Welsh's ESB paint up WIP

Got some more work to show, actually managed to get this done in one night which I was surprised by. I didn't take progress pictures as I totally forgot. Basically mask off the cheek areas, silver, mask, grey 79, mask, black 33 lol.
And amazingly its a nice day here, so I took the opportunity to get the lid out side and take some well lit photos. The sun is playing havoc with the silver in the photos, it still has to be weathered but really does look fine in person. You can also see on the right back panel where the paint was lifted up from the masking tape, easy fix which I will do once all the colours are down.
Onto the pics:

DSCF0813.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0815.jpg

DSCF0816.jpg

DSCF0819.jpg

DSCF0825.jpg

Next up the mandibles, trim and back detail, then to add the fine scratches and finally weathering. I can almost see the finish line :D

Welsh

Thank you CloneCollector :lol:

Another update for you all to scrutinize over, im also going to need some advice.

Okay on with the update, firstly having masked up the the mandibles, I hit them with the silver which was masked, then a custom grey mix, . I then started to mask off the grey and the silver damaged areas.

DSCF0828.jpg

I then applied a custom mix of 73 and 104, masked up all the damage and once dry removed to leave me this.

DSCF0832-1.jpg

DSCF0833.jpg

DSCF0834.jpg

I then masked up the silver, grey and purple damage and applied the final red layer of 73. Some outside and inside shots as the colour changes in different lights.

DSCF0835.jpg

DSCF0836.jpg

DSCF0837.jpg

DSCF0841.jpg

DSCF0843.jpg

DSCF0844.jpg

Now I need some advice, where I had masked up the back, removing the tape has removed a large portion of the green. Any ideas on how I can fix this and save the panel without repainting the entire piece. I was thinking of sanding around the edges with some wet + dry then masking the section off then spraying. Would that work?

Picture of the damage:

DSCF0846.jpg

Any comments and criticism is welcomed

Welsh

Ok, you can masking tape around the silver area, leave approximately a 5mm gap. Then carefully paint the Maskol between the edge of the tape and the start of the silver, following the edge as close as you can. Now you want to replicate the original detail in this area using the colours you mixed (presuming you have some left over) starting with the base colours and applied in a similar thickness to your original paintwork. The final top coat of green can be over applied, maybe one or two coats more, and the join can be feathered with 0000 gauge wire wool and fine wet and dry to level the area... I used this technique on the mandible area on a paint job a while ago, it was a small repair on an area, and you could not distinguish it from the surrounding area...
Hope this helps...

Update time :D.
I started to repair the back of the helmet, the left side is now finished, while the right still has a seam that I need to remove. I also glued on the inner ear cap, ready for the RF stalk to be screwed in place. I received the visor off of Radar today and taped it in place to get an idea of what the finished helmet will look like.

DSCF0858.jpg

DSCF0859.jpg

DSCF0860.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

DSCF0863.jpg

Any thoughts or improvements you think need to be made, other than the seam line on the back panel. I'll be starting the kill stripes some time this week then the ear details. Hopefully this lid may be finished by next week.

Cheers,

Welsh

Have you given the paint a light buff with 0000 gauge wire wool? I find this gives the paint more 'depth' for want of a better word. It will slightly deepen the red and gives the surface an over all sheen that brings the colours together, any shine will be lost when you add your weathering though. Looking very good so far...

Again all the damage looks like it wasnt scaled looks like its 110-120% to large for the helmet notice around the scrape on the mandible, theres not supposed to be that much silver there, not sure if this will bother you but this was the mistake I made when trying to use the stencils the first time.

Cheers G, no I Havant buffed it over yet, I was waiting to get all the colours down on the helmet first, I know that you do it in-between every colour. Your thread has been like a bible to me the last month or so lol, thanks for that.

Thanks for the imput F4R, I can see what you mean on the mandibles, the damage comes over to the left a bit to much. Hopefully on my lid I can try and fix the scaling issues. To be fair its my first lid paint up, im very happy with what ive done, and most importantly the person who commissioned the lid is also very happy with it, so all good :D

Update time, I don't know if this is an actual method, but I basically just used what I had in the shed, and it came out really well.
So I wanted to attach the range finder to the lid using the bolt method as I think down the line the owner wants a RC set up. I took a allen bolt and nut, and using a dremel, cut away the head of the bolt.

DSCF0866.jpg

I then went and enlarged the hole in the BM range finder arm to accomondate the larger bolt.

DSCF0867.jpg

Then I used two part epoxy resin to secure the bolt into the ranger finder arm.

DSCF0868.jpg

Once that was done, I then went ahead and drilled the hole in the helmet ( probably the most scariest part so far lol)

DSCF0869.jpg

I then simply bolted the range finder in place with the use of a nut and washer on the other side.

DSCF0872.jpg

DSCF0874.jpg

One attached Range finder :D

DSCF0876.jpg

DSCF0877.jpg

The arm and RF top still need to be weathered. Ive already started to mark out the ear decals as well as the kill strips so they will be finished come the weekend.

Welsh

Looking good mate.. What method are you going to use in keeping the range finder up? Been a bit stumped on what to do
with mine..Ive read some one on here mention Magnets but just wait to see what you do LOL ;)

Thanks mate.
Like I said the owner of the helmet plans to install a RC circuit to move the RF up and down. At the moment, with it screwed on it will stay in the up position quite well, you can also lower it down but it does eventually work lose. If you wanted it to permanently stay up I would say glue, if you screw it on like I did a little bit of blue tac would stop it moving (but is stays up fine just screwed on)

Cheers,

Welsh

Managed to get this done tonight which im quite pleased with. The kill stripes were a little bit daunting as they were being painted on top of 3 weeks of work. I first masked them out using Terminal Fettlers template, and used a mix of masking fluid and tape to mask them up.

DSCF0879.jpg

Once dry, I then firstly painted them with yellow 154, then misted on orange 82, starting heavy then getting lighter towards the front of the helmet. While the paint was still tacky I removed the masking to give me the finished Kill stripe that im very pleased with.

DSCF0880.jpg

DSCF0884.jpg

DSCF0887.jpg

DSCF0882.jpg

Just the ear decals and fine scratching to do then onto the weathering :lol:

Cheers,

Welsh

Outstanding Lewis, can't wait to get my hands on this work of art. Of course i'm now gonna have to send you another lid to do as this one will live in my display cabinet.............only jesting.

nice, keep up the good work.
By the time you finish this one, you'll have it sussed out and paint the next one perfect.

Cheers Guys,

Radar - If you like it mate then im a happy fella lol. Thank you for the compliment, and thank you for letting me paint the lid for you, not long left on it now :p

Aero - I was a little apprehensive about taking on a lid, my first one and its different when it not your own. With you lid it dosent matter if you mess up, you can do what you want to it. But I still didnt want to hold back on the paint job as after all it is someone else piece.

Goodus - Hehehe you never know lol. I actually may have gotten another commission off of a member from the RPf, But he's still waiting for his BM lid so that wont be for about 2 months. I want to get my lid done, possibly another by the side ;) before I actually start taking any more on. Plus I want to get this stencilling scaling worked out >_<

Welsh

Cheers Treppfett

Well guys, been working my way at this lid all weekend and im finally finished.
Applied the black damages under the dent as well as in the kill stripes. Hand painted on the two ear details, and used a fine liner for the small black details. Using a toothbrush I applied the brown spatters to the right cheek and on top of the range finder. Then finished the helmet off with airbrushing black 33 over it and sealing with a satin clear coat.

DSCF0894.jpg

DSCF0907.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

Sorry about the poor lighting, I will get some nice out door shots when it stops raining lol. Im very pleased with the out come for my first lid, and hopefully radar will be to. Ive actually gotten another 2 commissions from posting up these WIP threads, but the next helmet I will be painting will be my own :D
Opinions would be appreciated, just got to put this thing safely away ready to be returned to Radar.
Cheers,

Welsh

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back