Jango: My First "REAL" Build

Dont know if youve done it or not but if you are still unshore about attaching the key slots cheek out how Devilstar did his , its such a good way ive had to go back and redo mine that way ,

Thanks for all of the input! Sandy - Did you PAINT first or RnB?

Dynamic - I used a small sponge that came on a wood stick. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics in a two-pack; one small and one large. The small was perfect and you can use a blotting motion as well as a quick, brush motion. To get in the cracks and crevaces I used a Q-tip.

Jinto - I installed the keyslots but I will most definately check out Devilstar's method. Thanks for the info.

I just printed out WoF's Armor Templates so I can utilize the boot armor that originally came as "extra" with my helmet. I've been on a bit of a spending frenzy with Jango items and my wife may end up giving me a severe beat-down if I don't reel myself in!

Thanks again!!

Hey All! Haven't updated in a while due to being sick and work; maybe it's sick of work? Either way...it's been a while. So after some deliberation, and additional spending, I've deceided to take a page out of Mhlayne's build thread and attempt an economically-friendly girth belt. I figure it's not AS VISIBLE as some other pieces, and it's going to be covered by my recently purchased SEEKER AMMO BELT. This along with a recent purchase of CRUZER's BACK and SHINS helped to make the decision of waiting on one of Tlobe's leather girths. So this is what I'm doing (any suggestions would be appreciated)...

I picked up some 1/4" braided nylon/propylene rope (100') at Hope Depot, along with some shelving liner. I cut 21 pieces of 40" rope then burned the ends to keep each piece from unraveling (burn the end then twst with your finger tips. WEAR A THICK GLOVE to keep from burning yourself!). I then cut two pieces of the selving liner measuring 44" x 5.5". This way I can double the thickness and have about a 1/4" in width (or height) to work with, wich can be trimmed when finishes. The rope has been laid out to get an idea of how it will look, which I think for current less than $20, it looks pretty good. Right now it's held in place (temporarily) with duct tape.

IMAG0633.jpgIMAG0632.jpgIMAG0631.jpgIMAG0634.jpgIMAG0636.jpgIMAG0635.jpgIMAG0637.jpg

Here are the proposed next steps...

1. Glue the shelving liner pieces together with fabric glue
2. Color the shelving liner with kiwi liquid shoe polish (brown)
3. Color the rope pieces. This is where I'm not sure what will work. I am going to try all of the following until I get a working result (if anyone KNOWS what will work, please share): Rit Dye, upholstry paint, liquid shoe polish, marker, ...??? I'm concerned about the nylon/propylene actually being able to absorb a color. PLEASE HELP!!!
4. Glue rope pieces to shelving liner and to each other using fabric glue. I plan on C-clamping each end of the the belt between wood blocks to hold everything in place and drape the belt as it dries.
5. Punch holes into each end then use a leather lace to close/connect.

How's it sound? This is all in theory so it may fly....or it may fail miserably. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Regards,
Jason

Hey man! Looking good! For the girth belt:
I used hot glue, but I suppose fabric glue would work good too! And coloring. I put it all together, then colored it. I used wood stain. Like a reddish brown color wood stain. Painted it on, let it dry. Then just recently, I just kind of misted it with a "gloss" valspar brown. Mine was a bit too dark. Now it looks like leather! Definitely drape it while you're gluing. I used a trash can liner.
Everything sounds great! It should work great. Keep going!

Just a quick update...

I primered, steel-wooled, then RnB'd my boot armor. I think it looks pretty good; RnB never ceases to amaze me!

IMAG0666.jpgIMAG0667.jpg

Last week I ordered a set of resin Westars from Arsenal Models. I was "cautioned" by a TDH member before ordering, but the search for adequate blasters is second only to the Kenneth Cole Pit Crews. I have a set of modified Rubies, but I needed something that would actually fit into my holsters. Mind you, these pics are AFTER 3 hours of dremmeling, sanding and a bit of carving with a razor blade. Arsenal Models was FANTASTIC with their communications and their shipping, and the price isn't too bad. With that being said, it's not too bad if you have the skills to do the finishing work. I honed my skills a bit on the helmet, but these are going to take some work. I'm not unhappy with them, but not totally exstatic either. I'll just have to do what I can.

IMAG0670.jpgIMAG0671.jpgIMAG0673.jpgIMAG0672.jpg

Any suggestions for the pin holes in the grips? As well as the ridges around the muzzle and at the back?? Thanks for any input and assistance. It is GREATLY appreciated!!

Regards,
Jason

Checked my horoscope today (Aries) and it told me today was a "good day with lots of energy; complete some projects." So, I decided to test it.....and it was true! I managed to bust out my budget girth belt (y)
Got the 21 cords glued together AND glued to the backing. Once it was set I found some wood stain that I already had and got 3 coats on it. It will probably take a couple more to look more leather-like, but for less than $20, what do you all think???

IMAG0674.jpgIMAG0675.jpgIMAG0676.jpgIMAG0678.jpgIMAG0677.jpg

BIG thanks to Mhlayne, whose method I used. I think it will definitely do until I get some leather making experience. Especially since it will be partially covered by one of SEEKER's awesome ammo belts. I will still punch the ends and use leather chord to secure it when wearing.

Not bad for a budget girth. I might hit it with some paint for color too. If that is nylon cord it is never going to soak up enough. A nice dark brown and just paint it. You could then wipe it with a dry cloth and probably get some decent weathed appearence too.

I have a nice girth belt but this makes me want to try one just for the fun of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mullreel - Thanks for the input. I'll check it in about 24 to 48 hours and see what it looks/feels like; then I might give it a light "dusting" of some brown spray.

Looks great man! Yeah, I sprayed mine with some brown gloss paint and it looks good. You did a great job on your girth belt! I am impressed.

Ok. It's been a while since I've updated, but I wanted to share some more. I've actually been working on Jango, but nothing more than sanding, filling, priming, repeating the resin Westars; they're coming along slowly, but nicely. Anyhow, I wanted to do something other than inhale sanded bondo and primer, as well as my wife has been discretely hinting that I have been taking up some prime realestate in the garage. Sooooooo.....

IMAG0702.jpgIMAG0703.jpgIMAG0704.jpgIMAG0705.jpgIMAG0708.jpgIMAG0707.jpgIMAG0706.jpg

Now, I've NEVER done anything remotely close to this, so please be kind. My Vader is on a mannequin that took NO building whatsoever. Some PVC, Toilet Paper Rolls (yes...TP), Paper Towel Rolls, old towels, and LOTS of Duct Tape! Kind of looked like a Battle Droid at one point.

As usual, what do you think (the mannequin, outfit, etc.)? Input is GTREATLY appreciated! Thanks...

Well, after no significant progress for a while, I managed to pick up some Cruzer cold cast upper armor to replace my budget plastic armor. After announcing that somewhere, Cruzer contacted me and asked if I wanted to change my gelcoat Back & Shins order to a CC set to match. Well, who could pass it up! I'm hoping to have my cc shins & back by the weekend. Additionally, I should be picking up a set of Cruzer's gauntlets with Darkside metal parts, from a TDH member down her in the OC; Cruzer confirmed that these were originally produced for Disney World, FL., but were never taken delivery of. So, a bit of a "story." I'll get pics posted soon. Also, if anyone is interested, I will be posting the budget upper armor in the Cargo Hold for anyone that would like some already RnB'd and weathered armor for a Jango or custom Mando. Talk with everyone soon!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back