Discussion, research for the definative Wookie braid layout?

Lynn TXP 0369

Well-Known Hunter
Has anybody done a or drawn up a Definative Wookie/Jedi braid layout?
It is kind of hard to tell in the MoM/AOSW pics exactly how the briads are laid down and where they go
Has anyone researched this enough to make a diagrame of it?

I know some go under and over the arm, some just over, the little ones just attached etc.

But how EXACTLY do they go? anyone care to help and get this down so it is accurate???

It looks like they used hair eztensions for the the ends on some because they look so straight and curled at the ends.

Lynn

I have been looking at these for a while as well and have a good idea of how they are put together. But the thing that really gets me is how they got the black and white braid to look like that :confused

Last edited by a moderator:

Appolo_50 wrote:

I have been looking at these for a while as well and have a good idea of how they are put together. But the thing that really gets me is how they got the black and white braid to look like that :confused

Do you have any drawings you made of how you think they go?

I'm thinking that may be one out of the three braids is woven in for the funky two colored braid, but I think more of it would show if tha was the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't have a drawing of what I think yet. But if you want me to I could probably make one. Keeping in mind of course that it would in no way be the definitive layout... but it would hopefully be a good start.

Appolo_50 wrote:

Well I don't have a drawing of what I think yet. But if you want me to I could probably make one. Keeping in mind of course that it would in no way be the definitive layout... but it would hopefully be a good start.

Yes, lets please see a drawing the best I can figure out is it looks like they're in "q" fashion shape to allow them to go under the arm and over the shoulder with one draped over the shoulder and some smaller braids attached to the "q" shape.

Lynn

For accuracy some of the wookiee braids are made from horse hair. I think the original set was all horse hair but it got split up over the years and missing pieces were replaced with doll hair. I have spoken to the person that made them originally.

Lee

for starters, I think there are 5 main braids: 2 black, (different sizes) one blonde, one white, and one black/white combo braid.

The blonde braid loops around the shoulder and reconnects on the other side, as does the large black braid.

The white braid starts behind the shoulder and goes underneath the arm, where it splits into 2 braids, one that goes down to the waist. and the other that goes up a ways and gets tied into "the mess"

The black/white braid does a loop around the shoulder with and both ends connect into "the mess". The same goes for the small black braid.

The brown braid starts in "the mess" and hangs down to about the waist.

I believe thats all the braids, the only thing that confuses me is "the mess" as I like to call it. If anyone wants to try and sort out how that thing is put together, go for it! I have tried to no avail.

Anyways, feel free to disagree to anything I just wrote, because like I said before its only my opinion.

from what i can tell on braks CD, it looks like 3 braids, 1 black, one blonde and one mixed color on ESB. the black and blonde loop around the shoulder and split off into 1 like the letter Q and the mixed seems to do the same but the end is left unbraided for a few inches

the rotj version has 4 all tangled into a mess from 1 blonde braid

interesting....i just bought some hair for .99 cents...its way long enough too....hmmm, not to go look at the cd ref. pix to see "the mess"

I second Lee on the horse hair thing. Being from Texas, I've seen plenty of horse-hair cowboy hatbands that look exactly like that black/white/blond mix.

horsehair.jpg

I'd look in a western wear store or a equestrian tack shop. Remember, the girth belt also came from a tack shop. Hmmm...

batninja wrote:

I second Lee on the horse hair thing. Being from Texas, I've seen plenty of horse-hair cowboy hatbands that look exactly like that black/white/blond mix.
I'd look in a western wear store or a equestrian tack shop. Remember, the girth belt also came from a tack shop. Hmmm...

I have talked with a few horse people that come into my work about getting the horse hair in the leghtens needed for the braids and all have said the same thing, to get what you need to do this your are talking about $300-$500+ to do it. The blond horse hair alone can be $250+ just by itself.
Unless I go and sneek into a pasture and cut off part of a horses tail, it is not gonna happen for me on the horse hair, I can't see spending that much on it.

Lynn

Besides...it might stink a little bit :lol:

You can get that hair braid stuff at Wally World now. I have some real dark brown left over from a Klingon mask i made many years ago. That's what I'm going to use for one of them...If I can talk the wife into braiding it for me.

You could also look in this Korean stores where they sell lots of hair stuff like wigs, braids, etc...(you have the idea)... ;)

Robert

Keep in mind that the braids seen at AoSW and at MoM are different so don't mix and match your reference photos!

The MoM set seems to be the more definitive set that is seen the most.

THis is what I came up with for an ESB setup. One platimum blonde, (thicker & shorter than the other 2 braids,) one dirty blonde, and one black. From most of the pics I've been looking at, The large Platinum braid pretty much sits right on top of the black braid kinda hiding it, whats more,you never really see the ends of the black braid, so I was thinking they might be tied together under the arm. The platinum one seems to pretty much stay put, and the dirty blonde one seems to flop all over & is sometimes hanging off the side of the arm, so I tied this to the outside of the braids. please let me know if you guys think I'm heading in the right direction w/ this setup:). I know the pics really suck:( but its the best I could do for now. Thanx,
Damian

braids1.JPG

braids2.JPG

I have some spare horse hair. I got a deal on it since I'm a pesistent little fan and called the horse shaving factory or whatever they do there LOL and got it at cost. I have like 3 or 4 diff colors. The stuff isn't cheap especially the blond stuff but I got a deal on it since it was cut 16" instead of 24" a little trickery in splicing and I had my braids. I had them on at Dragon con. I spent like $150 for all of my hair but it was enough for many braids.

Lee

If anyone is still intereste din this, I'd like to look into getting a defintive layout for the set seen at MoM.

MoM_Braids_01.jpg

This is what I believe I am seeing so far:

1 - Large black braided loop that goes around arm, ties back to itself then has a tail that hangs down. I believe the braided part is synthetic but the very end (the unbraided part) is real black hair... Maybe horse hair.

2 - Large yellow blonde braided loop that goes around arm, ties back to itself then has a tail that hangs down. I believe the braided part is synthetic but the very end (the unbraided part) is real blonde hair. You can clearly see in the image above that the unbraided part is a different color and does not have the same look/texture as the braided part. Maybe horse hair.

3 - Small black/platinum blonde braided loop that goes around arm and ties back to itself. Has a smaller all black braided loop that is tied to it which goes almost all the way around the arm and it tied to the black/platinum mix at both ends. The the black/platinum mix has multiple tails including at least one platinum and one black tail.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back