My hasbro helmet visor mod and repaint

Armydad

Active Hunter
repaint4.JPGrepaint2.JPGrepaint1.JPGrepaint3.JPGHey guys new to the forum, just want to hear what every one thinks of my mod, if popular enough i could post instructions, this one was a quick job, and very cheap for those on a budget, about 3-4 days ( depending on how much time you spend on it) and mabey 30 bucks in supplies besides the helmet

Wow, no replys yet. I am interested to hear what other people think of this, and yes I know its not a perfect reproduction of either the ESB or ROTJ, Im realy just going for looks cool/ and better than the Hasbro toy (which is what this used to be) So please any feedback would be appreciated.

As far as I can see, you have only extended the red visor part, don't you? That's the easiest way to tweak the helmet. If I had one, I would remove the face, move upwards the lower face, extend the cheeks to the bottom with plasticard and extend the 'nerve' details with bondo. That's the kind of mod I was specting. Don't get me wrong, yours is clean and well executed but... I think that many of us were expecting something more complicated :)

Thank you for the input, I too would love to do a little more in the "chop shop relm" of modding this helmet, but I am in the Army, stationed overseas and have both limited time and resources, I literaly only used a little card board, some bondo putty like stuff, sand paper and spray paint, and I did this all in my living room with my wife and kids running around ( and had to minimize the mess in the house) I also left many of the open areas, like under the cheeks and the back vents, for ventilation. Now if I had a shop area or garage to work in and could get my hands on some better supplies i would love to go all out with this. This was all in all a quick mod job, but mine does look much better than some of the other mods of this helmet that i have seen.

paint shop 2.JPGpaint shop.JPGAs for the templates that were requested, I dont have any pre-drawn templates, but I will explain as best as i can how I did mine.
1. I cut out visor extentions out of card board to raise the cheeks ( and creat the thinner T at the eye line) Cut one to the size and shape that you like, then trace that one and cut it out so you have two even card board wedges for each side. Next I used regular elmers glue to glue them in place (use masking tape to hold them in place if they wont stay in place)
2. After your cheek extentions are glued in place and dry tape up the visor ( make sure to use the painters masking tape or a few layers of regular so the paint doest bleed through.
3. Apply your puddy/ bondo substance to build up over the card board wedges ( use what ever you are comfortable using, just make sure it can be sanded) once dry sand down to nice smooth surface, as flush with the rest of the visor as you can.
4. Once you are happy with your sanding you are ready to paint, and thats all on you, I prefer spray paint, it gives a nice even coat, I put down a few layers of red first, then i made a stencle that over lapped the whole red-visor area, I then cut out "battle damage/ chipped areas" to make a stencle of the damaged areas. I taped that over the visor leaving only the areas I wanted silver exposed and put on a few layers of metalic silver. I then out lined the silver chipped area with a dull dark grey/ not quite black ( I found this color in my office so I dont really know what its called) I sprayed some directly into a cup so I could use a paint brush to touch up the edges of the silver chipped areas and add a little depth and worn look to the visor and other areas of the helmet.

All in all thats about it, took me about 3-4 days to do, but I bet if some one really applied their time and energy to this it could be done in two days easy. Here are a few picks of what it looked like after i had sanded the puddy stuff and started adding paint, you can see some imperfections in my sanding of the puddy, I left it like that to add to the worn look. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I am sorry though, these are the only pics I took while doing this.

Well I must say that I am kinda disapointed....... I was expecting a little more feedback from this site, a few more "hey thats cool" or "man you suck" or something. Yeah its a quicky job, I got that, and really thats part of the beauty in it, a quick cheap job that looks pretty good. Any way, if any one has anything to say, please by all means post something, thats the only reason I signed up for this thing.

I think it looks pretty cool. Little bit of effort makes all the difference. Nice job. Thinking about doing a similar thing to my daughter's clone trooper helmet(if she ever lets me have it!!)

Thanks I appreciate it, I really wish I could put some more effort Into it, unfortunately my situation limits me quite a bit, being stationed over seas is a real pain, hell I havent even been able to find some yellow spray paint for shoulder and knee pads. But I am doing the best I can with what I have, Im hoping that once I can get back stateside I could do a little more. But thanks again.

Thanks I appreciate it, I really wish I could put some more effort Into it, unfortunately my situation limits me quite a bit, being stationed over seas is a real pain, hell I havent even been able to find some yellow spray paint for shoulder and knee pads. But I am doing the best I can with what I have, Im hoping that once I can get back stateside I could do a little more. But thanks again.

Thanks for pointing me to your thread...I'm going to get one of those now. I could tell you were mil beyond your name because the green reusable bag in the background, I too have some of those! Depending where you are at, there are some fantastic Boba's overseas...when I first joined the 501st I was in IT. Most I know I learned from my Italian 501st mates!

hey armydad,
Not all threads get the postings you hope for. I do alot of custom work on 1:1 1:6 stuff and some stuff i just keep to myself. Anything custom is awesome!!

I think the simple mods are the hardest. Your lid looks great. Don't get discouraged by lack of posts. I have some questions I posted a yr. ago with only 1-5 replys

Again Kudos on lid

Cool, thanks it means a lot, im working on the ammo belt now, hope to get some more pics posted some time soon.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back