Polaroid SX-70 viewfinder

dankenman

Hunter
Ok, I am moving on through my found parts and next up is my Polaroid SX-70 camera. I am ready to remove the viewfinder, and as with all of my found parts, I want to keep the camera in tact, and try not to break anything. I'm not sure if I will try to cast this piece. I may just use the actual part on my helmet. Can anyone who has done this give me any advice on removing it without major damage?

Here are some pics:
P1030530.jpg

...and here are some pics of the viewfinder and how it is attached:
P1030525.jpg

P1030523.jpg

P1030526.jpg

I think the trick is taking out the pin at the top then slide it to the edge where the slots open up and it will come off, but the pin has a big head on each side and the pin is thin so it is more than just hammering it through.

At one time on google I found a tear down manual. To get mine out, I just broke the camera, it took less time. I was not going to rest of the camera so I did not care.

slave1pilot: Thanks for the link. I checked it out and it did not have the info on removing the pin that I wanted, but it got me there, so thank you.

I decided to take a step by step pic so if anyone else has one to remove. It is easy and takes minutes. All you need is a micro flat head screwdriver.

Here is how it is to start. We are removing the pin at the top part of the screen:
P1030532.jpg

I saw a small break in the pin on the inside. It is actually a tube with a pin that fits into each side. So I took the screw driver and pushed from the inside of this tiny slot outwards, and the pin head poked out of the right side:
P1030533.jpg

I then did the same thing to the other side:
P1030534.jpg

Now the hinges are loose on the sides:
P1030535.jpg

I then slid the tube in the center out of its slot and the viewfinder hinges down:
P1030536.jpg

It then easily pops out of the camera:
P1030537.jpg

I then removed the tube from the viewfinder, put it back on the camera, lined up the hinges and put the 2 side pins back so everything is in place minus the viewfinder and can be put back if desired:
P1030538.jpg

...and now after that short surgery, we have a perfect viewfinder:
P1030541.jpg

Now to decide if I should just use it, or make a copy and save the original like I have with all of my other found parts

No problem Dyl. I figured photo documenting it would be a good idea. Anything to help the next guy save a little time and frustration.

I had a thought today. I was sitting there looking at a fresh pull of my MQ-1 cast. The material I used is clear. If I made a mold for the viewfinder and used the same material, you could just paint the black frame part and leave the center clear. Also since it is a small piece, I figure why not mold it, just for the fun of seeing how it will look with the clear plastic.

It will take a few days as I plan to make it a 2 part mold to give the same reflective properties to the clear magnifying center, even though you can't see through it once it is mounted. It take 24 hours for 1 side of the mold to set, so I will pour side one today, and side two tomorrow. I am curious to see if I could take a fresh pulled piece and put it in the Polaroid camera and have its magnification work like the original piece. Only problem is I probably should remove the posts on the original, so then it would not be able to be mounted into the camera. Things to ponder...

I want to be prepared and do it right. I looked at some pics and I believe the only modification needed to be made to the original part is to remove the 2 posts from the sides at the top of the piece in this pic?
P1030541.jpg

So I poured the first half of the mold. Now we just have to wait until tomorrow night so I can pour the second half.

Anyone know of any other mods that need to be done to this part other than cutting the posts off the sides?

I think that's it man
just the posts.

Thanks brother.

I prepped and poured the 2nd half of the mold today. The first side has nice clean edges where it will meet the other half, exactly what I wanted to see. I am anxious to see this one,..not sure why. I kinda have a mold making fetish right now

I need more patience. Sometimes 24 hours takes forever. I am ready to see how the mold turned out, but the cure time isn't complete.
A few more hours and I will pop it and pour a cast, then 2 MORE hours of waiting to see what we got.

If you don't mind using TinSil....try Smooth-On's OOMOO 25.....75 min cure time for us impatient artists.

yea I am familiar with most of Smooth-On products. I usually get the slower cure time stuff because it tends to have less bubbles and the end results are usually better for me. also, Dahone I will PM you regarding your order for this and the circuit board.

I popped the new mold today. Looks awesome. I just poured cast one along with all my other greeblie molds. I am going to find out what the padded envelopes cost and shipping and I will add this to my greeblie sale thread.

Pics in a couple hours.

Picture time:

Here is the first cast next to the black original:
P1030594.jpg

Here is the cast close up:
P1030585.jpg

The original on the left, cast in the center, and painted cast on the right:
P1030595.jpg

P1030602.jpg

It came out good. The pour spout was really small at first which made it more difficult to pour so I got extra bubbles in the clear viewfinder center. I will be able to do it better now with a larger pour spout.

I taped off and painted it real quick, but the end result is great.

Also the magnified clear center part works just like the original, so it is about as close to the real thing that you could get. (even though you never really can look through it once it is mounted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it does look good. I noticed the lens defraction in the images. I thought that was cool that you got it that close to the original.

It worked pretty slick. The new lens has a few tiny bubbles but it works the same. I put one of my casts in the real camera and it worked the same as the real lens.

Cool Stuff

They are available in my greeblie sale thread:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/mq-1-circuit-board-keypad-casts-other-greeblies-dankenman-41106/

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back