Zam Rifle

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
cris - cool find. I, like you, know NOTHING about guns - so to me... this looks close enough (with heavy mods, of course)... perhaps i'll get one too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DCB, I thought about beating you to it but I let you get it. Another one will turn up. Great find kimncris, I think it looks almost dead on. A few mods here and there and you will be knocking jedi off flying droids in no time.

there are MANY on there... look up "Kentucky flintlock" :) Lots of replaics with a BIN of $70ish pricetag.

Ack! choke! cough! Zam withdrawls! Here's some rifle pics

Can't take the blank page...

I had to send my broken gun back to the seller, but thought you might like to see how big this thing is going to be!

-cris

lifesizeriflewkim.jpg

zamriflecompare.jpg

Hey, I got mine in and it wasn't broken :p . I can't wait to start the conversion. It will probably take me a little longer since I can't really machine any of the parts. I look forward to seeing the progress of yours and getting some input!

Eeeeeeeee! Strawberry Shortcake!!! :love

Wait a minute . . . I suppose to look at the rifle! :p

Wow! It's big. But Cris, how much did it weight? I'm really tempted to get it off eBay instead of buying it here if I can get the whole thing with shipping for US$100+/- as it's ~US$150+ here. :( Think I can work out the legal stuffs with bringing it into Singapore, somehow. ;)

And how much bigger did you or Kim enlarge that full size picture?

The rifle itself was not all that heavy but once it has all of that other stuff added on...I'm going to need an assistant to carry it for me! :)

Cris scaled the picture off of the plate on the side of the gun. I'm 5ft 6in if that gives you an idea of the height.

:zam Kim

I finished my scope.

It came out a little cockeyed- but hopefully when it's on the rifle it won't be noticable. This was a royal pain in the rear :( but a good learning experience. :)

I made it hollow so that you can see through it, and the lens rings and lenses are removable :)

The dark color, I could not figure out. So I painted it gunmetal color.

zamscope.jpg

frontscope.jpg

rearscope.jpg

zamlens.jpg

-cris

Wow, Cris! Look great! :) Can't wait to see the finish product!

So have you and Kim consider helping some of us in the near future to get certain parts? *giving kawaii puppy eyes* :love

got my replacement rifle today UNHARMED!!!

took a lttle extra time I think due to the 4th- but the TGParrot seller is a stand up guy if you are in the market for a Zam rilfe :)

-cris

here are some progress shots of the transformation...

here it is out of the box
rifletape.jpg

and with all of the parts disassembled
rifledisassemble.jpg

I added some sculpey clay to the buttplate (in a hurry as I had too much silicone) to start the process of molding the thicker one
buttplateclay.jpg

made molds of the stock barrel section and buttplate. Only the long thin barrel section of the stock needed to be extended, so I only molded that part. It is inside of the parertowel roll in silicone in the picture below.
gunmolds.jpg

cast a resin copy of the molded barrel part of the stock and painted it and the 2 wooden sections black with Plasticote automotive primer. (what I had on hand) Here they are drying.
rifleblackparts.jpg

cast another piece of stock in clear resin from the same mold as the black one above (not so sure about this, but it will be easier than clear acrylic I think) I cannot tell from the pictures available to me if this was correct or not- but it made the final assembly very easy.
rifleclearpart.jpg

bent some new aluminum sheet metal accents for the stock joints. This was just hobby sheet metal from the hardware store. I bent it back and forth in the vice until it snapped off in these 4 pieces and then bent them around the resin cast I made (so that I didn't break the wooden one or anything dumb) to get the shape.
riflealuminumparts.jpg

sanded and brushed the black finish off of the lock plates with sandpaper and the wire brush wheel seen in the pics posted a few more replies down, and also used a paint stripping sort of attatchment for my dremel which was totally destryed in the process to get into the crevaces (this was not as easy as I thought)
rifleslockplates.jpg

more to come...

-cris

If I could find a host I will take a picture of my Stock I am working on. the stock and all the wood extensions on it make it about as tall as I am. I am a nice 5'11" and I plan to extend the length some as well.

here are somw more progress shots of the almost finished rifle:

Brushing the brass plating off of the trigger guard:
(the finish came off just the same as on the black on the lock plates) They make these for the Dremel too- but this 3" one for a full sized drill worked great.

Before:
zam_rifle_grinder.jpg

After:

triggerguard.jpg

and this part the holds the ramrod was done the same way...I drilled out the hole larger to accommodate a 10/32 machine screw which goes through the stock and into the aluminum barrel.

ramrodbottom.jpg

small (inaccurate but who cares!)mod to the lock plate:
I never saw any pics of this side- and removing the Flintlock hammer left a large hole, so I added a panel light and a little pointy greeblie on a spring for fun.

zam_rifle_plate.jpg

The underside of the barrel: The black sections screw in from the bottom with countersunk 10/32 machine screws. The clear sections just float inbetween the silver rings with a little epoxy for good measure. They will undoubtedly break at some point- due to the fragile resin that I used, but hopefully this will make for an easier repair later.

bottomrifle.jpg

added a spring behind the trigger for return action since the hammer mechanism was removed: I drilled and tapped a hole for a 4/40 screw to use a post for the spring on the back of the trigger up inside the stock. (not really visible here- but so you know :) )

triggerspring.jpg

taped off and painted sections of the metal stock tip piece:
Another area where I could not really tell from the pics. I just masked off the brass areas where I wanted the metal to show- and painted the rest black.

ramrodtop.jpg

finished pics will follow...
-cris

and some more...

I fininally finished up the resin buttplate that I poured into the junk mold made from that clayed over part. That first casting was REALLY ugly as you can imagine from that clay picture, but after I sanded and bondo'ed it and sanded some more and painted etc. it looked like this:

resinbuttplate.jpg

I then made a new mold of this piece and poured a metal one!

Fresh cast on the left- sanded and polished on the right. It is a major PAIN IN THE REAR to sand and polish metal this rough, but eventually it will shine up. If you keep on going it will look even better than this one on the right.

buttplatecompare.jpg

my quick and dirty ramrod tip lathed down from a brass screw
I didn't have any brass stock- so I bought a 99 cent large brass screw and used that. It's not perfect, but anyone looking at that end of the gun too closely is in trouble already :zam ;)

barrelend.jpg

and the finished gun

rifleleft.jpg

rifleright.jpg

topbarrel.jpg

happykimrifle.jpg

throughscope.jpg

closestock.jpg

-cris

Wow! Amazing work, Cris. It looks fantastic, as well as the rest of the costume :) Hope to see some pics from Comic Con!

-Austin

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back