Zam Rifle

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
:eek: :eek: It look manificant! I'm even more impressed by both you and Kim's "magic fingers"!

Now I'm itching to get one and start on it too but must have the money to get it in the first place! :p Must also secure a "Technical" Lab where I can do all the drilling and grinding first too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a little more to the "tutorial" texts above

I also forgot to add thet my barrel is a 4ft section of extruded aluminum 5/8" OD tubing and the ramrod is 1/4" aluminum.

this is the resin I used for the clear parts

casting.gif

-cris

Kim/Cris:

Gun looks excellent. And no buckets in the glamor shot either....

Does that clear resin work real well? Seen it at the local hobby shop but was scared of it. How do you keep air bubbles out of it (besides stirring it very slowly)?

thanks Dan :) :lol: yes I moved the buckets out of the way this time.

the resin works OK, it takes a lot longer to kick, so you can wait for the bubbles to rise for a little bit- but not TOO long or it turns to jelly. Otherwise, stir and pour slowly and in a fairly large stream. Otherwise you will froth it up with lots of tiny bubbles.

The 2 worst things about this resin is that it STINKS ROYALLY and it is very fragile. I was afraid to use it too, but it was the only thing I could get at the last minute. No breakage yet. We shall see how it survives the trip to Comicon. I made them fairly easy to swap out- so maybe if they break I will order something else that is a little stronger.

-cris

OK. I'm planning to do the rifle shortly. I'll try something else and give you the skinny. Probably use something from Smooth-on or Silpak as I am familiar with their products.

Well no offense towards anyone, but I am under the impression that the clear sections that Kimnchris made where actually gaps in the stock that had nothign there just the barrel and the ram rod. That is how I plan to do mine atleast. I got my trigger guard and the side plates today. Gotta clean up the trigger guard and then add all to my stock. I really need to find a host so I can take and post some pictures up :)

Hey No Offense! :) This is just my interpretation of a really small picture. I have nothing else to go on- and I thought the clear resin bits looked cool- so I went with it :D

hopefully the rifle will be at MOM in Austrailia so somebody can get some close ups and stuff (and the upgrades can commence)

On the action figure, it appears to be similar to what you describe. Does anyone know if the 12" figure comes with the rifle? Is there a real-scan somewhere? (BTW it's going to kill me if these show up 2 days before we leave before Comicon- but I knew that the minute I finished it a better photo would surface)

-cris

laughs and realises it was your interputation and that is why I did not want to offend. I think the end goal is for all of us to help each ohter out. I am very impressed with all you have don ewith the rifle so far. IO am going much slower on mine as I can afford to be slow about it since I have decided I will not have anything ready on my zam until Dragoncon 2003. So I got time to learn and improve it all. I do have one small question. What did you use for the cord looking tiems that wrap about the barrel and how are they attack and how is the barrel secured?

I personally like the clear sections and am going to use that idea when I do mine. From what I can see, it looks correct but you are right Chris, it is hard to tell off of just one picture.

Ragresen wrote:I do have one small question. What did you use for the cord looking tiems that wrap about the barrel and how are they attack and how is the barrel secured?

(well I'm too impatient to wait til Dragoncon '03 :D I wanted it NOW! Once I get obsessed by something, I just have to work and work until I have something finished, or else it starts to bother me :) )

To answer the question, I used rubber O rings. The inner diameter is the same as the outer diameter of the barrel (5/8") so they do not require anything other than friction to keep them in place.

The barrel is screwed to the stock pieces through the bottom, hidden by the ramrod. There is a picture above where you can see the screws I think.

-cris

Well we are back from Comicon :)

I got to see the 12" toy, and there is definitely another scope on the reverse side of the rifle. Why couldn't they put THAT picture in the visual dictionary :(

Anyhoo... we took some fun pics

zaminside.jpg

zamoutside.jpg

closerifle.jpg

smallcloseup.jpg

-cris and kim

Great pics! I love the last one :) I'm still in awe of the costume, simply fantastic! Anymore pics to share?

-Austin

Woo Hoo! Congrats! :cheers

-Austin

I am new to this forum, and I too believe that the Clear parts are in fact gaps. In the Insider Mag, there is a close up of Zam holding her rifle and you can see through the gap as nothing seems to be there. I am not sure which Insider it is, but it is something to check out. Also, I am curious as to what you used as your scope mount. Would you be interested in making any of the items for the group? say the scope or the metal butt stock? Love your Rifle!!

Insider 057, Page 47 shows her holding the rifle. Upon a close look, it does look blank. Good thing because I was having a bugger of a time making a clear resin piece that didn't have any bubbles in it. Yea, I can make the scope and finish the gun this weekend, maybe!

Good Catch on that insider picture! I was looking at that same picture and I think you all may be right about the gaps. The toy rifle that comes with the 12" doll and the action figure sort of has the gaps too- except that the plastic kind of fills in between the barrel and the cleaning rod.

The good thing is that I can always take my clear resin parts out and not effect the rest of the gun! The are held in place by a tiny bit of glue and the silver rings :) But they look really cool- so maybe I'll leave them until they break or get really scratched up.

I scratchbuilt my scope mounts out of some PVC pipe and styrene. I used bondo to fill in the middle and make the perfect contour to mount over the barrel. However, since I needed 2, I molded the original and made resin ones for the finished rifle, so sure, if anyone wants them, I can make some more.

I'll try to post a better picture of it later tonight or tomorrow.

I am pretty much out of the casting metal, but if I can get some more, I still have the mold for that too. It would require some serious sanding to get the nice shiny finish though :)

-cris

here are those better pics of how my scopemount turned out:

They are white resin painted black. Gotta love molding and casting anytime you need 2 identical parts :)

scopemountspainted.jpg

scopemountsongun.jpg

scopemountCU.jpg

-cris

I am interested in the scope mounts and the metal detail at the end of the stock. I don't mind sanding and polishing it myself. Let me know on a price.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back