Boba Fett to Magneto helmet conversion

DangerRuss

Active Hunter
Here I show how I'm attempting to convert a Boba Fett casting into a Magneto, X-men :First Class helmet.
I'm about halfway done.
DSC04364.jpg

DSC04366.jpg

DSC04377.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this has to violate some type of TDH by law. The intentional defacing of Boba Fett.

interesting work though.

this has to violate some type of TDH by law. The intentional defacing of Boba Fett.

interesting work though.
oewh. You know I didn't think of it that way but I guess you are right. I may not win any fans with this build but it seemed more insulting to just let the casting just sit there for years. Wanted it to become something. Please forgive...

I would think you could be forgiven seeing that you are doing an excellent tutorial on the use of bondo and refinishing. The work looks good.

Just don't forget the sweeping, outward flare at he lower edge.
Yes, looking closer at this that is prominent. Dang I was so ready to start the trim work. Guess I gotts put more goop on and do some more sanding first. Thanks for the accuracy tip. Also, I haven't seen pics of the back, does the trim work just go around, or is there some detail back there that I haven't seen?

I just saw this on the RPF, and i must admit like most on here I did cringe a little at the site of the fett helmet. But that is some superlative work you've done, and after seeing some of you other pieces this is no doubt going to be awesome :D

Welsh

You may have to just do all of what you can see and then shelve the project until more photos or another trailer comes out to finish the back. That sucks if you wanted to get this done for a premiere or something, though.

You probably have all the reference photos available, but this is the only shot I could find of the back of the helmet.

X-Men-First-Class-Trailer-36-Magneto-Costume.jpg

I dont know if thats the same helmet as seen in the trailers as it looks like he's wearing the original style magneto costume, so whether the helmet changes I dont know, but its a start:lol:

Welsh

I just saw this on the RPF, and i must admit like most on here I did cringe a little at the site of the fett helmet. But that is some superlative work you've done, and after seeing some of you other pieces this is no doubt going to be awesome :D

Welsh

Superlative. Triple word score.

You probably have all the reference photos available, but this is the only shot I could find of the back of the helmet.

X-Men-First-Class-Trailer-36-Magneto-Costume.jpg

I dont know if thats the same helmet as seen in the trailers as it looks like he's wearing the original style magneto costume, so whether the helmet changes I dont know, but its a start:lol:

Welsh
Thanks. I think this IS the other style helmet and costume though. It's red. But from the looks of this one the trim just follows the bottom of the helmet so I might be safe just doing that.

Here's more progress. Added some to the helmet for the "flare" towards the bottom of the helmet.
DSC04385.jpg

DSC04389.jpg

DSC04364.jpg

Comparing the photos I may have to flaten the top of the helmet more, although I like what I have. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting project! Looks like you're making good progress. Seems like working in Bondo would be an agonizingly slow process, compared to what looks like it would be a fairly straightforward clay sculpt. What led you down this particular path?

Interesting project! Looks like you're making good progress. Seems like working in Bondo would be an agonizingly slow process, compared to what looks like it would be a fairly straightforward clay sculpt. What led you down this particular path?
Actually I've only got about 5 or 6 hours in it so far. I went this way cause I saw a comparison in the two helmets and I had a Fett helmet just sitting there. Plus when it's done it's done, no mold making and producing a part. ( However if it turns out good I'll probably mold it anyway and do a run for those interested.) And also bondo it's as hard as you might think. It carves easily when still green, and also sands up nice. I find it difficult to get really smooth surface when working in clay, not the best for getting machined looking parts. I went that route with my iron man helmet and had to remold it after I retooled the first part. I sculpted my Briareos helmet nearly entirely from bondo.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back