my mandolorian helmet

Ogunn

Jr Hunter
hey guys, i just found this website and i started to make my mando armor/helmet...so far wizard of flights templetes are spot on...thanks!!! here is the first days work..more pics to follow

imag0036tz.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

looking forward to this halloween so i can pimp my mando gear.

thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TDH!

Nice progress for one day. Always interesting to see those builds "from the ground up". Keep the pictures coming.

And don´t hesitate to ask if there are questions! And there will be ... ;-)

Manuel

well i do have another...reading around the forums i saw ppl suggesting toothpaste for a masking agent in the weathering part of the paint...i can understand abut masking but how do you remove the toothpaste once u have painted the helmet? since the paint would be dry i imagine you have to wipe paint off the toothpaste or w/e before it hardens but then wouldnt the toothpaste smear across the fresh paint? also i just finished my dome...not sanded...but i need to reinforce it so im going to put some fiberglass and posy on the inside and then smooth the top layer down and fill any cracks/dings in the helmet....should be able to primer it tonight i hope

i had to work alot over the past 2 days so i didnt get to do much on the project until today..i resined the outside, cut the back panel out and replaced with the recessed panel with the keyslot...also started work on the right lower ear piece..actually i was working on it for a couple days but it was starting to give me the red-*** so i ended up designing a one piece foldable one after i saw rafal fetts fabulous post (which should be sticky'd btw as it is very informative: link : http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/boba-fett-helmet-project-39781/ ) and he made a one piece design. so now hopefully i can get at least the lower right and the left earpieces on tonight and then another coat of resin tomorrow to help seal the new backpanel and earpieces...maybe after i resin and fiberglass the inside...should be pretty sturdy after that....then i imagine i will have alot of sanding and more touch up bondo work for w/e pits are there and for clean up around edges etc...hopefully by sunday evening it will be ready for a shot of primer

got the right side ear radar thingy done. no antenna as i will wait until i am done sanding helmet and painting etc before i add it.....cant wait to paint it so it is all one color...will still look pretty bad but at least it will match

alright, today i fiberglassed the inside of the helmet, and i added the left ear do-hickey to the helmet....now all the parts are on and im just letting the glue and resin etc dry....which is taking a while...after that will start the sanding and bondo work...probably wont be able to do much on it until tomorrow since the resin and stuff is fairly tacky atm...maybe i will at least make the radar arm in the meantime...

kind of a slideshow of the progress

imag0027drq.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0036tz.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0038cr.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0050u.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0056sy.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0057en.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0059x.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-26

imag0058d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

imag0060x.jpg

oops, got my shadow in a couple pics
imag0061g.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-27

imag0062o.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-27

imag0063pr.jpg

By ogunn at 2011-02-27

added some pics of it completely primed...can def see where it needs sanding and bondo work now....gotta work all day and night though so prob wont see any progress for a couple of days.....

made a little progress before it rained today...sanded and applied more (and better) bondo...got the back panel with the keyslot rounded and not squared off looking like it was...alot of improvements to smoothness and curves etc...another coat of primer tomorrow and then some spot sanding/touchups for pits uneven places etc and then its almost ready for a real paintjob and the visor ....that bondo dried hard as a rock...helmet is very sturdy now.....

imag0064z.jpg

imag0065bw.jpg

imag0066z.jpg

nice progress today...sanded..primed...circled and filled places with spot putty that needed it.....now for a wetsand to get it nice and smooth....got just enough primer to spray it maybe one more time then it should be time for the base coat of metallic silver for the battle markes to show through...im going to layer the paint for that...getting close now hehe

silver base paint...i got the helmet pretty smooth...there are a few spots on the dome but they will be good for weathering i think...had a couple of nice looking areas for dmg to show through on the back panels...im pretty happy with it so far...need another light coat of silver metallic and then masking and painting the other pieces....

imag0067yn.jpg

imag0068s.jpg

imag0069f.jpg

alright, i started painting it today....did the dome before i went to work and the back panel and visor sections after i got home....i didnt have time to mask and paint the cheeks, keyslot, and the ear pieces (which i know i prob should have masked as well but i plan on hand painting those anyway) so that will be a project for later...here are some pics of how it is coming along so far....some of the paint with the vasaline came off when i took the masking off so its started to weather itself lol...and obviously i havn't cut out the visor yet...i didnt want to compromise its integrity and i plan on putting a thin coat of bondo inside the helmet to cover any fiberglass etc and then sanding painting it black or either glueing some black cloth in it before i cut the visor out and touch up that spot with a little resin and paint...

imag0074f.jpg

imag0075by.jpg

imag0077e.jpg

imag0078f.jpg

got the other stuff painted though i am not happy with the color of the right radar tower thing...way too yellow but was all i could find at the time...pretty much all colors are darker than i wanted but oh well....started doing a little of the weathering on the front...havn't really done anything to the back yet...of course i will be working on it more for the next few days...hopefully it will be finished soon :)

imag0095hl.jpg

imag0090j.jpg

imag0097i.jpg

imag0086kd.jpg

Not bad for a first try! Yes, the colors are darker, but that's OK if you like it. It looks like a combination of ESB and ROTJ helmet (ESB because of the rangefinder ear and the killstripes color, and ROTJ for the overall helmet color and scratches). There are more things you can correct on that helmet, but as I said, not bad for a first try!

Respect!

i didnt really do much for the weathering yet...i just kinda hit a few spots to get an idea of what its gonna look like...i also ran out of time last night and got sleepy...give me a couple of days to work on it some more and it should be alot better...i'll post some new pics soon.....

made the antenna/rangehead using rafa fetts one piece foldable design...with a facing piece cut out...took no time to make. As luck would have it, I had a plastic chopstick that was literally the exact size and shape of the antenna "shaft"so when i folded it all up and glued it in it was basically glued to the chopstick...only had to cut the length...weird that it was the exact shape but lucky as now i dont have to worry about the antenna breaking

imag0101i.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back