Jango: My First "REAL" Build

Home sick today, but managed a couple of simple things on the bucket. Attached the RF, cut out the visor, and did some drimmeling (is that even a word???) for a more flush visor fit; a la CRUZER's tutorial. Still to do...
1. Attach Visor - Trying to decide if I want to do the nut-bolt-and-washer method, or glue.
2. Cut section and attach Key Slots
3. Maquire's polish
4. Pinstripes
5. Padding
6. Weathering

Almost there...

IMAG0533.jpgIMAG0531.jpgIMAG0532.jpg

I know it's not December 25th, but when I got home this afternoon.....I SWEAR IT WAS CHRISTMAS!!! My wife informed me, "Hon, you have a box in the garage that came earlier." I ran in, opened it up and yep...

Stubby.jpg

My MoW V1 "Stubby" Arena Pack. WOO HOO!

My excitement didn't even have time to settle, when I saw our Postal Carrier coming up the walk just 10 minutes later with a box. Could it be??? Yep...

CRUZER Cod & Knees.jpg

My Cod and Knees, courtesy of CRUZER.

My jaw is STILL on the floor over the craftsmanship these two "artists" put out. I mean, the jet pack is a V1; I can only imagine what the V2 looks like, because this thing is AWESOME!! And the knees and cod. I told my wife, "This is what a great salesman does. They let the product do the work." These aren't even his top of the line cold cast pieces and I already want to order everything he offers. WOW!!

Christian (MoW) and Lorenzo (CRUZER), thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! You guys, along with so many others here on TDH are AWESOME!!!

Jason

Man that arena pack is different than mine, so mine may be a V2. I bought mine second hand but it is marked MOW 2010. I am really pleased with mine but you have now caused me many questions. The investigation will now begin.

And I know what you mean about Cruzer. I have a CC back and boot armor and holsters, and I am sold on his workmanship.

Mullreel - If your pack is marked "2010," it would probably be safe to say that it is a V2; however, I would be curious to know the differences....because this thing is awesome! Christian (MoW) had this one hanging on his wall. Fortunately, I put out a plea for a "stubby" at the same time he was ready to replace his wall hanging with his newest version. Talk about coincidental luck. And as far as CRUZER's armor, well we both know how great it is. Seriously, I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

On a side note: Each time I see your icon, coupled with the memory of CRUZER's Full Jaster sale he had some few months ago, I am itching to get a hold of another ASOK helmet and do a Jaster. I'll finish Jango first though.

Thanks for looking in on my post!

Jason

I don't like posting pics in other peoples threads but a picture is worth a thousand words so......

jpkit.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can see the jet nozzles are cast differently and to me the center cone looked just a bit different. Are the diagnol parts on the outer thrusters seperate on yours? or were they just already assembled? As you can see on mine they are seperate and need to be attached. I guess the biggest thing I noted was the area around the exhaust nozzles. As far as I can tell though there is nothing wrong with either cast.

I would be willing to buy another Asok to build up just for the heck of it. I enjoy working on his helmets.

The jet pack came partially assembled, since it was hanging on his wall as a display. He dismantled some of it for shipping purposes. I've really enjoyed working on the helmet as well. Since I'm on the topic of the helmet: I was wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion on how to fix the minimal space left at the install of the key slot area. JB Weld? Primer/Filler with RnB?? Bondo, Primer & RnB??? Heavy weathering???? As always....any help and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

IMAG0549.jpgIMAG0548.jpg

Should they be closer to being flush w/the surface of the helmet? I thought I studied the reference pics pretty well and it appeared to be somewhat sunk in. Let me know. Thanks!

Jason

A few updates today. Time and weather (rain) were not on my side today. Mostly, I managed to get out and get some supplies for later this week. Here is what I have picked-up, as well as managed to work on indoors. As always....PLEASE comment/make suggestions.

Polished - FRONT.jpgPolished - ANGLE.jpg
I know I went against suggestions and purchased Mother's as opposed to Maguire's, but I DID use the McDonald's napkins! I think the shine came out pretty well. Thoughts?

Helmet Supplies.jpg
Some of the supplies I picked up to finish the helmet. Padding, weather paints and sponges.

Weathering - LEFT.jpgPinstriping * Weathering.jpgWeathering - RIGHT.jpgWeathering - RF.jpg
I've never weathered anything before. I feel like it is a bit heavy. Cool thing about the acrylics is that it can be scraped off easily if there is too much, which I've begun doing in some places. I also managed to pinstripe. Thoughts or suggestions???

Westars.jpgWestars - TIPS.jpg
Almost finished with the Rubies Westars (orange & white). Gold faucet washers on, as suggested in another post; as well as gold detailing. I picked up some Metallic Aluminum for the grips, only to find it was pretty much the same color already laid down on the blaster. Thought for a moment then decided to lightly "dust" the taped-off grips with some Ocean Blue. I think once I weather these they'll be passable....for a while.

Stubby & Paints.jpg
And finally, "Stubby" is just waiting for his turn. I'll hit up Michael's tomorrow to grab some RnB then I'll go back-and-forth between taping & painting him ("Stubs"), and RnB'ing CRUZER's cod and knees.

There you have it. Please give me some suggestions. Anything that has been done correctly is because of the talent that is already here on TDH, and I want to try to take in as much more of it that I can!

Regards,
Jason

Thoughts on these boots? Price wasn't too bad; just $25 shipped. I kind of view them as a "place holder" for the time being.

boots.jpg

As always....THANKS for any input!

Jason

Aggressive tread... check...High arch... check...good area for swoops... check... Bull logo... check... Wait, no :)

Those do not look too bad at all, and for 25 bucks, you can't beat it. The snap for the armor should cover the logo too. I am looking for a placeholder pair too until I can get my hands on the holy grail.

In regards to the weathering. I would just take a dry cloth and rub everything down really well, like you are polishing it. A bit of the "dirt" will come off but it will be very asymetrical. Personally I like the stuff to look dirty. Star Wars is a dirty universe.

Mull - Thanks for the tip on the weathering. Yes...it is a pretty dirty universe. Trout - I was thinking I could use the boots when I do a....wait for it....Jaster BULLreel!! Oh dang; I must be tired. Thanks for the input!!

So a few updates...

I RnB'd CRUZER's Knees and Cod, and was so impressed (Rub-n-Buff ROCKS!) I re-did my other armor pieces, except for the back, shins and boots which will be replaced SOON. I also kept second-guessing my Rubies-moded Westars; soooo... I repainted the grips. Didn't like. Repainted again. Didn't like. Repainted ONE LAST TIME and quickly weathered them to thwart my acute A.D.D / O.C.D. Then, like ripping a band-aid off, I mixed up some more brown & black acrylics. Took a deep breath.....then weathered the armor. On a positive: I think I was consistent, as it appears the Helmet, Armor and Westars have all traveled to the same dirty parts of the galaxy. On a possible negative: It looks like Jango had a long stint on Dagobah, as the weathering might be a tad-bit heavy. Thoughts, comments & input, as always, are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Knees RnB.jpgWeathered Lowers.jpgWeathered - NO FLASH.jpgWeathered Westars & Helmet.jpgRnB Armor with Helmet.jpgWeathered Uppers.jpgWeathered Westars.jpg

Regards,
Jason

Quick Update: Started working on "Stubs." Did a bit of sanding then primer; followed by more sanding and primer. As I had mentioned the pack came partially assembled, as it was displayed on Christian's (MoW) wall. I started to tape it of and became completely overwhelmed as to where the lines laid between the Royal Blue, Blue Grey and RnB! YIKES!! So, out of a bit of desperation, I managed to pop off the other pieces that are normally unassembled on a new pack. I think this will make the painting a bit easier. NOT easy, just easiER. I also hit the gauntlets a bit more. I think I'm going to end up replacing the bottom of each gauntlet with a FOR SALE sign, a'la WoF's templates, to give some cleaner lines.

IMAG0600.jpgIMAG0604.jpgIMAG0606.jpgIMAG0601.jpgIMAG0603.jpg

By the way, will RnB work over paint? This might determine which I do first, paint or RnB. I've heard both ways from a couple of extremely reputable sources.

Thanks for looking!

Jason

ps: ordered my SHINS and BOACK from CRUZER!!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back