Building home theater

jarodpenn

Active Hunter
Yo.
I'm turning the frontroom entertainment center into a small incarnation of my dad's movie theater; I'd like to have a proscenium arch framing the flat-panel and all.

I know you have some good ones that you're all proud of. I need some ideas, advise, and heads-up on problems you all had with your builds.

Pics'd be awesome!

You talking about cabinets or components? I'd go with a HTPC, skip all the Google TV and sling boxes. Build a machine with a nice vid card (with the right res/ports for your TV) and you're good to go for gaming, TV, movies, and internet. The trick is finding a nice case that blends in with the rest of your stuff.

EDIT-

Here's a blurry pic of my keyboard and fan control. I'm not gonna list specs (unless you want them), because it kinda goes off topic. Its all hooked up to a 46" Sharp Aquos and has a Blu-ray drive. I used to have an Elite 360 mixed in there, but sold it off to make room for the new version, and the black Wii. I'm gonna pick those up at tax time. I'm all about PC gaming at the moment anyway. ;)

2010-12-01001621.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
JarodPenn - Could you post up some pictures of the area you have to work with? Also, how much freedom do you have to rmodel the area. And what exactly do you want hooked up in there? (Like DirecTV, PS3, etc) Also what are you doing for audio? I recomment any receiver that will take both Dolby Digital and DTS audio, to get the highest quality surround sound.

Devilstar2k2 - How do you like the Rii remote? What kind of range do you get with it? I'm always tempted to pick one up but for my HTPC I don't really need the mouse, just using keyboard shortcuts to get around. I have a full sized mouse in the theater also if I really need it.

Never really tested it on purpose... I guess the most I've personally done with it is about 15 ft. I'm usually about 8 ft from my PC. The only gripe I have is that with the 2.4 version, sometimes if I have the Rii too low in comparison with the receiver, it doesn't read the keystrokes. Not the Rii's fault though, its the way that I have it set up. I just need to move the receiver to a better position. I have it plugged into a cord already, just too lazy to find a good spot for it.

It's definitely worth the $50... I used to have the DiNovo Mini, and it was a POS. The lid was annoying and it required battery pulls every 2-3 days because it liked to freeze. The sad part is that they ALL do that, and Logitech doesn't care. Its the only bad Logitech product that I've ever owned. I'd take one Rii over twenty DiNovos.

EDIT-

BTW, I've been using this Rii for about 3-4 months now... No problems whatsoever (besides the one thats my fault).

Also, they are offered in blue-tooth now. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing... If it works as well as this one does, it might be a good thing. I don't like how this one has a hole in the top when the receiver isn't being stored in it. =P

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really interesting. I didn't know the DiNovo was trash, thanks for the heads up. I've been using full sized keyboards and not having any trouble at a distance of about 12 feet (with the receiver behind the projector screen) and so far so good after around 5 months. Microsoft makes really solid hardware. I'm just using the computer for watching videos though, not much internet browsing, so I really only need the keyboard. I'll put up some pictures later of the setup. It's a converted garage, with the door still intact and able to open, but the theater portion isolated from the door side by a wall we build, with just enough room to park a motorcycle.

askywalker98-
My amazing wife is giving me as much freedom as I need (probably within reason). I'm not really talking about the media components per-se, I'm just talking about the overall finished theme; the asthetics. When I say I'm building a 'home theater' I mean I'm literally building a small represention of the interior of a movie theater as our ent. center. Imaging how a mantle frames a fireplace, I want to build a proscenium arch and curtians to frame a mounted flatpanel, and a small media storage center to act as a faux stage underneath. Don't have any pics of the room I can post right now, but the wall I'm working with is about 15ft.

Whoops... Sorry about that, bud. I thought you were looking to build with components. I have no idea how to build the displays and such.

No sweat, Devilstar, you have a freaking SWEET setup. Component-wise, I'm just looking a hooking up our PS3, Wii, and occasionally our computer.

Hmm... well, in that regard, you should consider checking out AVS Forum for all kinds of home theater tips. If you have the money and are not already invested in a TV, I would recommend looking into a projector. It all depends on your setup and budget though. Poke around that forum's showoff threads for some inspiration, I'm sure you'll find something :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back