Jet Pack: FINISHED!

The new MB pack is a nice looking pack, somewhat a pain to build. My biggest complaint about it was the size, way to small. If you have a small build and not real tall it would be perfect, but for me it looked out of proportion. I sold mine and have an MLC pack soon to be on its way:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn TXP 0369 wrote:

I know you got your pack now, I wasn't posting it to help you out. :)

Lynn,

It was just a general comment letting everyone know that there's no further need to expend the energy of trying to convince me of which pack to buy. ;)

Of course, if you guys just LOVE to type... :lol:

Lynn TXP 0369 wrote:

RA fg.... It is a lot bigger then MB's new pack.
jp1a.JPG

JPcomp.jpg

Lynn
Is that RA's or GA's?
It looks great.

Baddblood wrote:

Is that RA's or GA's?
It looks great.

thanks!!

It is RA's fg pack.

It rocks! It is much bigger then GA or MB packs. The fg body came pre built and primed, I just had to clean, prime the resin castings. It also came with the harness as well. It weighs about 12 lbs.

Lynn

WOOHOO! My pack came in today! :D

As expected, it's going to need some work. I've contacted Ely regarding decals already.

It appears that the connectors and greeblies on the bottom of the body have been molded (poorly) into the pack itself. I may sand those off and Bondo that area so I can add the *real* connectors. Anyone know where I can GET "real" connectors, and which ones I need?

I need the "piano keys" too. They were likewise molded into the body. I want to sand that area down and replace it with replica piano keys. Again, any leads would be great!

The resin rocket and thrusters are usable, but will require a fair amount of work to clean up.

The resin upper and lower tank caps look odd, but I can work with them.

The resin "ring" that the rocket/grappling hook sets on top of doesn't look right to me. This one doesn't have the "vent holes" in it. Any leads on a replacement version?

Thanks in advance for helping me locate these few pieces I need! :)

Fetthunter wrote:

WOOHOO! My pack came in today! :D
It appears that the connectors and greeblies on the bottom of the body have been molded (poorly) into the pack itself. I may sand those off and Bondo that area so I can add the *real* connectors. Anyone know where I can GET "real" connectors, and which ones I need?
Thanks in advance for helping me locate these few pieces I need! :)

Here are my pack greeblies....
JP_details.JPG

I got these parts at Radio Shack over 2 years ago, they are in the electronic sections. The two square plug connectors are close, although one of the real ones is supposed to be a male connector instead of female. I havn't been able to find a male connector that looks the female one, so I just used two females.

The silver jack connector looks really close to the real one.

The other two detail parts are just push switchs I got for it, they used to have red and black push buttons, but they broke off over the years of sitting around and what not.

HTH,
Lynn

Mine has the 2 mic connectors molded into place, and what's worse, they're in the WRONG places! :lol:

I'm desperate for some "piano keys". Mine are molded into the pack, and there's little detail. :(

Well, after working like a madman on my jet pack for part of the spring, and then almost throwing it away, I decided to get into high gear last week. I've spent close to 12 hours a day (confirm that with my wife!) on this pack over the last 9 days. Lots of Bondo, sanding, spot putty, sanding, then repeating.

This pack looked like utter CRAP when I bought it. The original owner sprayed about 12 coats of silver paint on it and *tried* to assemble some of it. I had to strip the paint off. Unfortunately, the stripper removed some gelcoat that had to be replaced.

The original rocket was SOLID RESIN and seemed too large to me. I bought a MLC rocket from Seeker to replace it with.

The upper and lower tank caps were poorly cast in heavy resin, so I fixed one of each, molded them, then made casts in low-density Urethane resin.

The pack is NOW a hybrid:
<UL>
<LI> Jet Pack body: MandalorianCostuming fiberglass
<LI> Rocket: MLC
<LI> Resin tank pieces: Fetthunter Designs
<LI> Resin piano keys: RuffkinToys
<LI> Resin beacon: bought from Seeker (origin unknown)
[/list]

Onto the pics:

After it arrived, I stripped about 12 coats of silver paint off of it, sanded, fixed the gelcoat, and drew lines on it with a Sharpie where edges SHOULD be on a "normal" jet pack.

jet pack1.jpg

After much Bondoing, sanding, and filling with spot putty, I ended up with this (rocket placed on pack for reference use only):

jet pack2a.jpg

More sanding, prepping, and Bondoing the gaps between the resin parts and the pack itself, and you get:

jet pack and paint 2.jpg

A day spent weathering and detailing, and finally I arrived at:

jet pack final small.jpg

Don't ask about the "stabilizer"! :lol:

The pack is actually not as bright as the photos show. My camera just has a REALLY strong flash on it. :facepalm

Anyway, it's DONE. WHEW! Next time, I'll probably buy one a little closer to being "ready to wear"! :lol:

It's not the MOST accurate jet pack I've seen, but I've seen worse. And the important thing is the whole thing *only* cost me $150 & 6 months of my LIFE!!! :lol:

The kids enjoyed it on Saturday though, so I guess it was all worth it. ;)

DSC01333 sml.jpg

The pack looks great Jamey and your new ammo belt....but those poutches are the tops!!

Tambo Fett wrote:

The pack looks great Jamey and your new ammo belt....but those poutches are the tops!!

Thanks, bud.

I still have to put the black stripes on the thruster nozzles, but I figured the kiddies wouldn't notice, and it was already 3AM Saturday morning (got 2 hours of sleep before getting up for the Best Buy event), sooooo.... ;)

That new ammo belt *looks* good, but it's not very durable (like my last one). I think ammo belt 3.0 is in my future... :facepalm

Yeah, those pouches rock, don't they? I hear the guy that makes them is the COOLEST! ;) :lol:

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back