate out of those two for shape and size...not paint work...

I personally would not trust either listing. The second says Mystery size helmet. It is probably his recast of a recast of a recast and there is no way to know what you are going to get. They both have things in the listing that make me wary. If you look at all of the other items that they have listed they are obviously producing the helmets. The problem is that those guys are making things you can not verify prior to purchase. If you purchase from one of the guys here on the boards you can get some REAL feedback about the products and accuracy from actual buyers.

The seller I listed would be more accurate than either of the ebay listings and it is cheaper than the second listing.

It kinda sounds like you just want to be told that the ebay helmets are good, and I just can't do that. I would not trust either one. The vendors here on TDH however are a different story.

Just my 2 cents

It would depend on who painted it. The raw kit costs about 165 shipped from Asok. That is the helmet cast in Cold Cast with the aluminum RF stalk the RF topper and such. The paint jobs would run anywhere from about 200 bucks and up. It will also depend on which paint job you are looking for.....ROTJ, ESB, Pre Pro etc. You will probably need about 400 bucks to be in a reasonable ball park.

The padding and stuff is easy to come by and easy to install.

My biggest advice to you would be to spend some time reading and looking at this site. Once you begin to learn the lingo and see the amazing amount of information this site contains, you will look back to those ebay listing and sigh a big sigh of relief that you didn't jump the gun.

Read about Fettpride and the GMH helmet. Read about the lineage of the different helmets. Read about the Asok/FP helmet and how he bought the budget mold from Fettpride and started making cold cast helmets. Read about the Lava helmet, the Sgt Fang, the Sandy and Pre Pro helmets, the Master Replicas, the Don Post. Once you start to understand all of the lineage you can make much better decisions about "what is screen accurate".

I will also say this. If the guys on ebay were producing top notch product that was all above boards........they would be here on TDH selling to the Fett nuts on here. Very few producers can stand up to the scrutiny that this site provides. And the gladiators who produce here have been wieghed and found worthy.

I know you are new to the site and I hope I have not come on too strong, but if you are truly ready to dive into this hobby I would hate to see you waste a couple hundred bucks before you realize what you have done. The guys on this site will help you along the way if you allow them to. I know they have helped me over the past year.

and just BTW I wasted some money before I got myself straightened out and headed right.

Ha ha, it's ok. I do roleplaying on other sites so that was a quick read for me :)
-And I don't exactly have anywhere in the 400 area....would I be able to get a "decent" fett replica for around the $250 area? (I don't have a job yet, waiting fot IGA to get back to me)

In the $250 range is not out of the question but you will need to be johnny on the spot when something hits the cargo hold. I would think that you could probably score a helmet with a passable paint job in the $250 dollar range, but it will be one of the older and probably less accurate casts. I am always hesitant about posting pics in other peoples threads but here is just an example of helmets.

dsc00100j.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the left is my Sgt Fang which is an actual "Mystery Helmet". On the right is a new Asok/FP budget kit. The Sgt Fang cost me $125 and I have repainted it and played around with it. The Asok cost me $165 as it sits. The difference between the two is quite remarkable. I don't have the dough to pay for a nice paint job on the Asok right now. I am going to attempt to do an ESB paint on it in the near future. One reason is I want the challenge and the other is money.

If you have your heart set on a nice screen accurate Boba Fett I would recommend saving up just a bit more. The difference between 250 and 400 is only 150. That is about 15 trips to Taco Bell. The other thing is you could do it in two stages. Buy the helmet then save up for the paint job.

No it comes as a raw kit that requires some clean up and bondo work to get it ready to paint. They come in as offwhite yellowish resin.

BTW the Cold Cast that I have referred to is aluminum powder mixed into the resin so that you can polish it up like metal. The Asok is a resin helmet also but it is much thicker and nicer cast.

The helmets that you are looking at on ebay would probably arrive at your door step as unpainted kits also. The pictures that they both provided in thier "other items for sale" showed unfinished helmets.

dont rule out one of jintos excellent helmets. he makes a beauty at a very reasonable cost. im painting one of his lids up as we speak. it will come as a rew kit, but if you talk to whoever you purchase the helmet off, they may be well be able to do the cleanup work for you at small additional fee. jinto did this for me, as at the time of buying my lid, i didnt have access to a decent rotary tool.

then comes the paintjob - as suggested, maybe do it in two parts and save for the paintjob later, or save, do some reading and maybe give the paintjob a go yourself. its pretty daunting i know, but thats what were all here for my friend! peace :)

The tools needed to finish a helmet aren't that big of deal. A dremel is nice but you can do most of what the dremel does with an xacto knife some hobby files and some sand paper, maybe add a hacksaw blade. Basically my list there would be maybe 20 bucks. The only difference is the time and amount of elbow grease involved. Jinto might be another viable maker. Darth Voorhees was also casting some less expensive one too I believe. Hit some of the guys up with a PM and see what they can do for you.

After thinking about our whole conversation and seeing that you are young, here is the fatherly advice I would recommend. Buy a realitively cheaper raw kit. Something in the 150 range or lower. If you can get a raw helmet for 75 bucks then so much the better. Do not worry about screen accuracy on this first one. Finish the helmet and paint it up yourself, learning and gaining experience as you go. You will be able to find out if this is the hobby for you and you will see you are probably capable of more than you give yourself credit for. The money investment will not be as large and the knowledge gained will be priceless.

Old man speech done now.

Ha ha, Thanks for helping me decide guys. But I am a terrible artist and what I was looking for between those two helmets mentioned above is "which is more movie accurate" out of those two, that way i can add in the necessary paint job myself without paying an extra $200 for someone else to paint it up for me. I'm not too interested in kits because they usually require a lot of time and effort (i don't have time-school work is gay..). Whereas if I got something that was even remotely painted like the boba, I would have a good base to continue on with

One other thing. The second seller (triomiret) is selling a phase 2 clone helmet that he calls "Commander Gree". That thing is so far off from accurate that it would immediatly make me not buy anything from him. Calling that Gree is an insult to anyone who has even seen the movies.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back