AVG users BEWARE!

dung0beetle

Active Hunter
The update to the 2011 version of AVG antivirus will not allow your system to start.
From what I understand, this affects all Windows operating systems (xp, Vista, 7) and affects both the free, and paid versions of AVG.
If you have AVG, either uninstall it or set the automatic updates within AVG to notify but do not install. This problem has not been fixed by AVG. Their forums are full of customer complaints because of this. They claim that the issue is caused by a Zone Alarm toolbar bug, but I do not have Zone Alarm and have never had Zone Alarm on my computer. From reading the error report, the issue is with AVG renaming or deleting a system file and not replacing it upon restart. This error has ruined my opinion of AVG. They should know better. I'm not going to use or recommend their software any longer. I'm not telling you to boycott AVG, but I'm just sharing my experience.

Luckily, I had a complete backup from October, so I was able to restore everything.

from AVGs forum...
Hello all,

Please see update towards the bottom of this post

we regret to inform you that latest virus database 271.1.1/3292 (432/3292) released 12:53 AM CET requested computer restart with inability to start the system again with error:

STOP: c0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

We have immediately downgraded published failing version to fully functional 271.1.1/3291 (432/3291).

If you have unfortunately met mentioned error, please follow these steps:

If is possible to boot into Safe Mode, then run System Restore before the night AVG update and re-install AVG.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back