jayvee's empire wip jinto lid paint up..

Jayvee

Active Hunter
4.jpg3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Gday kids. as the long winded title suggests, i'm doing an empire lid paint up, using one of jinto's very excellent lids. Other than some experimenting with a hasbro lid, this is my first real paint up - its unlikely to be up there with the best guys, but hope its reasonable enough for you crew to be fairly kind. im doing a layering method, with some topical fine details, and am using spray paints/rattlecans.

This is very eary stages, with an ear and rear panels done. will update when possible, but will be a fairly long process, so it may take a while. Feedback apreciated, and if any questions, feel free to ask. a big shout out to Jinto, who has helped with heaps of my pedantic questions. Apologies for the size of the images in advance - its my mini laptop having issues, hopefully they will zoom back down for you once loaded. thanks for looking peeps!

Looking good so far. I really like the layering you've done... Indeed jinto's lid is an excellent one. Keep up the good work!

Respect!

Jayvee
This is coming along really nicely ,
Youve got those colours all looking great
Ill be watching the progress very intently
Whats the name of the main colour on the back ? it looks great!
Looks like all your colour research is paying off for you

thanks guys, appreciate the kind words :)

jinto - thanks man, the colour research was pretty intensive, but with lots of trials and help from your good self, they seem to look on track. the main green on the back panels which i was really happy with, is from the ironlak range, and the colour is 'neverland'. its a little deeper and greener in person, and is probably even more accurate, and looks very close to the aosw pics, particularly after a steel wool and dullcote. i didnt mix it or mist it with anything else either - just its colour, so it seems a good option. thanks again crew!

Okay gang, finished my back panels - mite not look a huge differrence in the photos, but topically touched a few areas up, and added a few more scratches etc... again, apologies for the size of the images, only have my travel laptop at the moment, and it has limited functions. as a side note, I thought i'd also add in some pics of my MOW gauntlets which are about 90% done. bit more grime and darts to add. I know its generally a helmet thread, but thought as its a long process, i'd throw these in for something extra to look at and get an opinion on. thanks a bunch!

ab.jpgac.jpgaa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gday crew. Just a small update, have done the rangefinder ear now as well, heres some quick pics. I also experimented with a bit of weathering on the ear which i was happy with. will do most of the overall weathering at the end, but just thought it was a good idea to practice on one of the smaller sections.

So far, I have generally used paints from the Ironlak range of paints, which are graffiti art acrylic laquers. they are cheap, come in a great range of colours and work well with other acrylics, masking fluid and dullcote. If anyone is interested in any of the colours used, they are as follows -
back panels :
Grey primer
Ironlak Washington (light grey)
Ironlak chrome - a good silver after weathering and dulling
Ironlak Lazy Grey (dark grey)
Anchor brand colourbond dune/birch (light beige)
Ironlak Neverland (green/blue colour)

Rangefinder ear :
Grey primer
Ironlak Chrome
Ironlak Lazy Grey
Ironlak Cuppa (main beigy colour)

Opposite ear :
Grey Primer
Ironlak Washington grey
Ironlak Soviet Red
Ironlak Huey (green) misted very lightly with a Tamiya olive green I already had.

thanks for looking peeps, peace :)

ear 2.jpgear 1.jpg

Hey there Fett-mutants! just another update for you guys and a bit of documenting for my own use. Hope everyone is well, I have added photos of the dome and cheeeks areas of my work in progress empire lid. Was really happy with this section, and can see light atthe end of the tunnel!

Paints used on this section were as follows - Ironlak Chrome, Ironlak Lazy Grey (dark grey), and Anchor brand Rivergum/willow (the main green, and am really happy with the colour for something to come straight out of a rattle can). used decals for the stripes, however, coloured them up with sponges and acrylics - rapt with the results, as the fading is how i want it, they are clean as a whistle, and was far less of a headache to do. didalot of experimenting, trust me :) added scatches and weathering with acrylics applied with toothpicks, watercolours and tamiya weathering around dent etc (kinda like a little makeup set. till the next section, enjoy, let me know what you think! peace :)

a.jpgc.jpgd.jpgb.jpgf.jpge.jpg

Wow! Amazing paint job you did there! I see a new future paint master in town!
Only one thing to comment: the decal on the right ear it supposed to be lower and paralel to the base of the white decal.

Great job, Jayvee!

Respect!

thanks raf, appreciate the kind words - yea, some of the decals will be changed down the track, as the set i got is marginally large for some of the areas. i may even topically paint them on down the track, as im finding new and better ways and techniques the more im painting. there is a little section im not happy with on a back panel that ill fix this way too. thanks for looking, and for your input bud, peace :)

My goodness ,mate what an amazing job you are doing there really is great ,
You are really making it work all those colours are great , and the weathering is really top notch ,
Nice finish on the paint work , I can see you are taking your time and doing it right , ;) it really makes all the difrents between a good paint job and a great one.
Im stoked to see it coming together so nicely,
Keep up the great work
What purple are you planing on useing under the red and which red did you decide on becouse Im thinking you should do the reds with both of the red irolaks dust one coat let it dry use the other then change again , Just my thoughts Im sure you all ready have it sorted though .

When the red is applied is when all the colour shines in the Boba helmet, now it looks dull, without the red, but when it's applied... It looks Boba, no kidding! Nice work ont he paintjob (y)

Wow, you guys with way more experience are far too kind. I really am humbled by your responses.

Raf, just as a side note, the litle decal you mentioned was originally in the right spot - and had moved (mustve been while masking off the ear). all fixed now bud into its original position :). One other thing - if anyone is looking for a great lid to paint up, definately think about Jinto - he makes an awesome lid, and i'm just hoping I can do it justice on completion!
Peace :)

man Ive missed a bunch of this...your doing really well...wish u were in the US so I could help with color choices, your doing pretty good.

Thanks F4R - i must say, I kinda like the fact that being in another country, I have to find colours that are specific to the australian market, and work with what I can. While alot of trial and error, and talking to guys in oz like jinto, I actually really like the challenge of having something which is a little specific to whats avail in my area. Also, in real life, the colours are what Id call pretty accurate - Im only taking these shots with my phone, so you dont always get the best reflection. Ive put a bunch of time into colours, and the way I look at it, Its more important to have colours which blend well together. Also, I have tried to match them the best to what I think looks the best also. for example, the AOSW helmet is what most will base colours off, but you can look at a bunch of shots, original and SE versions of the movie etc, and with differrent lighting etc. it will look differrent every time. two things I specifically like and wanted to emulate, not for the most movie accurate, but simply as I like them the best, was the empire original release has dimmer/grany lighting, and has the main green looking slightly lighter. I really like that look and went for that. I also prefer the bluer green tinge on the back panels than just darker green - so I wanted that too. In my mind, Ive emulated those two colours like I wanted, so im rapt.

In any case, that longer than normal rant was to show there was some method to my madness - I did alot of colour research and chose colours specifically for movie accuracy, but also my own taste.

Thanks again for looking bud, really appreciate the feedback. Peace :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back