Origin of the Rangefinder?

RafalFett

Well-Known Hunter
I read the theory about the origin of the rangefinder here Official rangefinder talk, and as I know this was not confirmed 100%. I searched the internet about headshells, cartridges and tonearms for turntables or phonographs to find some parts that match the rangefinder. I searched several sites and found these parts:

Thorens TD 150 II headshell:

tp50.jpg 2237597212_35c854b955.jpg

The shape is similar to the rangefinder's shell. And this one is similar in other ways:

Thorens TD-145C headshell:

440417394_tp.jpg

The AEU GP40 520 cartridge with needle has the basic shape of the rangefinder inner part:

AUE-GP40-520.jpg

And the rangefinder stalk is similar to these tonearms:

Pickering Fluxvalve Unipoise tonearm

ARMS1.jpg

Shure M16 tonearm

shure_m16.jpg shurem16s.jpg

All of these parts are made before 1977 (I don't know the year of the AEU GP40 520 cartridge).

It is possible that Brian Archer (we know this thanks to Art who posted here Fett build history and found parts suppliers) who did the rangefinder really used full parts from phonographs or turntables or just made the rangefinder using those parts as reference. Maybe there is somebody who will find (or not) the original parts used (full or reference).

Respect!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not wrong the inner part is custom cut PERSPEX (an acrylic plastic) and the top of the rangefinder is fiberglass made. All was scratchbuilt as well as the separated peice of the right gauntlet. Anyway they could have been inspired in those parts, who knows? (y)

Yes this has been brought up a few times, , Its the whole RF asembley is scratch built (not the pollaroid view finder of cause),

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back