Past Project: Luke's X-Wing Helmet

RickyFett

New Hunter
So I grew up as a Air Force Brat, moving all around the world. Friends came and went, but Star Wars was always with me. I would watch the movies over and over.....and over again like many of you, but for some reason I had Lukes helmet burned into my head. I don't know if it was the colors, the designs, or that it was with him through all of his adventures. So every Christmas(early eighties), I would begg my poor parents for a Luke Skywalker x-wing helmet, needless to say it never came.

So years passed, like 20+ years, and i began to get that itch again, you guys and gals know that itch im talking about! One day out of the blue I mentioned to my wife how cool it would be to get my hands on an old flight helmet, and she didn't understand so I explaind to her blah, blah, blah.... and told her the story. So Christmas 2008 rolls around and we open all of our gifts, well at least I thought? My wife brings me a box from the closet and to my surprise it was an F-18 fighter pilot helmet that she got from a co-worker who was a former Marine Fighter Pilot.

I was excited, but had mixed emotions. I thought this is such a cool preseant, but do I have the BRASS to chop it up and possibly ruin it. My wife knew my talent of model building, painting and sculpting and told me "just do it!". So I did............

Here is what the helmet looked like.
HPIM2554.JPGHPIM2556.JPGHPIM2555.JPG

Then I get to work.
HPIM2562.JPGHPIM2574.JPGHPIM2576.JPG

Here are the progress pics
HPIM2602.JPGHPIM2603.JPGHPIM2604.JPGHPIM2609.JPGHPIM2637.JPG

HPIM2639.JPGHPIM2642.JPGHPIM2641.JPGHPIM2646.JPGHPIM2653.JPG

HPIM2670.JPGHPIM2665.JPGHPIM2676.JPGHPIM2675.JPGHPIM2673.JPG

After weathering.
HPIM2710.JPGHPIM2709.JPGHPIM2711.JPGHPIM2714.JPG

Finished after 4 months of labor.
My Helmet.jpg

And in 2009 @ San Diego Comic Con, I was able to meet Mark and have him sign the top left side of my helmet. Its hard to see in the pic, but it says, "Best To Ricky, Forcefully Yours, Mark Hamill" I now have it proudly displayed in my home, in the MAN CAVE.
Cali July 2009 3 133.jpgRICKYFETT.jpg212121.jpgIMG_1213.JPG

Hope you have enjoyed the pics, I just wanted share some of my past projects with the Forum, I'll be posting more past projects here in the near future, along with current stuff too.

RickyFett

HPIM2706 copy.jpg

Cali July 2009 3 132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a recent convert to X-Wingbuckets, LOVE THEM. That's a great bucket bro. Are the details vinyl decals, or hand painted??

Decals are indeed vinyl, with layers of a satin clear coat to smooth over and protect the decals. I got the the decals on eBay from George Wallace designs, but I haven't seen them is a very long time, any idea on where to get some solid good ones for future projects?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back