First clone helmet paintup!

clonecollector

Well-Known Hunter
This a MR Ep III recast... and my first ever attempt at painting a clone. I know the earcaps are not done yet but I will get to them this weekend.

I painted it up using matte white Rustoleum spraypaint. I used matte black for the browband. For the weathering I used black, tan, and brown acrylic paints watered down and sometimes dabbed on with a pice of sponge or a pin. Let me know what you guys think about my weathering here.

DSC00809.JPG

DSC00810.JPG

DSC00811.JPG

DSC00812.JPG

DSC00813.JPG

DSC00814.JPG

DSC00815.JPG

DSC00816.JPG

DSC00817.JPG

DSC00818.JPG

Nice weathering so is it all topical or is some of it sanded thru? i guess in theorie if it was real the weathering would be topical coz there suposed to be made from a white materilal (cant think what its called)
Either way youve done a great job

Thank you Jinto...

The weathering is all topical. From what I've read at ct.net and discussing with members there topical is the way to go with clones. It's a very differnet painting process than the layered Fett method. I have used about 3 or 4 different colors to weather with however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some more pics here. I added the vent detail to the back since the helmet had a soft detail. I used some finger moulding for that. The chin greeblie is not centered in my pic but I have fixed it now. Let me know what you think!

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

Looks great man! The ONLY thing id suggest is thinning the edges/depth around the lens opening. There should be a line there to show the approx thickness of the MR it was cast from. I LOVE the molding mod! nice touch!

Looks great man! The ONLY thing id suggest is thinning the edges/depth around the lens opening. There should be a line there to show the approx thickness of the MR it was cast from. I LOVE the molding mod! nice touch!

Thanks Lou! I will have to sand the visor area down a bit. (I hope I can still see where... :) )

This guy is almost done. I painted and weathered the earcaps. I used the same gray as the frown... I hand painted a black band at the base. I weathered the caps with some thinned brown acrylic.

I also made a removeable visor using 5 chacago screws and washers. I think the only think left to do is get decals of the tubestipes, add some mesh to the frown and some padding at the top.

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

Thank you guys! I'm in the middle of working on the armor now. Its a slow process... lots of sanding and filling for the seamless look. I'll get the armor pics up eventually too.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back