Rub N Buff and painting

cblackthorne

New Hunter
Hello,

I have a question regarding painting after using the Rub n Buff.

Do most of you primer and paint the blue sections of the helmet before you apply the Rub n Buff or the other way around?

I havent tried anything yet, but since Rub n Buff is a wax application, Im just curious the best process for painting the helmet.

Regards,
Chris A.

I have a cold cast helmet...but what I did for the Jet pack was tape off the areas to be R&B'd and than paint. Than tape of Painted areas and use the R&B. Hope that helps a little.

I'm doing a regular gelcoat/fibergalss kids helmet now. I primed the whole thing before I cut the visor. sanded it, primed it again. Did all the cutting of the visor, then sprayed the light ocean blue with no masking. Let that dry overnight, then use a fine 1/8" tape to mask the lines at the cheeks and ears, then regualr paint tape to cover the rest of the ocean blue. I still dont cover the part to be silver, and spray the darker rustoleum blue. Untape and wait a couple days. Rustoleum takes a little bit to be non-tacky. Light scuff the part to be silver so the paint that bled over doesnt show a raised edge. When I'm ready for rub-n-buff, I'll use the 1/8" tape and hit the top edge of the raised blue stipe so it stays blue and apply carefully with a q-tip around the edge. Same around the cheeks. Then smear it all over to finish. black stripes (3/32") and weather.

Cold cast is less forgiving cause you can't cover the aluminum with paint.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back