3d printing

SNate

New Hunter
Hey all,

Looks like 3d printing is starting to gain some momentum. Ran across this in my travels on the WWW.

Personal Factory (tm) - design, make & build your own custom products

And a short You Tube video showing the basics.

YouTube - How to use Google Sketchup for Ponoko 3D printing

Seeing as how I cannot afford $10,000 to purchase my own 3d printer, looks like the above is the next best step. Not sure about a helmet as the file size for 3d printing may not exceed 20 Mb. However, this should come in useful for gaunts and small pieces.

Has anyone used this before and if so, your results please?

Thoughts and opinions please.
(y)(n)??

Thanks

Nate

Im not 100% certin but over at the RPF there is a storm trooper helmet scaned from an original and i think 3d printing was used to create the master for molding

I saw some 3d printed objects at my state fair a few years ago. One of those objects was a small, fully functional, differential gearbox - printed in ONE piece! It was phenomenal. However, at present time it's only practical for rapid prototyping.

The radio used on the sandtrooper packs is called the Sonix Victory 75 and over at MEPD Zenix/Crashmann have reproduced it very well with this process. This process was used because the real radio seems to be the mother of all found parts with less than 5 pics of the real thing minus the footage in the film and not a single one found to cast. The detailing is awesome so the process is sound.

I believe the people that call themselves TripleZeroArmor use 3D printing to build their Republic Commando helmet Mold & a few other parts for vacuum forming molds. I Think but I won't swear to it.

Thanks for the input. I just ran across it and did not see anything posted here about it so I figured I would share my discovery.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back