REVIEW: Redkraytdragon 2.1 "ROTJ" Armor w/ PICS!

Muad Dib

Active Hunter
My buddy RKD sent me one of his new chest armors for review.

While some of the areas are an improvement, others I feel are somewhat a step back accuracy-wise. I am no armor expert but when looking at it, some of the curves appear too drastic and I'll point them out. I'll also show his previous version (gray) along side to show exactly what has been changed.

First is the chest "tails".
Now while they do FIT around the chest muscles quite comfortably, I don't think they are supposed to hug the human form quite so closely:
105_2522.gif

105_2526.gif

105_2524.gif

I also think the top edge is too rounded. (Even more now than the old version.):
105_2525.gif

The ab plate is one of the areas where I liked his changes. The bottom edge has the upward return along the edge more like I've seen in some of the exhibit suits. The fit to the stomach also feels better and doesn't stick out so much at the sides.
105_2527.gif

105_2519-1.gif

105_2520.gif

Here are the two kits side by side minus the center diamond as these seemed to be the same with no changes although I believe there should actually be a slight top to bottom curve to the piece. Note that all dents have also been updated:
105_2516-1.gif

So my unbiased stance is that it's an decent kit but you may need to relax some of the edges-mainly the chest top and a little of the "tails". Another thought is using the newer ab with the older chest as a more accurate route than using the whole of the 2.1 together.

Please take this as just the opinions of a fellow Fett-head trying to help you offer a better product. I am really honored you allowed me the opportunity to do this review even though it may not be all what you wanted to hear.

So also, the armor is still un-modded if you'd like it back. LOL!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also didn't take a lot of extra time and go through all the Gallery images for comparable information for this review so if any of the pros like FP and F4R or anyone else want to chime in and correct me as to armor shapes, I am definitely open to it.

Thanks for that Tony ;) I appreciate the unbiased review. I really like how you compared the V1 with the V2 (I forgot you had those V1's so that worked out great!)

While I agree with you on some things, I'd have to disagree on some others. I'd have to say that we both agree on the ab plate, I'm pretty happy with it personally as well ;)

However, I felt the V1 chest pieces (along with the ab plate) were just too flat all the way around especially at the top, hence the changes there. Of course it's hard to tell in the ref pics exactly how much stuff is curved due to perspective and angles (I'm amazed at how FP makes his armor so accurate). The chest tails were obviously too flat on the V1's because after wearing my own versions they stuck out just a little bit too much. I took that into account when sculpting those parts. Here's a shot from the side from AOSW exhibit that might support my argument a little more (not that I'm arguing with you lol;))
AoSW_1999-01-17_Fett_146.jpg

IMG_2454.gif

Armor395.gif

I was actually pretty surprised about your comment about the top part being too curved (not mad of course just surprised lol ) as I felt that part of the piece fit just right and the edges didn't stick out like on the V1's

I have to admit, you did give me some GREAT ideas on how to modify my V1 chest pieces. I also noticed, for some reason, that my chest tail tips are just a wee bit too rounded for my taste (especially after going back and looking at some ref photos again). I may have to change that (I think I sense a V2.2 coming on...sigh)

Again, maybe someone else with more experience (or has worn/owns some FP armor) can chime in. I've looked at several pics of his sets and have noticed the chest tails are angled and did mine the same accordingly.

I'd also like to hear from some others whom I have sent these beta sets to, to hear what they have to say before deciding on what to do with these pieces.

Thanks a bunch again Tony, I really appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to do this :D

No problem, buddy!
Here though is where I think you misinterpret a little how the tails form to the body. :

The real tails actually BEND in a bit at the blue line, not CURVE so much along the yellow as you have them. They do have a slight curve just not a a lot:

IMG_2454.jpg

But I also maintain that the top edge is still way too curved. It may feel comfortable when worn, but I can assure you they are more along the lines of your older version but even those are too much. The real plates are pretty slight. Keep in mind that atop the vest, over the flightsuit, and on your body, they aren't as form-fitting as you would think they would be. The majority of the chest area has a bowl -like curve but it flattens as it nears the top edge.

I guess I can't explain clearly enough that it isn't about personally fitting as much as making the parts look like the real thing. Your comment praising FP's set confuses me because you have changed certain aspects that he's nailed. The only reason I see for doing this is to give your own spin on a design which is totally fine, but you simply can't dispute the real suit details.

More expertise in needed here to help. Oh, Chri-issssss... ;)

I got mine today, as I am also a receiver of the new version. I am working on a custom mando, so I'm not looking for screen accuracy as far as Boba. They did fit my needs more than nicely. They're made from really durable material, the box i got them in was a bit trashed, but the plates didn't show a mark. They fit nicely on my body, and being of the shall we say heftier body type, it's nice not to have them sticking out on the sides, but curve around. Painting will commence once I get some supplies and nice weather. In all these look to be a really good set or armor for those doing Fett or customs. I also like how the edges bend inward some giving the appearance of thickness, while being severely light. Only thing I could really suggest is maybe on the left chest plate, have an optional cut out included for chest lights, maybe for the various types of lights. Past that I am GREATLY pleased with the set, and will be posting photos of my painting them when I get to be able to do that.

The chest curve shapes are pretty complex because they cross each other in multiple ways. Yours seem to assume that to get a curve means just to bend where in fact there is a "cupping" aspect that has to be achieved that you are missing. If you were to take the real plates or even FP's turn over, place them flat in your hand, and pour water into them it would pool at the lowest point. If you did that to yours, the water would run out of the top or bottom. Do you see what I'm trying to explain?

Try to think of the REAL top edge curve to look like this:

Untitled-3.gif

The YELLOW is the actual bowl of the chest plate and the RED is the top edge. The cupping of the plate in fact flatten out a little as it reaches this edge. It's not a disputable fact.

Thanks MS for that feedback, I'm glad they worked out for ya ;)

Tony,
I see now exactly what you're talking about and it makes perfect sense. I know exactly what to do to get the chest pieces where they need to be. Thanks for clearing that up. I think now I can just use the V1 plates and do some sanding with the 'ol belt sander and get that straightened up later this week.

Looking at FP's armor I was definitely using them for reference as his are praised for being about as perfectly accurate as you can get plus there are so many pics of it it's excellent source material (y)

Hey man, just doing my part to try and help. :)
And after seeing your fantastic retooling of your backplate we know you're definitely on the right track for a greater kit.

I have a bit of feedback on the old collar if you would like it, also.

yeh, I agree with tony somewhat...there shouldnt be to much of a curve on the vertical axis, the horizontal however should have a little bit I think u got closer with this version in that area but its a little to drastic

Great info guys thanks. I got some new blank V1 molds poured and I'll start working on them later this week.

Mandosoldier, I forgot to mention that the reason I don't put chest display cut out slots is because I don't know if there's a standard size and/or placement that everyone goes with so I figure it's just better to leave it blank and let the individual cut it out at his/her discretion. :)

Hey man, just doing my part to try and help. :)
And after seeing your fantastic retooling of your backplate we know you're definitely on the right track for a greater kit.

I have a bit of feedback on the old collar if you would like it, also.

Thanks buddy :)
I'll take whatever insight and feedback I can get. I know the collar needs to be redone (that's actually the last piece for this kit) and will probably attack that within the next few weeks or so between filling orders.

Here's my thoughts on your old collar piece:

Here's how it looks normally:
105_2535.gif

It is generally okay but the inside of the neck needs to be angled like the blue line indicates. Yours is round and it returns too far around the back of the neck. It also really needs something of a slight bend (yellow) at the very front or something because it sticks out flat too much at the collar bone near the shoulder:
105_2535-1.gif

Just be sure to do the bend BEFORE you do trim the neck or you will end up with a point at the inside front that will not be correct. (I've done that before)

Here is a look from straight on:
Original flat:
105_2539.gif

Somewhat corrected contour:
105_2538.gif

Hope this helps a bit in this area for when the time comes.

Got some more pics for you guys. I haven't added the dents on these chest pieces yet so just ignore that (no point until I finish up the curves). I'm pretty happy with how the chest 'tails' turned out, much better. I also curved the top edges back up towards the collar per Tony's recommendation. I guess my next question would be what about the top edges? Still too curved or flat enough? Let me know what you all think! :) Take a look at the pics
Armor411.gif

Armor412.gif

Armor413.gif

Armor416.gif

Armor417.gif

Armor418.gif

Armor419.gif

Here's a shot of this new version next to chest V1
Armor420.gif

Armor421.gif

Armor422.gif

Armor423.gif

And then some more shots with the ab plate for relative comparison
Armor424.gif

Armor425.gif

Armor426.gif

Armor427.gif

And upside down:
Armor429.gif

Armor428.gif

I like it!
The top looks a whole lot better because they aren't crazy rounded yet they aren't totally flat, either.
I think they're ready, bro!

I can't thank you guys enough for your input on this, it REALLY is very helpful. :cheers

I think I'll go ahead and get these pics up after a few pulls of the boltaron and update th sale thread (y)

As far as the mando armor goes, I'll probably just leave those at V2.1 seeing as how that armor does not necessarily need to be accurate. :)

Thanks again guys. After this I'll get started on the collar and get that more accurate and I think that'll be it. I'm pretty happy with the backplate V2 and the Cod V2

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back