Jango: My First "REAL" Build

It's actually pretty blue. I've ran it through two HOT washes with bleach to fade it out a bit, as well as shrink it a couple of inches. I picked up some RIT Purple dye yesterday and should be able to hit this by this weekend. I'm also aggressively working on getting some charcoal grey leather to have vest made. I know LadySewforus is pretty much the GOLD STANDARD, but I would kind-of like it sooner than 4 to 6 months.

I'll post pics this weekend if the "blurple" attempt works!

BTW: other than being undoubtedly blue, the BOBAMAKER flightsuit is AWESOME!!!!

A Bit of a Set Back, but a valuable lesson learned....

Hey, did you know that bleach goes bad; basically losing it's potency? Well I didn't. So after 4 washes with a decent amount of apparently expired bleach my BOBAMAKER Flightsuit was only a slightly lighter shade of dark blue. I was out of bleach so went and purchased a new bottle. Tossed the flightsuit in for one more wash, adding the same amount of NEW bleach as I had with the other, and......VOILA!!

IMAG0109.jpg

HOLY MOSES!!!!! :facepalm

Looks like a Boba Fett ROTJ Flight Suit :lol:

So, I have some RIT Navy Blue and RIT Purple. Any suggestions as to the best way of attacking this???

The MORAL of today's story is: Check your bleach's expiration date, AND a little bleach goes a LOOOOOOOOOONG way!!! :lol:

Jason

WOW Boba LOL!..Ya, the colors you have should work like a charm! Not sure if youve already done this but shoot sandysith a pm as he used the dyes and really got a great color on his suit! Your almost there man!!!
B

Here's my BOBAMAKE Flightsuit after a RIT Purple, followed by a RIT Royal Blue; neither were full strength. I had to fade the Purple a bit before hitting the Royal. I think it looks more "Purlue," than it does "BLURPLE."

IMAG0126.jpgIMAG0127.jpg

I'm going to do another Royal bath and see what happens. If I don't get the look I want after that, I think I might need to bleach and start over, but this time do the Royal FIRST. Anyone have any thoughts?

At Dynamic's suggestion, I'm gonna PM SandySith; thanks B, GREAT suggestion I had not thought about. Any other input or HEEEEEEELLLLLLLP would be greatly appreciated.

J-

Here is the mix I used with the dyes. 4 parts Denim Blue to 1 part Purple. Rit Dye run something like 1/2 tsp Denim and 1/8 tsp purple per cup of water. There are 16 cups in 1 gallon.
I believe I used 2 gallons of boiling water. So that would be 8 tsp of Denim Blue and 2 tsp of purple. Hope that helps!

SS - Thanks for the input. I KNEW you were going to say something comPLETEly different from what I did....LOL! Oh well. I did another Royal "bath," and I think I might almost be there. It may be a tad bit dark, but nothing a few HOT washes might be able to cure. I will try to get a pic of it in the sunlight tomorrow afternoon and post. Again, thank for the input.

Now.....anyone know of an accurate VEST needing a good home?!?!?!? LOL!!

Well I got mine very purply blurple the other day. I think it is fairly dark but I am going to wait to see how things look together before changing it. Mine is Geonosis colored as of now.

I think the texture of your flightsuit is going to come out better than mine. I also think that just judging your earlier pics you will have just a bit of natural weathering that will show well with the completed costume.

I think....I THINK, I might have achieved the color I wanted. I would venture to say it's more Kamino than Geonosis. Not sure how that will mesh with my "Stubby" jetpack, but I guess I'll deal with that later. Until then, what do you think???

IMAG0135.jpgIMAG0136.jpg

The collar is blue, so you can kind of compare and get the actual color of the full suit. It appears to have that purple tint to it. As always, input is greatly appreciated!

Jason

Nice looking! I hope my color is accurate for the Kamino version. I think it is anyway. ;-) I think for Geonosis it might need a teeny bit more purple. You know, I used a little bit of rit WINE dye for mine. Mine was from bleahhh and it was kind of sky blue blue. So I added a bit of the wine and wow. I liked it. Might want to try a little bit of wine dye, maybe. Looks good tho.

Mhlayne - Thanks for the tip on the "wine" color. I'm not sure I remember seeing it in the RIT display, but I will definitely look for it.

B - What's cool about the coloring is that, straight on, it's all the same color, including near the zipper. When you go from an angle is when you really pick up the blue and purple tints.

Thanks for the input guys!!

That is the nice thing about the Jango color! You can pretty much tint it to what looks right to you and still have it be accurate. It is all about getting it with in the purple-blue spectrum. Keep up the good work!

So, I really feel like I've been sitting in limbo for a while. The vest is the LAST piece I need. I am certainly aware that LADYSEWFORUS and BOBAMAKER are the "gold" standards and I will be ordering from one of them very soon. I was just kinda of buying some time to see if I could find one in the Cargo Hold, so I wouldn't have to wait for months to receive my piece of magic. I thought one was coming my way, but alas, the seller has not returned to the boards :cry Anyhow, I decided to buy a little more time and learn a new skill along the way. I got hold of a sewing machine and went to work!!

Vest Pattern.jpgFront Piece.jpgFront Cut Out.jpgAll the Pieces.jpgShoulder Armor Pattern.jpgCreating the Shoulder Pattern.jpgShoulder Pattern.jpgRounding the Shoulder Pattern.jpgShoulders Traced.jpgJango Vest.jpg

I started with a Western Vest pattern by SIMPLICITY; used vest D and did not account for the front closure. Instedad of cutting out two panels in the FRONT and two in the back I just traced them as a single FRONT and single BACK. I used my shoulder armor to create a tracing, then drew a shoulder pattern around the armor tracing. After that I added another 1/2" to the shoulder pattern to account for the stitching. IMPORTANT!!!! Be sure to CURVE the sewing end of the shoulder pattern (I aligned it to the FRONT & BACK panels); if it is sewn in a straight line it will stick up like an airplane wing! At JOANN Fabrics they have premade piping!!! It only comes in white (as you see on the shoulders) but it can be painted with some grey fabric paint, which I will be doing. From there....GO TO WORK!!!

Please be gentle with your comments....LOL! I am NOT a seamstress; and this is my FIRST ITEM EVER!!

The best part......I have LESS THAN $30 INVESTED IN THIS, with enough fabric for a second!! :eek:

Gentle Comments Appreciated...

All the Pieces.jpg

Creating the Shoulder Pattern.jpg

Front Cut Out.jpg

Front Piece.jpg

Jango Vest.jpg

Rounding the Shoulder Pattern.jpg

Shoulder Armor Pattern.jpg

Shoulder Pattern.jpg

Shoulders Traced.jpg

Vest Pattern.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back