Discussion, research for the definative Wookie braid layout?

I may have found a cheap alternative to horse hair. I obtained some thin rope which I washed , unbraided ,soaked in boiling water, wire brushed straight against a hard surface (makes the strands as fine as human hair!!) ,replatted and dyed using Dylon. Result... three sets of three wookie scalps for under £5 ($10?).:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Brak's Buddy wrote:

If anyone is still intereste din this, I'd like to look into getting a defintive layout for the set seen at MoM.

MoM_Braids_01.jpg

This is what I believe I am seeing so far:

1 - Large black braided loop that goes around arm, ties back to itself then has a tail that hangs down. I believe the braided part is synthetic but the very end (the unbraided part) is real black hair... Maybe horse hair.

2 - Large yellow blonde braided loop that goes around arm, ties back to itself then has a tail that hangs down. I believe the braided part is synthetic but the very end (the unbraided part) is real blonde hair. You can clearly see in the image above that the unbraided part is a different color and does not have the same look/texture as the braided part. Maybe horse hair.

3 - Small black/platinum blonde braided loop that goes around arm and ties back to itself. Has a smaller all black braided loop that is tied to it which goes almost all the way around the arm and it tied to the black/platinum mix at both ends. The the black/platinum mix has multiple tails including at least one platinum and one black tail.

any updates on this baby?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has been brought to attention, but certain (el cheapo)Halloween wigs can be cannibalized and have a similar "texture" to horse hair.

I managed to pick up some "One & Only Creations" "Wavy Hair" 5' braided doll hair. I then used cuts from the Halloween wigs to tie in with the braids for the tails.

The fem vampire wig w/ the white streaks worked well for the platinum tail and the black made great "horse hair" tails for the end of the braids.

Also, I used grey wool crepe hair and inter-wove it with a black braid to replicate the platinum/black braid the "the mess" stems from.

I'm currently waiting on the "sunshine blonde/yellow" "One & Only Creations" braid to come in to complete the scalp braids. I'm attaching a natural blond mohair tail to it.

Outside of the boots, the braids are the only element to complete for my suit. I procrastinated (typical)on this part!

In closing, if I didn't believe Boba Fett had a particular "reserve" & "patience" per his skill(s) as a bounty hunter, braiding @#$@$% wookie hair should have sent him WAY over the edge!

........and I thought painting was tedious

Again... any update on this? I'm hoping someone can post a drawing of the individual "loops" of braids. The description of the smaller, mixed color braid confuses the Hell out of me. :confused

Has anyone come up with anything conclusive? I've been madly trying to figure out the ESB braids, and there would be some great reference shots when Boba Fett is in Slave1, only it's too dark to really get any detail from no matter what I try in Photoshop.

And, is that just red thread tied around the one braid:

wookiebraids.jpg

And is the other blue?

And what is going on here:

wookiebraids2.jpg

Cheers!
TJ

I thought some of the hair was goat hair also?? And did't they say the braids were supposed to be Wookie scalps?

Geo wrote:

I thought some of the hair was goat hair also?? And did't they say the braids were supposed to be Wookie scalps?

Yeah man. Didn't you see all those Rastafarian wookies in the ROTS trailer? ;)

Cheers!
TJ

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back