WIP - Bill's ROTJ SE build

Can I sugest triming the front under thew key pad have a look at the real ones youl see what I mean youve got a whole lot of extra gauntlet there that has to go ,
all looking good though

Yep, it's way too much isn't it? I'll get some of it off tomorrow. I thought the originals had just been damaged but you're right, you can see there is about an inch too much.

Thanks mate.

Left gauntlet:

DSCF1974.jpg

DSCF1976.jpg

Here is the right gauntlet as it was.

DSCF1977.jpg

I've already taken the side bit off because it is way too low for my liking. When I put it back on, it will also help hide the gap.

As a side note, both gauntlets are the same colour but this is a good example of how pictures taken in different light will change the appearance of colours.

First time putting the gear on:

11September11.jpg

Heaps to do still but I can finally say it looks like Boba.

I've got myself a balaclava that will hide the chin (or chins), too.

So, I thought today would be a good day to start my jetpack.

First things first, get organised:

DSCF2141.jpg

I marked the centre of the thruster hole in preparation for the hole-saw:

DSCF2144.jpg

I made sure the hole was slightly smaller than I needed. Then I filed it a little larger with a rounded file:

DSCF2147.jpg

Making the thruster a nice, tight fit:

DSCF2146.jpg

I also marked a few more centre spots that I intend to use later on to help attach the bits:

DSCF2143.jpg

I glued and secured the fins to the rocket using araldite:

DSCF2149.jpg

Here's a stack-up of the bits:

DSCF2150.jpg

Then, I painted the parts that will be added later:

DSCF2148.jpg

And a base silver coat for the Jetpack itself (with a cookie):

DSCF2154.jpg

I used latex to cover the bits that are meant to look like paint scratches, the same way I did on the helmet.

Here is part of the rocket, almost finished:

DSCF2155.jpg

I have done some more but this MOW jetpack is proving difficult to paint. I have washed and sanded the JP but paint just seems to keep behaving badly on it. I'll struggle through.

Of course, that's the good thing about Boba, his stuff is meant to be a bit dodgy. Lucky that. ;)

This is what it looks like now:

DSCF2158.jpg

If I had to, it would be perfectly troopable as it is but there are bits of paint coming off where there shouldn't be (as if anybody would notice).

The main problem is that I didn't give each coat time to set properly. That has ended up with the paint separating and showing the base resin instead of the first coat of aluminium. I now have some good surface prep and primer, so I'll be doing it all again but taking it slower.

Upside of it all is, I now know the colours I've picked look ok and when I strip it back and do it properly, I should have one schmick looking JP. (No point crying over poorly applied paint ;))

Work (partially) well done. I guess the hardest part was that with the cookie... But you are on the right track, so keep up the good work!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back