Sintra Armor

Gonna be starting in the next few days and i am going to be using WoF's templates (Thanks Wizard!!) to cut the more simple pieces. Chest, abs, shoulders. I am going to be using Sintra since I have used it before and feel comfortable with it. Plus an 8 ft sheet is $20 and i can pick it up locally! Just wanted to know if you guys think 3mm will be thick enough. 6mm as I have seen in some other threads, seems way to thick to me and the gauges go from 3 to 6mm. There is no 4 or 5. I'd appreciate feedback on this.
Thanks!!

3 mm. is the thickness you want. When the shape is finished sand/round the edges a little bit, this way it will look like vacuumformed armour just like the original is.

I'll second that. My Mando is 6mm and looks awesome. My Boba is 3mm and looks screen accurate that way. I have all my Mando guys hit the edges of their plates at a 45 degree angle with a dremel and it gives it that depth.

I use my dremel on almost every costume or prop project at one point or another! :D So this should be nothing new! And I know what you mean, in order to give it that "look" it needs to have a nice beveled edge and not be flat like some of the ebay armor I see!

There's a lot of threads asking about where to buy Sintra. I just thought I'd let you guys know that today I went to Sign It Quick (national chain signage-banner-vinyl shop) and asked if they used/sold sintra or PVC foam. They replied "yes" it comes 8ft by 4ft and they would charge to cut it. After I said "I won't need anything bigger than 2ft by 1ft and I don't care what color it is. I can just take scraps." They looked confused, so I told them what it was for.

I walked out of there with this huge pile for $20 (haven't measured any except for the 3 green ones that are 24"x18"). It's not "sintra," which is a brand name. This is Komatex PVC Foam Board, which is the same thing. All are 3mm, except for a couple of the white ones which are 6mm.

pvcboard.jpg

So there's where you go to get "sintra" for anyone asking. Find a sign shop, ask if they use pvc foam board, and tell them you want to buy the scraps.

I have done the same thing and walke out with enough 6mm to make a custom mando, no charge.

But the load was no where near what you got there.

After working with a little this afternoon, this stuff has a stronger and very different smell than Sintra when you heat it. Interesting... you'd think plastic is plastic, no matter the brand.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back