Sooooo....about those clones.

SNate

New Hunter
Howdy all,

Been lurking here for a few weeks now and decided to register. I like what i have seen from everyone here, great work!

I have decided to make a clone as my first armor set. I discovered the pepakura method and have a bazillion pep files now thanks to those board. I would love to purchase a set but it is just so **** expensive.

My progress so far...well...that's another story. I decided to use an iron man as a test pep to see if i even had the patience to do it. It worked well. Thus far I have done a Rex (toon) helmet, and just finishing my second clone brain bucket. I will try my hand at the resin on whichever comes out better.

I do have a few questions for you guys...
1. How big...or how should a clone bucket fit? As in how much room around my face should there be, or above my head? I know this will vary so general answers would be great.
2. I have not seen what should be used as a lens once the paper is cut out. Helmet is no good if i cannot see out of it! LoL What have you guys been using as lenses.

Thanks for any answers you guys put up!!!
One more idea i had was to put some IR LEDs on the helmet and using the screen from a digital camera on the inside for night vision. That would be kinda cool. Just a thought.

Thanks again guys and gals. Looking forward to all your input.

Nate

most folks use a #5 green welding face shield. once it's in the helmet, it looks black. cheap and easy to work with.

for the size, it's less about how much room around your face there is and more about proportions relative to your shoulders / chest. you want it all to look in scale. you'll have big shoulder pads with the armor, but in general you can look at your own head and shoulders and scale the helmet accordingly.

Welding mask
A-HA!!
I was thinking motorcycle visor but could not think of a way to make it fit.

Thanks for the input!!
Scaling pep is the hardest thing ever.

I would love to purchase a set but it is just so **** expensive.

You need to do more research to see what you are getting into; this hobby is not a cheap one. A basic clone costs more than a TK, but the clone is about 1/3 (conservative) the cost of a quality Fett. It's possible to put together a good looking basic clone for a grand. Purchase the parts in stages and work on those parts while saving funds for the others. Get a helmet or blaster first and work on them before the big armor purchase. A lot has to do with what are your goals of this costume; 501st? Crashing Halloween parties? Cons?

Where you at in PA?

Agreed... you should know what you are getting yourself into.

I spent a couple thousand dollars scratch building my clone. WAY more than I'd have spent on a kit, and it took a lot longer.

I am in NE PA...right on the border of NY and NJ.

I would get much more satisfaction knowing I built it myself anyway. Plus it gives me something to occupy my time when not working! LoL
501st? Maybe eventually. Cons...most definitely.

I remember seeing ANH at the drive in when I was small and I have been enthralled ever since. I remember seeing Empire and Jedi at the movies as a child...sat through Empire twice in one day. I remember thinking to myself that one day I would have a stormtrooper outfit of my very own, maybe even a Darth. I am just making that childhood thought a reality...and once again I would get more satisfaction building it myself.

I built Clone Armor myself, took a couple of years. It takes enormous dedication, an understanding family, plenty of money and a large work area and storage space. I built three suits of TK armor before tackling Clone Armor, and even with that experience, I would consider Clone Armor an advanced costuming project.

Update...

I have decided to do an animated Rex clone for my first. Pep bucket is built and just finished applying resin. Will update with pics as I progress.
I did a search and there were many tuts on weathering. Can anyone recommend a good one?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back