Welsh's ESB paint up WIP

welshwarrior123

Active Hunter
Hey guys,
Im posting this WIP up primarily to update and document it for member Radar, who has commissioned me to paint this lid. But also I would like opinions, thoughts and criticism for the guys that know fett.
So I started this about a week ago, The helmet, a beautiful Bookmaker Lid, arrived and needed a little prep work.

DSCF0674.jpg

I regrettably messed up the beige masking and green layer resulting in a finish that I was not happy about, so when you see the back panels in the pictures please note that this is now gone.
So some research and looking around at the stickies on the site, I downloaded the PDF template files. I then went onto probably my favourite thread, Garretts "wafer thin ESB paint up) and got to work trying to follow the master :p
I first wanted to start with the physical damage, looking at Pontes ESB thread, I really wanted these chips in the lid, so at it I went with a Dremel.

DSCF0680.jpg

DSCF0681.jpg

Like I said I started with the back panels only to later strip them down, so progress starts on the ears. I firstly primered them, and hit them with humbrol red 60. I take no credit for these colours, these are the exact ones use in Terminal Fettlers thread.

DSCF0734.jpg

I then used the template to draw on the red damage (I'll explain how I did that later) And hit it with Grey 28+64.

DSCF0736.jpg

Using the template for the grey area, I drew them on, I decided to leave the masking fluid on over the red encase a missed a spot, and hit it with the final custom green colour of 159+78

DSCF0740.jpg

I then removed the masking fluid from the ear. I intend to use decals on the ears as I like the clean look you get from them. (Remember, ignore the back panels :p)

DSCF0753.jpg

DSCF0755.jpg

I also managed to finish the right ear, albeit the decals. I couldn't find a PDF template for this ear, so again using Garretts thread, I roughly followed his lines, adding my own artistic licence. Apologies for the poor lighting.

DSCF0742.jpg

So, the back panels looked okay I felt, especially since it was my first time painting a fett Lid. But I knew I could do better, especially with these templates.

So I got to work stripping the back panels down, then wetsanding them through endless grades of gritts, I got a nice smooth base in which to start.

DSCF0757.jpg

I then went to work with the template. I basically kept scaling the PDF until it was the right size, I then slapped a piece of tracing paper on the screen and went to work :lol:

DSCF0758.jpg

I then placed it on the helmet with some graphite paper and drew around it. After I was finished, I masked the spots up, and sprayed Humbrol 79

DSCF0761.jpg

Then came a part I didnt like doing, removing the Fluid. I managed really well with the ears, but I wanted to get that nice crisp edging seen on TF paint up. So a quick PM to the man and it wasnt long until he told me his secret :lol: Masking tape placed over the fluid to pull it up (y)

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

Seriously thank you TF for the tip, really got the definition and sharpness I wanted, without smudging or damaging the finish :lol: Ive left the fluid over some silver areas which dosent have the grey over. I currently have the grey areas masked out, I will be going out tomorrow to purchase more supplies so I cant get the beige layer down and masked up.
Any comments and Criticism will be highly welcomed,
Thanks,

Welsh

Looking good ,. did you get the lid from Daz,
It looks like he has changed the dome to a more acurate shape it looks good ,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there.. Tell you what i could really of done with you posting this about 3 months ago to assist me with mine LOL.. My biggest problem i had all the way through was creating and keeping the small crisp damage marks with the masking fluid, It was always hard
to not make the masking fluid lift off EVERYTHING!! I had to re-do a few sections to my frustration when a bit of masking tape could
of solved the problem.. Grrrr.. Looks great so far..I luv these WIP :)

Looking great there Lewis, shame you had to redo the back panels but if you weren't happy with them so be it....master at work. well i gave up on the lid after three goes plus the wife was getting a little annoyed with me by that point. Top work mate can't wait to see the end results and put it on.

Jinto yes it's from Daz.

Glad you like It radar, I know what you mean about the panels, but I really wasnt happy with them and its a great learning experience.

So, With the grey dry, I then went ahead and masked up all the areas I wanted to remain grey, as well as covering the exposed silver damage. I then mixed Humbrol 103 and a little bit of 94 to darken it a bit.

DSCF0766.jpg

Once It was dry, I then went about using masking tape to pull of the fluid, giving me those crisp lines. I also used a rubber/eraser for certain parts where the tape would'nt pull up the fluid.

DSCF0767.jpg

DSCF0768.jpg

DSCF0769.jpg

Now to put in the detail into the main ride side damage. Masking the area with tape, then using fluid to mark out where I wanted the damage, I then sprayed it with the Humbrol 79.

DSCF0770.jpg

DSCF0771.jpg

Once dry, remove the fluid to reveal the finished panel detailing.

DSCF0773.jpg

Im in the process of painting the green tonight, so depending on if its dry I may put another update up tonight.

Welsh

Looking good Nice sly shot of the JP as well , Fettzila were you using acrylic laqure or enamel , cos acrylic will tear unevenly with masking fluid were enamel will be crisp

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Goodus, I would love to paint up one of your lovely lids :D
Cheers Jinto, the JP is actually being worked on thats why it's their, painting on the last decals and finishing up the thruster lol.

Okay, so short and sweet update for you guys. Put on the final green layer about for hours ago, it was barely touch dry, but the masking fluid was comin off so nice that I did it all :S Really happy with how it came out, my ****** photographic skills dont do it justice.

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

I will be starting on the lower cheeks and dome now this week, although I still have to add the scratchs and other weathering to the panels but for now they are done.

Welsh

Thanks again guys :)
Managed to get some good progress done on the lid over the weekend. After masking up all but the lower cheeks and dome. I firstly hit the lower left cheek with the custom colour green from the back panels. Then masked the damage.

DSCF0791.jpg

I then hit the lid with Plasticote silver, I love this stuff. Gives a great metallic sheen and looks good when weathered.
I then went and masked the silver damage.

DSCF0793.jpg

Once masked and dried, I then and went and applied the grey 78. Once that was dry, I then removed all of the masking fluid for the silver that didnt have grey around, then masked the silver and grey damaged areas.

DSCF0794.jpg

DSCF0798.jpg

I then went and airbrushed the final green layer. I was shocked at how bright it looks in the photo's. But It looks spot on in person and will also still need to be weathered.

DSCF0804.jpg

DSCF0805.jpg

DSCF0803.jpg

DSCF0802.jpg

Very happy with how it turned out. I changed masking fluid from the Windsor and Newton to the Humbrol maskol and its a massive difference. Its much easy to apply and is also coloured which helps alot.
Next up will be the upper cheeks then I'm on to the mandibles and face.

Welsh

Excellent work so far, looking really sharp with the detail... My only tip would be to keep an eye on the scale of the damage, I found because you are working from the inside out with the damage, the finished areas can sometimes become slightly enlarged...(y)

Excellent work so far, looking really sharp with the detail... My only tip would be to keep an eye on the scale of the damage, I found because you are working from the inside out with the damage, the finished areas can sometimes become slightly enlarged...(y)

yes! Leave the line dont cover it up with masking fluid...thats a tip i got from ponte

Cheers guys, I'll take that into account on my next lid. This is my first helmet paint up and the person who commissioned me to do it new that it wouldn't be the greatest, But I am really happy with the way it has turned out. I kind of wished I used the Humbrol masking fluid from the start as the edging on the back panels could have been better, and also I feel the top dome scratch is a little to far forward but its hardly noticeable........ I think.
Once this is done, ive got a TK lid I want to put together, then I will be starting on my own helmet, hopefully improving my skills and methods from this lid.

F4R: The humbrol stuff is great, first off you can see where your putting it as its purple. Also I found that I could get those nice sharp and jaggard edges, which I couldnt manage with the Windsor. Dries alot faster as well and so far has been easier to remove with the paint on top.

Yeah the Humbrol maskol is amazing it leave the other masking fluids for dead goes on well stays were you want it and comes of realy easy ,
Looking good by the way

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back