WIP - Bill's ROTJ SE build

Bill

Jr Hunter
Here's a set of fibreglass gaunts I got off ebay a while back. They need some work but they'll do to begin with.

DSCF1041.jpg

Here's the armour I'm building out of Aluminium:

DSCF0428.jpg

My Bobamaker helmet that arrived today:

Justarrived21Jan11.jpg

and I've started prepping it for a layered paintjob, first by painting it silver:

Sprayedsilver04.jpg

Sprayedsilver03.jpg

I'm waiting on my soft parts from LSFU but I'm certainly on my way.

Feel free to jump in and offer advice at anytime.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of em call it aluminum mate. ;)
It's cool that we're building our Fetts together.
Mine the awesome ESB one and yours the technicoloured court jester. LOL
(I kid. I kid. )
Whatever help you need I'm there buddy.

Hey mate thats a nice start you got their, you cant go wrong with a BM lid.
As soon as I saw this thread I knew those gauntlets instantly, because I had the same ones. They are a lot of work, but they can come out really nice when done up. I would first recommend a new rocket and flamer unit. Take a look at my thread if you get stuck on them, I got a WIP with them in from start to almost finish. The main problem you may have is that they wont align up when you trim them for your arms, what I did was heat it up with a hair dryer, gently bend them then placed them in a bowl of cold water still holding the shape, did this about 4-5 times and they came out nice.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/se-boba-fett-build-36925/

If you need any help feel free to ask, im also in the progress of a lid paintup if you need any advice on that, although there are some much better artists out there :p

Welsh

Welsh, you're gauntlets came out fantastically! Thanks very much for letting me know about them, you really do have a great set of progress pics in there. Thanks also for the advice, it is much appreciated.

As for you TrooperDyl.....why I oughta.....:lol:

Thanks for the posts...

Lookin Great Man!! Best of Luck...Its hard waiting for it to be done, but once you finish you realize how much you miss working on it....That's when its time to start upgrades!! Enjoy the build!!

I'm making the same aluminum armor right now as well. I cant wait to see how yours turns out.

I've had a bash at the armour with my ball-pein hammer and also had a quick go at layered paint. Bear in mind that while it is a gloss finish now, I'll fix that up later

DSCF1176.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

DSCF1178.jpg

As promised, a more detailed post of technique:

Here is the left chest piece with latex applied to mask the areas where the bare metal will show through:

Leftchestpiece.jpg

The latex was simply applied with a brush in the approximate areas that I could see on reference pics where the bare metal shows through on Boba's outfit.

This is the latex I bought from 'Fibreglass Material Services' here in Newcastle. I used the same stuff to make my Gamorrean guard mask.

Latextomaskpaintlayers.jpg

Here are the two chest pieces side by side. The latex is much thicker on the piece on the right, because I discovered on the ab plate that the thin bits can be more difficult to remove.

Chestpiecesinundercoat.jpg

And here are the two cans of paint I bought from Bunnings to do the colours. They are very cheap but to my eye match the armour near enough. That may change of course.

Spraycans.jpg

Here's a pic showing me peeling off the latex:

Peelingoffthelatex.jpg

But I think I over-weathered the chest. There is way more paint missing than on the screen Boba. Just goes to show I shouldn't do things by eye:

Toomuchweathering.jpg

It's a good thing this paint is so cheap. I can start all over again ;D

I've removed the gloss from the ab plate by giving it a quick go over with wet-and-dry sandpaper (wet).

Nomoreshiny.jpg

Here's what I did today.

Using Photoshop, I stretched and manipulated pics of Boba's actual armour and overlaid them onto the templates that I used to make mine.

Then I printed them out and cut out the pieces that I needed to mask. First the bits where there is no paint showing at all:

Rightchestlatextemplate.jpg

Then, using an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment, I took the paint off the armour:

leftchestbrushedback.jpg

I taped the templates over the armour and brushed the latex through the stencils:

abplatelatexapplied.jpg

I then used the same process to paint the yellow underpaint, cut the stencils again to remove the yellow parts, again applied the latex through the stencil and painted them up again:

2ndeffort.jpg

I think they look alot better than before and I have now placed the three little dimples in the ab plate.

I used different green paint this time around. The ab plate actually has two shades but for the top coat, I sprayed my new green (which is lighter than the last) and then gave it a mist of the lighter green over the top of it all.

It needs more weathering and grime but that can come later.

Looking much better! I'd also recommend misting it with darker colours to tone down the green a tad, also hit it with a matte finish to get rid of the sheen.

Thanks. I will be distressing it more soon.

Here's my first attempt at shoulders:

DSCF1241.jpg

The paint spatter doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. I'll put some scorch-marks on later and see what I think.

I was advised on another forum that his right shoulder is meant to have dents.....

So....

Dents.jpg

I'm also fixing up the paint on the chest armour. More to follow.

The first weathering was a little heavy but I think you've got it now, looks really good!

Thanks everybody.

I have had a go at making some scorch-marks on the armour. It isn't necessarily screen-accurate but I think it looks alright.

Scorchmarks2.jpg

Scorchmarks3.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back