Boba Fett to Magneto helmet conversion

Actually I've only got about 5 or 6 hours in it so far. I went this way cause I saw a comparison in the two helmets and I had a Fett helmet just sitting there. Plus when it's done it's done, no mold making and producing a part. ( However if it turns out good I'll probably mold it anyway and do a run for those interested.)

I would cast it anyhow just for the sheer weight of all that bondo on my dome. I got to say, you can do a LOT in only 5 or 6 hours. I'd be lucky to make it two; my arms get tired. Great job!

I would cast it anyhow just for the sheer weight of all that bondo on my dome. I got to say, you can do a LOT in only 5 or 6 hours. I'd be lucky to make it two; my arms get tired. Great job!
Yes, starting to get heavy, but feels nice and solid. As for the time i had a definate plan of attack. Plus i've got a new baby and a ten year old. My time is limited at home so i make it count.

Going to add a "crown" of bondo to rework the top of the helmet. looks a little small so i want to fill the shape back out, more round and flat on top rather than pointy. i took too much out i guess when i removed the pie shape piece from front to back.

Interesting project! Looks like you're making good progress. Seems like working in Bondo would be an agonizingly slow process, compared to what looks like it would be a fairly straightforward clay sculpt. What led you down this particular path?

funny, i'm doing my first clay sculpt and i keep thinking how much easier/faster it would be with bondo and apoxie sculpt! smoothing clay is so much harder than using an orbital sander!

Looking great,
Mabey the dome is a little pointed?

I personally prefer going the "bondo" way as apossed to clay.
Yes, I'm addressing that. I slapped on a "crown" of bondo at the top of the helmet to round it back out. More pics and video to come soon.

DSC04402.jpg

DSC04411.jpg

Here I added a clay wall and then spread bondo into it to create the detail I wanted.

Well I've got it finished. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. If you look close there are some subtle differences. I'd say I have about 12 hours in it. Have yet to mold it. Waiting to see if there is interest in this piece before I do that. If there is post here or PM me for more info. Thanks for all the comments.
DSC04436.jpg

DSC04364.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy ****, man! Thats awesome. Great thinking on the clay retainer wall. Much quicker than trying to shape bondo into those finer corners. Work smarter, not harder!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back