and a question, Kidney, Cod, and Backplate

WTFett

Active Hunter
I've wrapped up painting some parts I got from RedKraytDragon and I need to darken the color a little. Do I just need to mist the parts with some flat black and then put the clear on? I can do another coat of the hunt club green if that will darken it some, but I'd rather not chance the paint cracking/spiderwebbing on me (again:p). Will the clear coat help to tone the color down?

IMG_2960-1.jpg

IMG_2962-1.jpg

IMG_2963-1.jpg

IMG_2969-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. I just got all of my armor from him and he did a great job. Love all the parts.

Talkren, thanks bro

WTFett, hey brotha ..yeah do some black misting on it (I would recommend an airbrush, but if you don't have one a rattlecan should get the job done) I did the same thing on my armor to tone it down and it works great. Be sure not to put too much black on there...do little steps at first and check under different types of lighting (sunlight is the best). Remember, you can always add more black misting paint if it's not enough, but it's hard to take it back off if you put too much. (you can do it but you have to be careful sanding it back off...happened to me lol)

After that, hit it with the matte clear coat for your very last step (after all your weathering and everything). The clear coat doesn't really do much to darken it, but it does help to get rid of the gloss shine. Make sure you allow enough time between coats (like a full day when it's really cold) to let the paint fully cure before putting on another application. Also, just a little tip I learned, you can paint in the garage (or maybe outside too...never tried it though) when it's pretty cold if you absolutely have to or just can't wait (like me). Just make sure you warm up the paint cans (or airbrush...whatever you're using) and also warm up the pieces you're about to paint. That'll help prevent orange peel (so does sanding between coats too ;)) Hope that helps. It's looking great so far (y)

Thanks Will. I've been painting outside but keeping the paints and pieces inside until I spray them. I think I'll find some scrap plastic and paint it to try on first. Sanding between coats, what's that?:lol:

0000 steel wool will help with the sheen and itll weather it a bit as well, I like krylons Matte clear works well and its cheaper than dull coat from testors

What metallic spray paint do you use? I have tried two types but they both would smudge or the shine would rub off. I sanded everything down and re-primed everything so I am just waiting on a new metallic.

really how long did u let paint dry? what prep did you do to the plastic? I use rusto painters touch metallic aluminum...its decent, its not super shiny like some, but alot of others dont like to stick or they dont like paint sticking to them

I used Rustoleum metallic silver. It comes out looking almost like that silver glitter gel/glue stuff but when it's dry it looks metal especially next to the other colors. And I let each coat dry about 24hrs before putting on the next one.

Thanks for the tip on the steel wool and krylon F4R. The Krylon clear doesn't interact with the Rusto?

Yeah I use the same stuff that F4R mentioned - Rusto metallic aluminum falcon (that should be I color I tell you!) and the krylon matte finish. Like he said, as long as the paints are all fully cured, the krylon matte won't react with the rusto. I throw a layer of it on the silver and it really helps with the masking fluid later on down the road. As a matter of fact, I have about 3 different types of paint on my armor all different brands and didn't have any issues at all with paint reacting (y)
I wasn't aware about the 0000 steel wool trick (thanks for the info F4R) I just did 400-600 sanding for the gloss and to prevent orange peel.

You know what now that you mention it I'm pretty sure you did and I spaced it =P I've been pretty scatterbrained lately ;) Either way, F4R knows his paints for sure. I used all the methods and paints he told me and it worked out great.

I had put down three coats of a rusto metallic, waiting 24 hours between coats. After that i brought the pieces inside and let them cure for about a week, so there was no tacky or stickiness to the touch. But still, gentle touches where ok, but put a slight amount of pressure and drag and the shiny would rub off. Maybe it was just because i didnt put a clear on after the metallic. It also could be that where i live is right around 40f-45f all the time right now. All of my painting is done in my garage which sits at about 45 all the time. But that is why i waited 24 hours between each coat. This is all new to me, so I am very certain that some of my problems where/are user error.

EDIT:

really how long did u let paint dry? what prep did you do to the plastic? I use rusto painters touch metallic aluminum...its decent, its not super shiny like some, but alot of others dont like to stick or they dont like paint sticking to them

I let it dry for 24 hours between coats and then at least a week after. I sanded everything down with a 400 grit then 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper then washed everything in warm soapy water and let dry, then 2 coats of primer with 24 hours between. The primer seemed to stick just fine, it doesnt rub off or feel powdery or flaky. Sorry its a cell phone picture but here are the two that i tried. The one on the left was ok, but still smudged a little (at the time i didnt know i was going to, or needed to, put a clear coat on it). The one on the right was just junk for me, everyone i talked to that had used it had the same complaints..."Smudges when pressed on" so I am like 84.67% sure that time it was not user error.

6297df45.gif

Wow that sucks dude :/ You shouldn't have to go to those extremes to make it work though. I used the Rusto painter's touch metallic aluminum with only one coat.
MyFett181.gif

It was dry to the touch almost immediately (I still let it set overnight though before applying the clear coat) and went on nice and smooth (I didn't even sand that layer it was so smooth). Also, it didn't smudge at all when touched. Although 45 degrees is pretty dang cold, I don't know...I guess it could possibly have some kind of affect on the application but that seems like a stretch to me. I paint in 50 degree temperatures in my garage all the time and have never had any issues...yet (knocking on wood). I just can't imagine 5 degrees making that much of a difference. It's got to be the paint or something else.
Maybe someone else can chime in about that?

Wow, you guys have been more than helpful and I appreciate the knowledge. Should I put a clear matte coat on after the silver?

I am gonna pick some of that up next time I get to town Will, thanks.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back