Keyslot install

Sand down the edges a bit to make sure everything lines up and fits flush. Then I just use 5 min epoxy and stick it on there.

The main thing is to make sure you fit the opening. If the keyslot side it still too big it won't fit the curve at the back of the helmet and will cause gaps.

Dremel, 60 grit sandpaper, and epoxy putty. :)

2011-01-05113013.gif

2011-01-05115335.gif

2011-01-06071023.gif

Well I tried that method and screwed up the keyslots guess I when alittle to fast....Time to break out the resin and the aluminum powder....:(

after I cut out the square n the back for the slots I measure all four sides and cut out a paper template of the back. After that I center the key slots on the template, then mark the outer line of the template on the piece. I cut the excess off, sand the back down a bit, the sand the edges on a bit of a bevel to fit. Then some extra thick ca glue to hold it in place. I've been asked to post a tutorial with pics, and I completely spaced it out on this last helmet, but it's ok, i've still got 3 more to do very soon. That tut will be posted, fear not, gentle reader.

after I cut out the square n the back for the slots I measure all four sides and cut out a paper template of the back. After that I center the key slots on the template, then mark the outer line of the template on the piece. I cut the excess off, sand the back down a bit, the sand the edges on a bit of a bevel to fit. Then some extra thick ca glue to hold it in place. I've been asked to post a tutorial with pics, and I completely spaced it out on this last helmet, but it's ok, i've still got 3 more to do very soon. That tut will be posted, fear not, gentle reader.

Yeah, since mine was getting painted, I just marked right on the keyslots... Well, I guess you could do it with cc too. That crease gets weathered on Jango anyway.

I've just ordered a second keyslot panel off Asok because my first one is stuffed

Not because of anything I did! no slip of the dremel, not even from accidently dropping it no Sir!!

Well dropping it may have had something to do with it....dropping it next to my dogs bed in the garage maybe

yeah I didn't name him Chewie for nothin' you know :(

@ Werstrooper Sorry to hear that your in the same boat. Its rather tricky install wish the key slots had been made into the helmet. :(

Guys one other quick question? I have started painting my lid and the Rustoleum Royal Blue is coming up rather bumpy. Whats the story on this? Shouldn't it be spraying flat? Do I need to sand it after I spray the Royal Blue on?

i'm still using my first ever can of rustoleum royal blue, i've done like seven helmets with it so far. soon to be another two or three more. just be sure to hold it upside down and spray the nozzle clean before and after you use it.

i like to prime twice when i do a helmet too. i use rustoleum filler primer first, then wet sand it down a bit with 800 grit. then i use rustoleum automotive primer and wet sand that with 1000 grit. after that you're ready for paint.

Use the krylon primer and you won't have to sand it at all... You should try it sometime. ;)

EDIT-

As far as spraying the blue cans clean, I've tried that and its hit or miss. It doesn't always work. Seems to me that once they start sputtering, its **** near impossible to get it to stop no matter what you do. But then again, what do I know? Its not like I ever painted a helmet before, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back